Thread: Need clarification on open carry/concealed in two places....

Post imported post

Just to verify. It is ok to carry in both ABC stores and banks (unless otherwise posted)? Thanks in advance.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

DarkHorse wrote:
    Just to verify. It is ok to carry in both ABC stores and banks (unless otherwise posted)? Thanks in advance.
    Yes, its ok. Nothing in the Code prohibits either unless it is specifically posted. Then it goes back to the Trespassing argument.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Lets wait for someone to chime in with the FDIC myth

Maybe now that .gov owns 40% of citi it is federal property :shock:

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    DarkHorse wrote:
    Yes, its ok. Nothing in the Code prohibits either unless it is specifically posted. Then it goes back to the Trespassing argument.
    Ok, thanks. Had a brain fart this mornig when discussing it with someone here at work. Must be due to a lack of sleep due to my 5 month old son.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Are ABC stores (the ones that sell liquor)commonwealth owned and operated?

If ABC stores are owned and operated by the commonwealth then they would be included in pre-emption of firearm restrictions correct? My understanding is that they may not make the request, but this is based on the assumption that they are commonwealth owned and controlled.

Post imported post

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

Actually, the ABC stores are owned and operated by the state. Va ABC owns/leases the store space and pays the employees. It is a state-run retail operation that makes over $600 million a year.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Post imported post

The same applies to many post office locations. They are not owned just leased by the federal government.

Post imported post

Stores are state operated. A couple years ago the state cut back ABC store hours and other state servicesto save money from the state operating bugets.

http://www.abc.state.va.us/wholereal.html
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

kenny wrote:
    The same applies to many post office locations. They are not owned just leased by the federal government.
    .......which begs the following question (for the umpteenth time):Are the parking lot and lobby areas of Post Offices considered Government property?

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

Post imported post

I've OC'ed in ABC stores in Richmond a number of times without problems.

Post imported post

jmelvin wrote:
    Are ABC stores (the ones that sell liquor)commonwealth owned and operated?

If ABC stores are owned and operated by the commonwealth then they would be included in pre-emption of firearm restrictions correct? My understanding is that they may not make the request, but this is based on the assumption that they are commonwealth owned and controlled.
    All ABC stores are owned by the state.

ABC stores and banks do not have any state law prohibitions. Now for restaurants that serve alcohol, no concealed carry is allowed.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Went into an ABC store before and they had some lady from a company all dressed up offering samples of something. What then? No more concealed? :P

Post imported post

yep state property..cant ask you to leave or post sign..unlike the damn state and local govs of nc....ive only cc'ed in the abc store never oc'ed...something about that and bankshaving a really good chance of being robbed..i do not wanna be the first one shot...prefer tobe sneaky and be a wolf in sheeps clothing...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    Went into an ABC store before and they had some lady from a company all dressed up offering samples of something. What then? No more concealed? :P
    They don't have a license for on site sales and consumption of alcohol. A free sample isn't sale and consumption.

I've carried (both OC and CC) into VA ABC stores on several occaisions and several locations. I've had very good discussions about guns and carry laws on two separate visits.

I've never been hassled at an ABC store.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

jegoodin wrote:
    They don't have a license for on site sales and consumption of alcohol. A free sample isn't sale and consumption.
    And they don't serve "regular" meals.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
    Actually, the ABC stores are owned and operated by the state. Va ABC owns/leases the store space and pays the employees. It is a state-run retail operation that makes over $600 million a year.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”
    Now here is a what if:

What if the place they rent from (say a strip mall) prohibits firearms in the stores?

Would that override the ABC's govt mandate and the applied preemption to them?

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    RedKnightt wrote:
    Now here is a what if:

What if the place they rent from (say a strip mall) prohibits firearms in the stores?

Would that override the ABC's govt mandate and the applied preemption to them?
    Oh, you're just a trouble maker, aren't you?

That's a decent question. The state is acting like a private leasee in signing a lease, but they may have specific amendments to the lease that state they cannot act in violation of state law, which in this case they can't restrict firearms in most places except the usual suspects (courthouses, jails, secure terminals, etc.). I'm not sure at all if private property rights could override those. I'll e-mail a contact I have at the ABC and ask if they have anything special in thier leases. Follow-up will, well, follow.

<followup below>

--RedKnightt--

Post imported post

Okay, I got a reply from the ABC and here is the relevant portion of the e-mail:

"I've confirmed through our Chief Administrative Officer and Director of Real Estate that we do not have clauses or amendments to leases that would nullify the rules of
    private property owners. In other words, if an ABC store has a lease with a private property/shopping center owner that prohibits open/concealed carrying of a legal firearm, as a tenant we are subject to the private property owner's rules."

That seems pretty clear.

--RedKnightt--