• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Registration requirement.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Yesterday, I had a customerwho was very concerned about the possible requirement under HR 45, IF IT PASSES, to prove when a firearm was purchased.

He was aware that Wa. has no requirement, and was not wanting to voluntarilyregister with the state.

I provided a simple solution that may be of benefit to some of you with the same question.

Write a letter to yourself documenting the date, place, make, model, calibre, SN, name from whom acquired.

Seal the letter with clear tape, and mail it to yourself, certified mail. When you receive the letter, DO NOT open it, but put it in your safe deposit box, gun safe, or what ever you use for important papers. You now have a document that is certified by the U.S. Mail, and recognized by the courts (Judicial Notice).

Lowski

imported post

Maybe someone with an FFL can chime in about my following idea.

Let's say you want to make a record of your firearm to document make, model, serial and the state of build, think AR-15 lowervs. complete AR-15. If one could find a willing FFL holder, wouldn't it be possible to transfer the firearm to the FFL. He or she would log your info into the book with details about the firearm. After loggingit in, he or she then transfersit right back to you. Now there is an official record of the firearm along with ownership info. I figure this would be a way for someone to register their firearm and to prove that they indeed built up an AR lowerbefore a ban deadline assuming a new ban comes into place similar tothe last one.

I figure an FFL who does transfers for Internet purchases and such could do this and make easy money at it. Ifigure some sort of receipt or a photocopy of the log would be provided to the firearm owner so they could show the govt if needed.

compmanio365

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
My divorce decree specifies the ownership of all my firearms. Too bad it is to the other party. Where is the emoticon for crying?

She gets all your guns? How the heck did that work out? I think I'd take a boat trip on a choppy day, if you get my drift.

More proof that if you are a male in this state, bend over in any judicial situation. :banghead:

Phssthpok

just_a_car

imported post

You're likely better off just making a list of firearms with serial numbers and paying a Notary Public official to notarize it. That way, you have an official, legal, independent party that can testify to the validity of your document in court (and one that will stand up in court). Most Notary Publics don't really charge that much for notarizing a document, either.

bcp

imported post

"No" meaning not good to establish date of ownership.

The first link tells how to fake it using this system, and why it wouldn't be good evidence even if real.

Bruce

Nitrox314

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Yesterday, I had a customerwho was very concerned about the possible requirement under HR 45, IF IT PASSES, to prove when a firearm was purchased.

He was aware that Wa. has no requirement, and was not wanting to voluntarilyregister with the state.

I provided a simple solution that may be of benefit to some of you with the same question.

Write a letter to yourself documenting the date, place, make, model, calibre, SN, name from whom acquired.

Seal the letter with clear tape, and mail it to yourself, certified mail. When you receive the letter, DO NOT open it, but put it in your safe deposit box, gun safe, or what ever you use for important papers. You now have a document that is certified by the U.S. Mail, and recognized by the courts (Judicial Notice).
If H.R. 45 Passes, I hope that we would band together to MAKE them change their minds on the matter. We cannot just sit back and let them trample our rights. If it passes, I will not care what they say. There will be rounds goingdown-range the day they tell me I need a license to own a gun. Do you need a license to have the right to free speech? To practice your religion? How about due process and fair and speedy trials? Better yet, how about protection from cruel and unusual punishment?They are rights that cannot be controlledby the government. They are rights designed by our forefathers to protect us from government control.They think that the second amendment is a priviledge. I got news for them, try to take my guns, try to take my ammo, try to take my freedom and I promise you, I will take your life.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Morris,

Yes I did and I also advised getting the letter notarized before mailing.

DEROS72

imported post

That is just the kind of bending to each little rule that will loose our right all together.We have to ban together en masse and say no..2A is non negotiable.