• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

my chp

POORBOY

imported post

hey guys and gals i'm goin tommorrow to turn in my application for chp in staunton [ augusta circuit courts] has anyone gotten one thru this county that can tell me about how long it takes them? My cousin got his in a city in rockbridge took 3 weeks another friend got his in 10 days. Just wondering the average time in augusta.

Oh i did the online class for training hope its not a pain in the you know what, if it is i can pull my hunter saftey from north carolina i guess. thanks for the info and i'm bettin concealing wont be as nerve racking as that first oc man talk bout nerves umm

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

POORBOY wrote:
hey guys and gals i'm goin tommorrow to turn in my application for chp in staunton [ augusta circuit courts] has anyone gotten one thru this county that can tell me about how long it takes them? My cousin got his in a city in rockbridge took 3 weeks another friend got his in 10 days. Just wondering the average time in augusta.

Oh i did the online class for training hope its not a pain in the you know what, if it is i can pull my hunter saftey from north carolina i guess. thanks for the info and i'm bettin concealing wont be as nerve racking as that first oc man talk bout nerves umm
My guess is that it will all go smooth as silk and you will have it in a couple weeks.

POORBOY

imported post

ed wrote:
POORBOY wrote:

My guess is that it will all go smooth as silk and you will have it in a couple weeks.
Ha i hope so but with my luck i dunno lol

Sheriff

imported post

POORBOY wrote:
Oh i did the online class for training hope its not a pain in the you know what...
It's been reported in another thread that a group of Virginia judges were at a conference and decided amongst themselves that the online courses were not acceptable.

So, please keep us posted what happens with your application.

hometheaterman

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
POORBOY wrote:
Oh i did the online class for training hope its not a pain in the you know what...
It's been reported in another thread that a group of Virginia judges were at a conference and decided amongst themselves that the online courses were not acceptable.

Didn't a law pass saying they were acceptable? When does that start taking effect? Or am I thinking of something else?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
POORBOY wrote:

Didn't a law pass saying they were acceptable? When does that start taking effect? Or am I thinking of something else?
It's right on the State Police Website. I'd go to court.. turn in my paperwork.. when it was not accepted.. I would call the state police and make a report (to get the dates and times and facts all "in the system"). I would then start the escalation process. Upper Courts, Letters, etc. Some sitting judge does not have the authority to break the law themselves.. Especially one that is clear as day.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The practical solution is to attach evidence from both the online course and the NC hunter ed course. There's no question in my mind that online courses are not adequate, but there's also no question in my mind that if it's taught by an instructor who has the necessary certification, that it's perfectly legal to use it in support of your CHP App.

One more important piece of advice to everyone applying or re-applying: Make copies of absolutely everything you turn in to the clerk, including the check, staple it all together, and get the clerk to file-stamp your copy for you. In some places, that's the only way you can establish that your forty-five days are up and you're entitled to the provisional license. Unfortunately the burden is on the applicant to prove that, and some folks will make you do it even though they've got the records to prove it themselves. And some folks will need to take an appeal from a denial, and for that you have to have the copies.

Sheriff

imported post

I got mine almost instantly. But I was a sworn deputy sheriff at the time, and I actually worked for the judge who signed it. And each time it has come up for renewal, it's almost an overnight process as well because the judges all know me personally andobviously know my prior experiences and qualifications. Favoritism being shown? Of course not, they simply have the benefit of knowing the applicant well.

hometheaterman

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I got mine almost instantly. But I was a sworn deputy sheriff at the time, and I actually worked for the judge who signed it. And each time it has come up for renewal, it's almost an overnight process as well because the judges all know me personally andobviously know my prior experiences and qualifications. Favoritism being shown? Of course not, they simply have the benefit of knowing the applicant well.
Just curious what county are you the sheriff of? Not that it really matters a ton so if you don't want to post it that's fine. I've just wondered this for a while now.

Sheriff

imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
Just curious what county are you the sheriff of? Not that it really matters a ton so if you don't want to post it that's fine. I've just wondered this for a while now.

I'm not currently. I was a sworn deputy sheriff in Virginia for over 25+ years.

I am now what I call semi-retired. Another phrase for "lazy". :lol:

"Sheriff" is a user name I adopted many years ago and have used in many discussion forums on the Internet. Amazingly enough, "Sheriff" is still available as a user nameon a lot of forums I register on nowadays.