• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho Gun Law/Rights Tri-Fold Brochure READY!

idahoguy84

imported post

Fellow supporters of our RKBA,
attached is the second draft of a brochure outlining Idaho law concerning state preemption, concealed carry, open carry, self-defense, unlawful exhibition or use of deadly weapons, and some background materials on our RKBA.

I'd love to hear input from those of you who OC concerning what other info might need to be incorporated. I don't OC that much, as the majority of my law student life is spent under the watchful eyes of the campus Gestapo at University of Idaho.

Thanks to rpyne for providing a copy of the Utah pamphlet, thefirstrike for suggesting the project, and NightOwl for layout advice.

The attachment is in PDF format, landscape layout. Left and right margins are 1/2 inch, top and bottom 1/4 inch, so it should work on most desktop printers.

sincerely,
idahoguy84

idahoguy84

imported post

You are free to use this in whatever way you see fit.

If you want to be technical, this brochure is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike License 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode) which basically means you can do whatever you want with it as long as you credit the source and apply the same license to whatever you turn it into.

If anyone wants the original in PUB format (Microsoft Publisher 2007) it's contained in the attached ZIP file.

surfj9009

imported post

Agreed. Looks great but needs a bit more color. I am happy to know that now when I go to CDA I can have one of these in my pocket for the next time some door guy at Cabelas decides he wants to pester me!

hitbackfirst

imported post

Excellent! Thank you for creating it. I would not worry about adding color as many people, myself included, do most of their printing in black only. Consider also, that if we wish to disseminate these brochures widely, the ability to reproduce them at minimal cost is paramount.

thefirststrike

imported post

idahoguy84 wrote:
attached is the second draft of a brochure outlining Idaho law concerning state preemption, concealed carry, open carry, self-defense, unlawful exhibition or use of deadly weapons, and some background materials on our RKBA.

I'd love to hear input from those of you who OC concerning what other info might need to be incorporated. I don't OC that much, as the majority of my law student life is spent under the watchful eyes of the campus Gestapo at University of Idaho.

Thanks to rpyne for providing a copy of the Utah pamphlet, thefirstrike for suggesting the project, and NightOwl for layout advice.

The attachment is in PDF format, landscape layout. Left and right margins are 1/2 inch, top and bottom 1/4 inch, so it should work on most desktop printers.

sincerely,
idahoguy84
idahoguy84--

Thanks for putting this together...you whipped it out much faster than I could have. I really wanted to do it, but I didn't have the slightest idea how to start. Cool that you could do it so quickly. Looks good, now if I can just get my printer set up to print it correctly! Thanks again.

Dave

thefirststrike

imported post

idahoguy84 wrote:

sincerely,
idahoguy84
idahoguy84--

Thanks for putting this together...you whipped it out much faster than I could have. I really wanted to do it, but I didn't have the slightest idea how to start. Cool that you could do it so quickly. Looks good, now if I can just get my printer set up to print it correctly! Thanks again.

Dave

idahoguy84

imported post

For those of you who have asked, here's a color version - some green and red to liven things up, and a smaller serif font for better readability. For Dave and others whose printers don't support 1/2 inch side margins (landscape), this version has side margins increased to 5/8 inch and top and bottom margins increased to 1/2 inch.

I've enjoyed doing this - it's a nice break from stuffy law books, and lets me use my publishing skills from undergrad. If you have other suggestions for creating documents, posters, business cards, or whatever that might benefit the OC/CC community, let me know.

idahoguy84

IDEagleEye

imported post

Very cool brochure! Thanks for putting it together and sharing it!

I will ask the same question in this thread as I asked in the "Cops called on me at Boise Public Library" post:

There is an executive order signed by then-governor Phil Batt back in 1996 declaring the Capital Mall Area a weapons-free zone

EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 96-03

ESTABLISH THE CAPITOL MALL AREA AS A WEAPON FREE ZONE

You can see it here: [url]http://adm.idaho.gov/adminrules/bulletin/bul/96bul/apr96.pdf[/url]

"Capitol Mall Area" means: the Statehouse, Joe R. Williams Building (700 West State Street); Len B. Jordan Building (650 West State Street); State Parking Garage (550 West State Street) and the Towers Building (450 West State Street), including all underground tunnels which provide a walkway between these buildings

I would be very interested to hear if anyone has input on this issue.

FMCDH

imported post

The two red sections seem differ with each other. Apparently its important that weapons both NOT be allowed for protection, but at the same time that they BE allowed for protection. Hmm... Sounds like a direct attack at citizens saying everyone BUT them can be trusted from carrying weapons, so once again, everyone including criminals are carrying weapons, but not the LAC.

So in effect, he hasnt made a "weapon free zone" he has made a "selective victim zone". I think he was trying to tell LACs not to come to the capital. LOL

Real smart. :quirky

Not sure how it works in Idaho, but since this is an "Executive Order" and not a law that was enacted by the State Legislature, I believe when the Governor leaves office, his executive orders go with him unless the incoming Governor adopts it. Unless you can find a similar EO under the name of the current Governor, the only way to know for sure is to contact your Governor's office and ask about this.

THE OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR
EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT
STATE OF IDAHO
BOISE
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 96-03
ESTABLISH THE CAPITOL MALL AREA AS A WEAPON FREE ZONE

WHEREAS,
the protection of elected officials and employees of state government
from the potential threat of weapons in the work environment is a vital concern
; and

WHEREAS, it is in the best interests of state officials, employees and the general
public, and the efficient and safe operation of state government, to ensure the highest level of safety in the Capitol Mall Area; and

WHEREAS, there is currently no restriction on the possession of weapons in the
Capitol Mall Area; and

WHEREAS, allowing state elected officials and peace officers the ability to
continue to carry a weapon in the Capitol Mall Area is necessary for the protection of the elected officials, state employees, and the general public
;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, PHILIP E. BATT, Governor of the state of Idaho, by the
authority vested in me under the Constitution and laws of this state do hereby order as follows:

1. Unless expressly exempted below, possession of a weapon in the Capitol
Mall Area by any individual at any time is expressly prohibited.

2. The following individuals are exempt from this Executive Order:
a. State Elected Officials;
b. Peace officers as defined in Idaho Code Section 19-5101;
c. Criminal investigators of the attorney general's office or a county
prosecuting attorney's office; and
d. Individuals or organizations displaying weapons as part of a historical
or cultural presentation who have received written permission from the Office of the
Governor.

3. The term "weapon" means: (1) any type of firearm or (2) any knife or
similar object which has a blade in excess of six (6) inches in length.

4. "Capitol Mall Area" means: the Statehouse, Joe R. Williams Building
(700 West State Street); Len B. Jordan Building (650 West State Street); State Parking Garage (550 West State Street) and the Towers Building (450 West State Street), including all underground tunnels which provide a walkway between these buildings.