• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forest for the trees

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
I hate to say it Shotgun but does he really need a citation? The DNR wardens make up the rules as they go along and there are no legal repercussions for them. I've had local cops get the federal amnesty in travel law confused with Wisconsin's "unloaded and encased" law, and have no reason to doubt that a DNR "only one" would be just as vapid and ignorant of the actual state of the law.
Yes, I'd like a citation, although I don't believe such exists. Nobody would dispute that there could be inconsistency among DNR wardens or that there are no wardens who simply have a poor understanding of the law. But no individual warden speaks for "the all powerful DNR." The posting implied that the DNR, as an agency, has inconsistent regulations regarding when a firearm is loaded and not loaded. If that's true, then spell it out. If all he meant to say is that some wardens understand the law and some do not, then there is no dispute. It's probably true.

Eric

imported post

Lammie wrote:
Eric:

Go back and read the many posts on this forum that address vehicle carry. You will find that no one agrees with you more than shotgun, smithman, Doug Huffman, WG19, Pointman, Myself and others. Again I repeat that my intent on this post was not to incite debate on individual restrictions but to evaluate carry restrictions in total.
Lammie, I am glad you agree with me about the foolishness of the laws surrounding firearms and vehicles in the state of WI. However, I stand by my comments. There is no way I can go along with a statement such as "...but the fact is Wisconsin citizens have more capability to defend themselves with firearms than possibly any other state in the union."

That, in my opinion, is simply not true. You give several reasons why that isn't true in your original post:

...open carry in a vehicle and finally prohibition of unloaded and uncased firearms on public property within 1000 feet of a 1-12 school property.

The only thing keeping it from being practiced more frequently is statewide recognition by law enforcement that open carry rights exist and the continued harassment by law enforcement of those individuals that dare exercise those rights.
I've already commented on the vehicle restriction.

If I'm going about my daily business, I don't have the time in the day to plot out a route that ensures that I am not on public property within 1000ft. of a school. A 1000ft radius around a school is a large area. In some towns, it is awfully hard to find property where I am not within 1000ft of a school. Please educate me, because I honestly don't know, do many states have laws like ours?

Then the fact that many in law enforcement continually harass Wisconsinites for openly carrying totally negates your argument. Yes, the laws may be lenient, but the enforcement/interpretation of them greatly inhibits my ability to protect myself with a firearm while in the state of Wisconsin.

Support The 2nd

imported post

Here's an idea for those of you who want to DO something:

Contact your county board supervisors and re-submit the resolution.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=17914&forum_id=57

Press them to act on it. If they refuse, catch them after a meeting, with video camera running, and ask them why you/me/we have no rights. Then post their answers on You-Tube.

The cost is almost non-existent and because you were asking a question about rights, and did so without a firearm, if they try to quash you that would be a violation of your first (1st) amendment rights.

Will you start by taking this first unarmed stand?