• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Second annual California Open Carry Dinner

Will you be at the Second Annual Open Carry Dinner?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Maybe?

• Total voters

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

What: First Annual Litter Removal
When: Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 3:00 PM
Where: Meet at the Park & Ride (light rail station) located at I80 and Longview Drive.

What: Second Annual California Open Carry Dinner
When: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 5:00-7:00 PM
Where: Mountain Mike's Pizza - 7660 La Riviera Drive, Sacramento, CA

Please RSVP by private message through this forum so I know if I need to update our reservation!

Last year it wasn't on Patriots' Day weekend, but it certainly was an historical day - the first semi-formal meeting of great patriots from all corners of the state. Whether you were there or not, feel free to enjoy the stories and pictures of free men found in this thread. Heretofore I propose that we have this annual meetup on Patriots' Day weekend (the civic holiday is actually the 3rd Monday of each month, but that's a tough day to plan events on). It just seems fitting.

Anybody wishing to show their support for Open Carry is welcome to attend, even if you don't wish to carry.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I know some of you are going to ask, so I'll try to answer the questions I anticipate.

Will we be notifying/inviting Sacramento PD?

No. We didn't do that last year, and other than a couple passing cruisers on the busy street, we didn't see hide nor hair of them. I feel it would be a waste of resources and inviting violation of our rights to involve the PD. I simply refuse to do it for any event I plan.

Will we be asking the venue's permission to carry guns?

No. As I explained last year, I don't believe in asking a business if they would like the opportunity to discriminate against me. If I were the manager, I'd be rather insulted by the insinuation that I would do such a thing. Can you imagine calling ahead to ask if we could talk about religion or politics in their restaurant?! Of course not, it's silly. If for some reason the venue doesn't want our business, I will be sure to have alternatives lined up. It's really a minor inconvenience. Trust me, it will be equally inconvenient for the venue to have a large party cancel at the last minute.

ETA: Just wanted to add that, as usual, I'll be practicing "sterile carry" by leaving my ID in the car. I encourage everybody to do the same, not just for this dinner, but all the time.

That's all I can think of for now, please post any other questions here.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Also, please post here if you want to participate in carpooling. Last year we had some patriots drive all the way from LA to have dinner with us! That's what I call dedication!

I will be driving from Modesto, CA along Hwy 99. However, I already have 2 that I'm almost certain will be going... maybe more. We may end up taking 2 or 3 cars if I can get them all to go this year. I can't promise anything, but I can try.

So, post up if you need a ride. If you're driving, please browse through and try to help others get to this event.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I might be able to make it. If so, it'll be my popping of my OC cherry. I might bring my girl too.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Oh, and someone please cross-post on CGN... must... sleep... now...

Done.

It may be necessary to cover some of the ground rules with new people coming on board. I wonder if it would be a good idea to take up a collection for a LDF as well. If it doesnt benefit Theseus, it may well benefit one of the others.

AyatollahGondola

imported post

For my money, or lack of it for that matter, I vote to skip the dinner an all the accompanying issues of whether we will be denied entry to someone else's property. That meeting in San diego worked out well in a public street type meetup, and it gets more attention without all the worry about entering another man's domain

pullnshoot25

imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
For my money, or lack of it for that matter, I vote to skip the dinner an all the accompanying issues of whether we will be denied entry to someone else's property. That meeting in San diego worked out well in a public street type meetup, and it gets more attention without all the worry about entering another man's domain
Yep. Just show up and don't worry about it. If they don't want your business they will ask you to leave. So far we have had good results :)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
I'm on a pretty tight budget myself, so I understand your concern there. I briefly considered what other options we might have, but I'm afraid I just don't know of much we can do in Sac that doesn't cost money. (I'd say march on the Capitol Mall, but I just want this event to be more about socialization.)

Army

imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:

Problem with Sac, the really cool place tobe is in Old Sac. But being a park and state/national treasure, the law is very iffy in relation to open carry (or any carry for that matter). Which leaves us......nocool place to be in the public domain.

A dinner gathering still promotes, as the other patrons see us and ask why "all the cops are here". With any luck and planning foresight (hint hint), CA-Lib can find a place with an outdoor patio adjacent to the sidewalk or street.

I mean c'mon. If I can make it up there from SLO on Army pay.......

oilfieldtrash11

imported post

Army wrote:
A dinner gathering still promotes, as the other patrons see us and ask why "all the cops are here". With any luck and planning foresight (hint hint), CA-Lib can find a place with an outdoor patio adjacent to the sidewalk or street.

Well one that just popped into my head for the outdoor patio was cheesecake factory, its a little pricey but the perfect location. I will be coming S on I 5 so if theres anyone in natomas, yuba, citrus heights, even davis, etc. let me know if you would like to carpool. i can comfortably fit one more in my jeep....:D

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
AyatollahGondola wrote:
I'm on a pretty tight budget myself, so I understand your concern there. I briefly considered what other options we might have, but I'm afraid I just don't know of much we can do in Sac that doesn't cost money. (I'd say march on the Capitol Mall, but I just want this event to be more about socialization.)
Okay- so it sounds like there is a call for an event at a public venue. No one said we had to do a dinner at restaurant. It worked out well last year, but perhaps we would be better served by switching it up.

I think another viable option would be to have a 'pot luck' or BBQ in a large park. It would be an inexpensive alternative and perhaps we could incorporate public service in some way. This would require an earlier daytime meeting time.

oilfieldtrash11

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I think another viable option would be to have a 'pot luck' or BBQ in a large park. It would be an inexpensive alternative and perhaps we could incorporate public service in some way. This would require an earlier daytime meeting time.

I love me a good BBQ!:celebrate

prcE6

imported post

There's actually a lot of good places in the Natomas area, and it't right off 3 major freeways for anyone coming in from out of town.

Also, there's Second Saturday in Midtown. This, however, might be something that we work up to over the course of a year or so by having other UOC events in the Sacramento area.Definitely need to break in the citizens and police beforehand, as it's an eventfull of liberals and police presence on just about every other street corner.

It sure would be nice to have the locals so used to OC that we woulodn't be harassed at this type of event.

But I degress....

Cal Lib - Shoot me a PM if you need someone to go scout out some venues.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I like it! We could do a litter pickup or something like that, and then have a BBQ in the park. I would like to figure out if this is feasible. We would have to do it earlier in the day, and then hope the weather is good... but I think it's much more exposure.

My biggest concern is making sure there are no local ordinances prohibiting carry in parks. (I know the small town of Turlock does.) Even though these ordinances could be easily challenged, I don't want there to be any reason for interaction with LE.

Could someone do some research for me and give me a summary of all the city/county ordinances related to firearms?

Also, I need to know if there are any public parks not within 1,000' of a K-12.

Thanks in advance to anybody willing to help with the research.

AyatollahGondola

imported post

I'll check into it. there are plenty of schools around here for sure. Sac has Sacramento county, Sacramento city, city of Rancho Cordova , City of Citrus Heights, City of Elk Grove all of which have their own codes. I thought of Old Sac also a while back, since there are already a few holstered gun wear'ers there from time to time dressed in period clothes. There's lot's of tourists too. I don't believe it is a park of any kind though as mentioned here earlier

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Considering Thesues' case, I think we better find a venue not in a 'gun free school zone.' (For those that don't read every post, the DA appears to be ignoring the private property exemption to 626.9.) So, even though it would be perfectly legal, I want to avoid any potential confrontations with LE.

So, those of you scouting venues, please keep that in mind. Thank you.