Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: my chp

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    STUARTS DRAFT, VA, ,
    Posts
    94

    Post imported post

    hey guys and gals i'm goin tommorrow to turn in my application for chp in staunton [ augusta circuit courts] has anyone gotten one thru this county that can tell me about how long it takes them? My cousin got his in a city in rockbridge took 3 weeks another friend got his in 10 days. Just wondering the average time in augusta.

    Oh i did the online class for training hope its not a pain in the you know what, if it is i can pull my hunter saftey from north carolina i guess. thanks for the info and i'm bettin concealing wont be as nerve racking as that first oc man talk bout nerves umm

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    POORBOY wrote:
    hey guys and gals i'm goin tommorrow to turn in my application for chp in staunton [ augusta circuit courts] has anyone gotten one thru this county that can tell me about how long it takes them? My cousin got his in a city in rockbridge took 3 weeks another friend got his in 10 days. Just wondering the average time in augusta.

    Oh i did the online class for training hope its not a pain in the you know what, if it is i can pull my hunter saftey from north carolina i guess. thanks for the info and i'm bettin concealing wont be as nerve racking as that first oc man talk bout nerves umm
    My guess is that it will all go smooth as silk and you will have it in a couple weeks.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    STUARTS DRAFT, VA, ,
    Posts
    94

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    POORBOY wrote:
    hey guys and gals i'm goin tommorrow to turn in my application for chp in staunton [ augusta circuit courts] has anyone gotten one thru this county that can tell me about how long it takes them? My cousin got his in a city in rockbridge took 3 weeks another friend got his in 10 days. Just wondering the average time in augusta.

    Oh i did the online class for training hope its not a pain in the you know what, if it is i can pull my hunter saftey from north carolina i guess. thanks for the info and i'm bettin concealing wont be as nerve racking as that first oc man talk bout nerves umm
    My guess is that it will all go smooth as silk and you will have it in a couple weeks.
    Ha i hope so but with my luck i dunno lol

  4. #4
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    Expect anywhere between 30 and 45 days.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southside, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    45

    Post imported post

    Greetings from Southside. Got mine in 10 days last month with a DD214 (dated 1975)

  6. #6
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Sheriff wrote:
    It's been reported in another thread that a group of Virginia judges were at a conference and decided amongst themselves that the online courses were not acceptable.
    Link to that thread?
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    40

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    Sheriff wrote:
    It's been reported in another thread that a group of Virginia judges were at a conference and decided amongst themselves that the online courses were not acceptable.
    Link to that thread?
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/19462.html

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    227

    Post imported post

    Sheriff wrote:
    POORBOY wrote:
    Oh i did the online class for training hope its not a pain in the you know what...
    It's been reported in another thread that a group of Virginia judges were at a conference and decided amongst themselves that the online courses were not acceptable.

    So, please keep us posted what happens with your application.

    Didn't a law pass saying they were acceptable? When does that start taking effect? Or am I thinking of something else?

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    hometheaterman wrote:
    Sheriff wrote:
    POORBOY wrote:
    Oh i did the online class for training hope its not a pain in the you know what...
    It's been reported in another thread that a group of Virginia judges were at a conference and decided amongst themselves that the online courses were not acceptable.

    So, please keep us posted what happens with your application.

    Didn't a law pass saying they were acceptable? When does that start taking effect? Or am I thinking of something else?
    It's right on the State Police Website. I'd go to court.. turn in my paperwork.. when it was not accepted.. I would call the state police and make a report (to get the dates and times and facts all "in the system"). I would then start the escalation process. Upper Courts, Letters, etc. Some sitting judge does not have the authority to break the law themselves.. Especially one that is clear as day.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373

    Post imported post

    The practical solution is to attach evidence from both the online course and the NC hunter ed course. There's no question in my mind that online courses are not adequate, but there's also no question in my mind that if it's taught by an instructor who has the necessary certification, that it's perfectly legal to use it in support of your CHP App.

    One more important piece of advice to everyone applying or re-applying: Make copies of absolutely everything you turn in to the clerk, including the check, staple it all together, and get the clerk to file-stamp your copy for you. In some places, that's the only way you can establish that your forty-five days are up and you're entitled to the provisional license. Unfortunately the burden is on the applicant to prove that, and some folks will make you do it even though they've got the records to prove it themselves. And some folks will need to take an appeal from a denial, and for that you have to have the copies.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    242

    Post imported post

    mine took exactly 45 days

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    227

    Post imported post

    Sheriff wrote:
    I got mine almost instantly. But I was a sworn deputy sheriff at the time, and I actually worked for the judge who signed it. And each time it has come up for renewal, it's almost an overnight process as well because the judges all know me personally andobviously know my prior experiences and qualifications. Favoritism being shown? Of course not, they simply have the benefit of knowing the applicant well.
    Just curious what county are you the sheriff of? Not that it really matters a ton so if you don't want to post it that's fine. I've just wondered this for a while now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •