• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

varied velocities

gamestalker

imported post

Hey guys,

I have a rem. model 700 CDL in 7 mm Rem. Mag and my son has an identical one. I reload for both with the same load and the 2 have very different velocities but both are putting the rounds in the same hole at 200 yds.. One is getting 1340s fps and the other is producing 1430s fps? Any idea why there is such a variance between the two?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm no expert, but have you checked the barrels for wear? Is there a chance that one of the rifles has had more rounds shot through it than the other? If so, this may have something to do with the difference. One rifle may have a "tighter" barrel.

gamestalker

imported post

Thatbe a good probable cause if not for the fact both of them were purchased brand new at the same time and the issues began from day number one.

gamestalker

imported post

My chrony. And because of the variance I put numerous rounds through from each weapon because I know the chrony can give fluke results. But the consistency variance was real. I also have another 7 mag. that was producing numbers nearly identical to those my Sons 7 mag. were showing with the same reloads. So the issue is definitely with the CDL 7 mag I bought. I didn't have any issue other than the velocity as accuracy was nail driving from all 3 of them.The manufacturerwon't acknowledge the issue at all stating I should expect velocity differences of+/- in that neighborhood. I'm betting its related to head space or possibly a chamber dimension issue allowing some pressure to escapefrom the chamber.

Barnett3006

imported post

Your getting less then 2800fps from your 7mm Rem Mags?!

Are you shooting reduced loads with lead bullets?

If you are not shooting reduced lead bullet loads then it is more then likely that the slower shooting barrel was rifled at the end of the day when the cutting tools where getting dull, resulting in a rough bore...where as the faster barrel was made with a nice and sharp rifling button which results in a smooth bore.

If you can find your self a bore scope and inspect and compare the barrels then you would know for sure. Then you could lap the slow barrel and get the two guns shooting close to the same velocities (there will always be some velocity variations between to seemingly identical guns), lapping might even make the slow barrel shoot faster then the other one!

Jizzzle

imported post

i have seen this bunches of times as have the guys that i shoot with a lot. no matter if you bought the rifles and they are in sequence serial number wise and you hand loaded the ammo identically you will always have a difference in velocity. between one rifle and another one will fire hotter than the other. It's the same with every gun every caliber. Some brands run tighter tolerances but there will still be differences.

My buddy has2 savage .308s and he bought them same year one for him one for his wife. hers runs on average 70-100 fps faster than his with identical loads. he handloads all his own stuff. It's not that his has been shot more or hers has been shot less or whatever. its jsut diff guns run different. You will notice it much more in rifles than pistols though because of barrel length.

grumpycoconut

imported post

Your son's gun is the faster one? You ever consider the story of the old bull and the young bull standing on the hill overlooking the herd of cows? Maybe your bullet is saving its energy tomake sweet love toall the cows.:lol:

gamestalker

imported post

No,I would never put that junk through any weapon I own. In fact, I only shoot the best in every consideration, ie; powder, bullets, and matched brass to the weapon it was fired through. These rifles have been shooting the nosler 120 grain ballistic tip boat tail. Both have had custom work done since those initial chrony numbers and are still producing the variance. Button lapped barrels, actions,and so on.I'm not concerned being they are nail drivers and show no signs of pressure problems at all. It wouldn't keep from buying another 700 or other Remington rifle. A difference of 80 to 100 ish fps isn't really going to make any difference with velocities in the 3400 to 3500 fps range anyway, and especially so when one is using Leupold optics with BDC that are compensating to the the exact fps for that exact rifle and round. I just thought it to be rather strange to have 2 of them as were the circumstances without any thing significantly different about them doing this.

gamestalker

imported post

Hey buddy, I noticed you are at Holloman AFB. I grew up in Alamogordo, New Mexico and just love that part of the State. A good number of my best friends were as well stationed there. I used to work at a place called The Game Trail, owned by Jack Sprayberry. its changed hands a bunch of times since then( 1993 ). There was a guy that worked there and taught me a bunch about rifle actions regarding fine tuning them, his name is Brick. He may be working for the new owner of that same store on 10th St. if you should ever have the need forcustom rifle work he is without doubt one of the best. In fact if you should see him in that new store tell him Michael Barncastle says hi and thanks for the lessons. An excellent turkey hunter too though this is an area of which I'm very proficient as well.

Sorry for leaving the topic for those of you who may be annoyed by such.

Jizzzle

imported post

sweet. i think the gun store is called Dave's guns now maybe? I go in there everyonce in a while an bs with them. It's a good time.

gamestalker

imported post

Your right, now I remember the new name. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and just couldn't remember the name. Next time your in there ask them if Brick is still around please. If so see if you can get his e-mail address for me. I would like to ask him if he would build an action for me on a M-98 action I acquired. I'm wanting to chamber it in the 270 ultra mag, maybe a Douglas barrel or something good, 3 stage jewel trigger. I really enjoy punching paper. I've got a Rem. model 710 at the moment that is putting 5 in the same hole at 200 yds. but its only a matter of time before I shoot the factory barrel out. its set up pretty nice though. They made those with a 3 lug action that locks up into the barrel rather than the receiver and they also come with a 3 stage jewel. Probably what I should do is replace the barrel when it goes with something heavy. Nobody likes those models because they think it has a weak action unaware of the fact that the receiver has nothing to do with the lock up as most actions lock into the receiver. They're also pillar bedded. Those 710s are easy to come buy at $300 or less in most gun shops and out shoot any 700 action hands down, even though I have several 700 actions and can't really say anything bad about them.