Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 revolvers can shoot .38

Post imported post

Just found out that revolvers chambered for .357 mag can shoot .38 splbullets.

This only works for revolvers and it doesnt work the other way around. im going to put that into consideration when buying my next firearm. im thinking a taurus 65. i really like these guns but am torn as to what finish i should get. nickel or black?

Post imported post

Yup. One of the great things about a .357 is the ability to shoot .38spl out of it. Like you said, shooting .357 out of a .38 will be painful at best. My next pistol will be a .357 of some kind.

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    Yup. One of the great things about a .357 is the ability to shoot .38spl out of it. Like you said, shooting .357 out of a .38 will be painful at best. My next pistol will be a .357 of some kind.
    As far as i know, .357 cartrige is longer than .38 and therefore will not fit in any revolvers chambered for .38. Basically, it will stick out of the cylinder. Correct me if i'm wrong - i own a .38 but no .357s si far

Post imported post

....Just make sure you keep the chambers nice and clean! If you blow too many .38 loads downrange, you'll end up with a nice "crud ring" in there that makes loading .357 mags dang near impossible due to the shorter length of the .38 casing.

What barrel length is the Taurus?

Post imported post

the one i want i believe is 4 inches. id get that one even for conceilled carry because it has that startle factor if you ever have to draw it.

black finnish

http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver

stainless steal finish

Post imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
    the one i want i believe is 4 inches. id get that one even for conceilled carry because it has that startle factor if you ever have to draw it.

black finnish

stainless steal finish

who is this black Finnish guy and who is this Stainless who stole finish?

Post imported post

Good call on going with the 4 inch revolver. It is great that you can feed the less expensive 38 specials through the 357mag. Makes practice that much easier..
    I would have to vote for the stainless one myself....
    -A

Post imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
    poothrowingape wrote:

black finnish

stainless steal finish

Smart @$$! I love it

Post imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
    poothrowingape wrote:

black finnish

stainless steal finish

Love it.

Post imported post

OBXMIKE wrote:
    ....Just make sure you keep the chambers nice and clean! If you blow too many .38 loads downrange, you'll end up with a nice "crud ring" in there that makes loading .357 mags dang near impossible due to the shorter length of the .38 casing.

What barrel length is the Taurus?
    Firing just one .38 will make the chamber too crudded (is that a word?) up to extract a .357 .

Yes, the .357 round is a touch longer to keep putzes from firing it in a .38 gun. However, a .38 can be loaded to very close to .357 power. Also if you're new to magnums, be sure to wear ear protection.

And I vote stainless. Less upkeep. This is my Rossi M711 4 inch. Only gun I've ever had to draw, and I've never had to fire it in anger.

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

not just revolvers, my .357 winchester lever action rifle shoots .38 spl and +p, no problems. Lots cheaper when shooting those wiley targets.
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

bugly wrote:
    not just revolvers, my .357 winchester lever action rifle shoots .38 spl and +p, no problems. Lots cheaper when shooting those wiley targets.
    +1 Love my little 34" long(16" barrel) Winchester 94AE .357mag. lever rifle. And, a .357 out of a rifle has more force than out of a revolver(unless the revolver has a 16" barrel). Even a .38 spl. out of this rifle is more powerful.

Random thoughts:
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that a 2" barrel .357 mag. revolver is not able to fully utilize the explosive gases from the magnum charges. Perhaps someone can verify. If that's true, if you need a snubby, might as well get the .38spl. If you want a .357 mag., you probably should get one with a 3" or longer barrel. Someone with a better understanding of the ballistics involved might be able to shed more(& better) light on this.

Post imported post

"The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
    Way back in the Dark Ages of my youth, I had a Ruger Security Six in stainlesswith a 2 3/4" barrel in .357 magnum.

That was one of the finest little concealed carry guns I've ever had. I'm just sorry I got rid of it before I went to Germany the last time.

If I could ever find another one like it, in good condition, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    It's not stainless but you might want to check them out:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/919108011...TY_SIX_2_7.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/903549255...ty_Six_357.htm

Post imported post

Daddyo wrote:
    And I vote stainless. Less upkeep....
    why are stainless finishesless upkeep?

Post imported post

Stainless = less likely to rust...not rust-proof. I prefer stainless for my carry guns 'cause they do get a little sweaty/damp at times. Blued guns do have a propensity to go all rusty on you if you aren't keeping them oiled up just right.

BTW, that's a good barrel length if you are going to shoot magnums in it. I carry a little 12 oz. S&W scandium/titanium revolver. I bought a box of #20 .38 +p defense loads and a box of .357 mag defense loads when I first got the gun....I still have #19 of the .357 loads in the box!!

.38+p's are a PUH-LENTY in this thing!

Post imported post

wow i had no idea. i always thought stainless had a higher probability to rust beause it didnt have the black or blued paint/finish on it. well i suppose they call it stainless for a reason.

Edit: what about nickel platted?

Post imported post

Post imported post

Well thanks everyone for the advice. I think even though I prefered black finish, I will go with stainless for that extra dependability.

Post imported post

4armed Architect wrote:
    bugly wrote:
    +1* * ** Love my little 34" long(16" barrel) Winchester 94AE .357mag. lever rifle.* And, a .357 out of a rifle has more force than out of a revolver(unless the revolver has a 16" barrel).*** Even a .38 spl. out of this rifle is more powerful.**

Random thoughts:
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that a 2" barrel .357 mag. revolver is not able to fully utilize the explosive gases from the magnum charges.** Perhaps someone can verify.** If that's true, if you need a snubby, might as well get the .38spl.** If you want a .357 mag., you probably should get one with a 3" or longer barrel.** Someone with a better understanding of the ballistics involved might be able to shed more(& better) light on this.
    While it may not be using all the available power (and due to the mentioned flamethrower-like activity it probably isn't), getting most of the oomph out of a .357 slug is quite possibly still more power than a .38sp.

To the OP: if you're looking for reccomendations, I would tell you to look into a Ruger GP100.

Post imported post

Speer makes Gold Dot ammo specifically designed for short barrel guns. It is top rated and is what I carry in my 2in revolver.

Post imported post

Still trying to find a place in my area that can do a decent job on "black chrome", that would serve two purposes, black, for the sheer beauty and concealment, and chrome for the rust resistance. I've seen several tool manufacturers using this finish on "limited edition" tools, and it looks sweeeeeeeeeet!
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
    wow i had no idea. i always thought stainless had a higher probability to rust beause it didnt have the black or blued paint/finish on it. well i suppose they call it stainless for a reason.

Edit: what about nickel platted?
    Any steel is a composition of iron, carbon and other metals (nickel, chrome, cobalt, molibden, etc.). The only thing that really rusts is iron. Rusting is an oxidation process of iron, i.e. a chemical reaction which makes iron combine with oxygen creating ferrum oxide (Fe2O3) which corrupts steel structure.

Carbon steel mostly contains carbon and iron and therefore is very prone to rust, but it's quite a bit cheaper.

Stainless steel (there are numerous types of stainless steels which vary in composition) containslarge amounts of nickel, crome and other metals which don't react with oxygen under normal condition and don't rust. The amount of iron is much lower than in carbon steel and therefore it rusts much slower. Since there is still some iron always present in stainless steel, it will eventually rust if not maintained properly, especially under aggreavating conditions such as moisture or high temperature or acid atmosphere.

Standard manufacturing process for all carbon steel parts is to paint (or finish) them to prevent rusting. Stainless steel is normally left bare. I personally think that quality finish on carbon steel is just as good as stainless steel under normal conditions, but i may be wrong. In high temperature corrosive environments, finish won't save you so you have to go to stainless and eventually to high alloys.

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    4armed Architect wrote:
    bugly wrote:
    +1 Love my little 34" long(16" barrel) Winchester 94AE .357mag. lever rifle. And, a .357 out of a rifle has more force than out of a revolver(unless the revolver has a 16" barrel). Even a .38 spl. out of this rifle is more powerful.

Random thoughts:
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that a 2" barrel .357 mag. revolver is not able to fully utilize the explosive gases from the magnum charges. Perhaps someone can verify. If that's true, if you need a snubby, might as well get the .38spl. If you want a .357 mag., you probably should get one with a 3" or longer barrel. Someone with a better understanding of the ballistics involved might be able to shed more(& better) light on this.
    While it may not be using all the available power (and due to the mentioned flamethrower-like activity it probably isn't), getting most of the oomph out of a .357 slug is quite possibly still more power than a .38sp.

To the OP: if you're looking for reccomendations, I would tell you to look into a Ruger GP100.
    I wish GP100 with 4" barrel had fixed sights. I hate the ajustible ones on carry gun, but the 3" version looks freaking ugly... Which GP100 would you recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast