• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sen Ken Stolle for Va Beach Sheriff

2a4all

2a4all

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Can't wait to vote against him.
Because you think he'd make a poor sheriff, or because you don't like his G/A voting record?

If he loses his bid for sheriff, will he still be a senator? He'll be campaigning (if he decides to run) between G/A sessions, and may not have to give up his senate seat.

Getting him elected sheriff could be a way to get him out of the senate, but then would his (unknown) replacement be any better?

2a4all

imported post

TFred wrote:
Why does being a sheriff disqualify him from being a Senator?

Maybe I should read the link first... nope... doesn't say...

TFred
Because:

§ 2.2-2807. Prohibition against holding two elected offices simultaneously; exceptions.
No person shall hold more than one elected office at the same time. This section shall apply to every office elected by the qualified voters of the Commonwealth or any political subdivision or part thereof.
The qualification for and taking of the oath for a second elected office by any person shall operate to vacate any other elected office held by him.
This section shall not be construed to repeal or affect provisions of law authorizing the sharing of elected offices by two or more jurisdictions. Any person serving in more than one elected office on July 1, 1993, shall be entitled to complete the terms for which he was elected.
A person may serve as a Presidential elector while holding any other elective office of the Commonwealth or any political subdivision or part thereof, and this section shall not be construed to prohibit such dual officeholding.
Elect Stolle sheriff, and he can't be your senator anymore.

TFred

imported post

2a4all wrote:
TFred wrote:
Why does being a sheriff disqualify him from being a Senator?

Maybe I should read the link first... nope... doesn't say...

TFred

Because:
§ 2.2-2807. Prohibition against holding two elected offices simultaneously; exceptions.
No person shall hold more than one elected office at the same time. This section shall apply to every office elected by the qualified voters of the Commonwealth or any political subdivision or part thereof.
The qualification for and taking of the oath for a second elected office by any person shall operate to vacate any other elected office held by him.
This section shall not be construed to repeal or affect provisions of law authorizing the sharing of elected offices by two or more jurisdictions. Any person serving in more than one elected office on July 1, 1993, shall be entitled to complete the terms for which he was elected.
A person may serve as a Presidential elector while holding any other elective office of the Commonwealth or any political subdivision or part thereof, and this section shall not be construed to prohibit such dual officeholding.
Elect Stolle sheriff, and he can't be your senator anymore.
Very interesting, thanks for following up and posting.

TFred

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

2a4all wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Because you think he'd make a poor sheriff, or because you don't like his G/A voting record?

If he loses his bid for sheriff, will he still be a senator? He'll be campaigning (if he decides to run) between G/A sessions, and may not have to give up his senate seat.

Getting him elected sheriff could be a way to get him out of the senate, but then would his (unknown) replacement be any better?
Yea that's smart, reward his bad voting record with a sheriffs position. Just what we need more antis as LEOs. I've also have some experience with the VA Beach GOP that he's from. That's part of the reason I won't vote for him. I'm taking Thunder's advice and writing myself in I'll be the Sheriff Joe Arpaio of the east.

Thundar

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
2a4all wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:

Yea that's smart, reward his bad voting record with a sheriffs position. Just what we need more antis as LEOs. I've also have some experience with the VA Beach GOP that he's from. That's part of the reason I won't vote for him. I'm taking Thunder's advice and writing myself in I'll be the Sheriff Joe Arpaio of the east.
My son lives in VA Beach. He will vote for you. The Libertarian Party will support you if you really want to run.

2a4all

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
2a4all wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:

Electing him sheriff doesn't necessarily reward him for anything. The sheriff is basically a cushy shelf job where politically savvy people go to plan their retirement. At least you have to get elected, and Stolle is popular in Va Beach. Think of it as tossing a treat for a pesky dog into the park where animal control will snap it up.

Stolle was just elected to the senate last year, for a 6 year term. If he runs for sheriff and loses, he'll still be a senator and give you 5 more years of what you've complained about. You could wait 'till then and show your displeasure at the polls. Now that's smart!

As a sheriff, he can't do much politically, and there might be a chance to fill his vacancy with someone more sympathetic to our cause. Wouldn't the Libertarian Party rather take a crack at that?