• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need clarification on open carry/concealed in two places....

hsmith

imported post

Lets wait for someone to chime in with the FDIC myth :lol:

Maybe now that .gov owns 40% of citi it is federal property :shock:

DarkHorse

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
DarkHorse wrote:
Just to verify. It is ok to carry in both ABC stores and banks (unless otherwise posted)? Thanks in advance.
Yes, its ok. Nothing in the Code prohibits either unless it is specifically posted. Then it goes back to the Trespassing argument.
Ok, thanks. Had a brain fart this mornig when discussing it with someone here at work. Must be due to a lack of sleep due to my 5 month old son.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Are ABC stores (the ones that sell liquor)commonwealth owned and operated?

If ABC stores are owned and operated by the commonwealth then they would be included in pre-emption of firearm restrictions correct? My understanding is that they may not make the request, but this is based on the assumption that they are commonwealth owned and controlled.

RedKnightt

imported post

Actually, the ABC stores are owned and operated by the state. Va ABC owns/leases the store space and pays the employees. It is a state-run retail operation that makes over $600 million a year.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

kenny wrote:
The same applies to many post office locations. They are not owned just leased by the federal government.

.......which begs the following question (for the umpteenth time):Are the parking lot and lobby areas of Post Offices considered Government property?

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

Thundar

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Are ABC stores (the ones that sell liquor)commonwealth owned and operated?

If ABC stores are owned and operated by the commonwealth then they would be included in pre-emption of firearm restrictions correct? My understanding is that they may not make the request, but this is based on the assumption that they are commonwealth owned and controlled.

All ABC stores are owned by the state.

ABC stores and banks do not have any state law prohibitions. Now for restaurants that serve alcohol, no concealed carry is allowed.

curtiswr

imported post

Went into an ABC store before and they had some lady from a company all dressed up offering samples of something. What then? No more concealed? :p

ballester

imported post

yep state property..cant ask you to leave or post sign..unlike the damn state and local govs of nc....:cuss:ive only cc'ed in the abc store never oc'ed...something about that and bankshaving a really good chance of being robbed..i do not wanna be the first one shot...prefer tobe sneaky and be a wolf in sheeps clothing...:lol:

jegoodin

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Went into an ABC store before and they had some lady from a company all dressed up offering samples of something. What then? No more concealed? :p

They don't have a license for on site sales and consumption of alcohol. A free sample isn't sale and consumption.

I've carried (both OC and CC) into VA ABC stores on several occaisions and several locations. I've had very good discussions about guns and carry laws on two separate visits.

I've never been hassled at an ABC store.

hsmith

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
Actually, the ABC stores are owned and operated by the state. Va ABC owns/leases the store space and pays the employees. It is a state-run retail operation that makes over $600 million a year.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”
Now here is a what if:

What if the place they rent from (say a strip mall) prohibits firearms in the stores?

Would that override the ABC's govt mandate and the applied preemption to them?

RedKnightt

imported post

hsmith wrote:
RedKnightt wrote:
Now here is a what if:

What if the place they rent from (say a strip mall) prohibits firearms in the stores?

Would that override the ABC's govt mandate and the applied preemption to them?
Oh, you're just a trouble maker, aren't you? :D

That's a decent question. The state is acting like a private leasee in signing a lease, but they may have specific amendments to the lease that state they cannot act in violation of state law, which in this case they can't restrict firearms in most places except the usual suspects (courthouses, jails, secure terminals, etc.). I'm not sure at all if private property rights could override those. I'll e-mail a contact I have at the ABC and ask if they have anything special in thier leases. Follow-up will, well, follow.

<followup below>

--RedKnightt--

RedKnightt

imported post

Okay, I got a reply from the ABC and here is the relevant portion of the e-mail:

"I've confirmed through our Chief Administrative Officer and Director of Real Estate that we do not have clauses or amendments to leases that would nullify the rules of
private property owners. In other words, if an ABC store has a lease with a private property/shopping center owner that prohibits open/concealed carrying of a legal firearm, as a tenant we are subject to the private property owner's rules."

That seems pretty clear.

--RedKnightt--