• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Change the Info on OC.com

dwayner79

imported post

I noticed this statement on CT's open carry law:

College Carry Carry Not Statutorily Prohibited

NOTE: Even if Legal, Students May be Subject to Academic Sanctions

This should note that State property is off limits for carry. This means that UCONN/WCSU/etc. are off limits on those grounds.

How can this get forwarded to the content folks at opencarry?

dwayner79

imported post

buketdude wrote:
where in Connecticut law does it state that state property is off limits????...cause i don't think it does..

Wow, chalk that one up to naivety. I had read this a while back: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1909717/posts

"The University of Connecticut is our greatest opposition by far," said Kopencey. "She [the Dean] voiced her opposition in no uncertain terms to my ideas." When asked about the protest, Williams responded via e-mail that university administrators have no control over the issue. "The University is state property and as such, prohibits weapons being carried, concealed or not," said Williams. "This is a state statute, not a position."

and assumed it was right.

I just spent 30 minutes looking through, and can't find that anywhere.

Fritter60

imported post

Carrying on a college campus is not illegal, however as I am a CCSU student if I were to be caugh carrying on campus I could be expelled because I agree not to by enrolling in the university.

uskrusader

imported post

Fritter60 wrote:
Carrying on a college campus is not illegal, however as I am a CCSU student if I were to be caugh carrying on campus I could be expelled because I agree not to by enrolling in the university.
So you can carry on campus so long as you're not a student?

JUMPMASTER

imported post

Legally yes if you are not aware that you can't. Now this is just my opinion but, let's say you walk on campus and you see no signs or postings that says you can't carry than your carrying would be legal. Like Fritter60 said. As a student of a college you may have had to sign a "terms of agreement" or something like that when you signed up for classes may prohibit you from carrying. Or maybe they may say that as a condition of your employment you can't carry, but I really don't think that is in keeping with the laws and the CT Constitution. If I had the money I would challenge that. Now there is an executive order that Gov Rowland signed in the 90's that forbids any State Employee, contractor, vendor to bring a weapon to a state worksite. I'm really not sure how an Executive Order can override State Law and the Constitution. Maybe somebody else can explain that.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

uskrusader wrote:
Fritter60 wrote:
So you can carry on campus so long as you're not a student?
You might even chance being expelled if you talk about guns at CCSU.

Edward Peruta

imported post

State law clearly prohibits carrying on school property k-12.

State law cearlly prohibits carrying in certain state buildings and other places where the state legislature may be meeting.

If posted with signs, beware of the problems you may face.

rpyne

imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
I'm really not sure how an Executive Order can override State Law and the Constitution. Maybe somebody else can explain that.
The how is by having an AG with no guts.

In Utah, our AG filed suit against the Governor a few years ago over a similar order. The Governor rescinded the order to avoid going to court.

A little later the AG filed suit against the University of Utah over their refusal to allow carry on campus and took the case clear to the State Supreme Court, and won.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

rpyne wrote:

A little later the AG filed suit against the University of Utah over their refusal to allow carry on campus and took the case clear to the State Supreme Court, and won.

A little backwards there Mr. Pyne. Our AG was the defendant. :p

The University of Utah sued Attorney GeneralShurtleffwhen he issued Opinion No. 01-002, in which he opined that a Utah Department of Human Resource Management rule forbidding state employees to carry guns in state facilities violated Utah’s Uniform Firearms Act.

In footnote thirteen to that opinion, theAttorney General expressed his agreement with the Office of Legislative Research and General Counsel’s Formal Opinion 98-01, which had concluded that the University’s firearms policy was contrary to the Uniform Firearms Act.

After issuing Opinion No. 01-002, the Attorney General reiterated on numerous occasions his view regarding the illegality of the University’s firearms policy.

In response, the University sued the Attorney General in the United States District Court for the District of Utah (“federal court”), seeking a declaration that Utah law does not prevent it from enforcing its firearms policy and that any interference with the policy would violate its right to academic freedom as guaranteed by the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution.

To read the rest, clicke here ---> http://www.nacua.org/documents/UUtah_v_Shurtleff.pdf