• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB2184 - Arkansas Open Carry Law has been filed!

cmatthews40510

imported post

Today Representative Mark Martin filed HR2184. This bill could bring Arkansas back into the majority regarding the open carry of firearms. Currently 44 states allow some type of open carry. We feel this bill will bring Arkansas back into the mainstream and provide her citizens more adequate means to do a job the state cannot and will not do, offer personal protection against criminals and their actions. Read the bill here.

http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2009/R/Pages/BillInformation.aspx?measureno=HB2184

Thanks,

Chris Matthews

www.arkansascarry.com

sharps_74

imported post

I can't use the link, it pulls up the page and tells me that it's detected an error and ask if I want to send an error report. I hate pdf.

Anyhow, I'm sure it will get passed. Most police around my area don't care if you o.c. as long as you're not being immature about it.

Pass the ammo

imported post

HB2184 is in the House Judiciary Commitee and is scheduled for discussion tomorrow (March 31, 2009). I absolutely support the right to openly carry within our state, but I believe that the proposed bill as written is flawed in its language and would consequently restrict where and when one would be able to carry a handgun for self defense even for those who legally carry concealed. The bill would also diminish the perception of the general public about those of us who responsibly carry a weapon by not placing any restrictions or instructional prerequisites at all on those who would carry a weapon in plain sight and would negatively impact public awareness and perception of handguns for self defense.

After studying the proposed bill, I contacted Representative Martin directly and suggested a few changes which would fix these issues.I received an arrogant and "my way, take it or leave it" response from Rep. Martin (who apparently isn't aware that he''s a state not a US representative, because he cited the second amendment instead of Article 2, section 5 of the Arkansas constitution). Obviously, Representative Martin stating that he would "work with both sides" on this issue was a "bit" off cue and disingenuous.

Subsequent to Rep. Martin's curtly advising me to contact a "liberal representative"in his reply, I took him up on his advice and contacted every member of the Judiciary Commitee and expressed my concerns in writing. I have received several positive responses in which the members voiced the same concerns I have for the language of the proposed bill.

My hope is that we Arkansans who choose to take the responsility to carry a handgun will not be so hasty inthe desire to finally have legal open carry in our state, that we will either continue to haveineptly written bills sponsored which have no chance of passage, or even worse, a poorly written bill passed into law which would erode our rights through its flawed language. If we are to finally have what other states already enjoy, then let's promote a practical law which provides not only for our rights to bear arms, but one which provides for the welfare, safety, and peace of mind for all our citizens - even those who do not own a handgun. If we have to wait a bit longer in order to have a good law which will stand the test of time, then so be it.