• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ok now, but seriusly folks!!

40s-and-wfan

imported post

This is coming from someone formerly in the Law Enforcement field:

I'm no longer a police officer but I still hold to a lot of the ideals and the habits I learned while in that field. I was always taught to be cautious during traffic stops when learning the subject was armed but here's the scenario: (Kinda' based on a recent experience of mine)

You're driving down the road between here and there and out of nowhere an MHP Trooper comes up behind you with his purty lights flashing. You obey and pull into a nice empty parking lot so as not to put you or the Trooper in danger. He comes up to the window and tells you he pulled you over for speeding, you then hand him your license and all other pertinent information. The trooper is very friendly and talks about nothing in particular during the course of the stop. Do you tell him you're OC'ing or do you keep that on the 'D-L' since it's out of sight?

I'll tell you, I didn't say a thing when this happened to me this past week. I got pulled over by an MHP Trooper and he was friendly as can be. I didn't tell him I was carrying, not because I was scared of his reaction as some might think, but because I chose not to tell him. Nothing illegal about the whole stop, aside from my speed, but I chose not to say anything. I wouldn't have said anything if it was out of sight anywhere else in the car either, but that's just me.

I know there are those reading this who will say I should have announced the presence of a firearm to the Trooper, but I have theories about that. Don't let this counfuse you, I didn't refrain because I was afraid or anything. I didn't tel him out of choice.

Now, let the criticism fly! I want to know what others would have done. I want to know what others have to say about what I have done as well! I know this isn't completely advisable, but I'm opening myself to the opinion of others!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

40s&wfan wrote:
SNIP Do you tell him you're OC'ing or do you keep that on the 'D-L' since it's out of sight?

Huh!?!?!

To answer your question, I would not notify unless required by law.

LeMat

imported post

You're not required by law here to say anything about carrying. Whether it be concealed or otherwise.

Let the officer control the situation. Hands on the wheel, window down, license/registration/insurance, nice and friendly.......... you know the drill.

Personally, I wouldn't say anything unless asked.

Oh, and slow down. :lol:

40s-and-wfan

imported post

My thoughts exactly, don't tell them unless they ask, that's exactly why I chose not to tell anyone. I guess I just wanted to know what others would have done in the same situation! As for my speed, I guess I just won't get caught again!!

:D:dude:

MT GUNNY

imported post

If it is Obvious that you have a Firearm I say Nothing (Rifle in the seat Next to you Kind of thing). If Im CC I still dont say any thing.More than Likely He knows You maybe Carring if you are the Registerd owner of the vehical. I dont even hand them my CCP. Lately though, Ive been thinking Ill hand it over next time, Cuz everybody says they get out off the ticket that way!

40s-and-wfan

imported post

Now I agree with that. I don't say anything unless I'm reaching in the specific area where the pistol is located and if I can avoid it, I'll get everything out of that area before he comes up to the car so I don't have to tell him/her about it!! I just don't like the idea of: "Sir, would you step out of the vehicle?! Where's the handgun? I'm gonna take possession of it at this time to ensure my safety!" I know it may not beright, but I have the mentality of: I'm not going to give him my handgun for his safety unless he gives me his for my safety!!!!'

MountainGator

imported post

FWIW, Amp, I think you did EXACTLY the right thing.

Couple Observations....

In MT, EVERY LEO should assume that Every Citizen is carrying. As we all know, CCW is legal in 99+% of the state W/O a CWP, and Car Carry is legal EVERYWHERE.

Years ago, when I lived in FL... Glove Box carry was (& still is) legal there (no CHL needed).of all the times I was stopped (many DUI Road Blocks there back then) IF I had to go anywhere near the Glove Box, I notified the LEO of the HG (there-in) and then said you tell me what you want me to do.

Now I carry my MT DL, my MT CWP, my Montana Sheriff's Association Membership card and my FL CHL in a detachable fold in my wallet. The one time in the last 5 years that I have been stopped, I hand ALL of it over. My reasoning is IF the LEO can't conclude (from what I have presented) that I really am a Good Guy and that maybe he should give me a Break for doing something stupid, then she/he's a Power Hungry SOB & it ain't my lucky day!... and oh yes, the one time i DID hand it all over, the Dep. looked at it, said sorry for any inconvenience sir, handed it back, said have a nice day, and walked back to his P/U.