• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.357 revolvers can shoot .38

poothrowingape

imported post

Just found out that revolvers chambered for .357 mag can shoot .38 splbullets.

This only works for revolvers and it doesnt work the other way around. im going to put that into consideration when buying my next firearm. im thinking a taurus 65. i really like these guns but am torn as to what finish i should get. nickel or black?

compmanio365

imported post

Yup. One of the great things about a .357 is the ability to shoot .38spl out of it. Like you said, shooting .357 out of a .38 will be painful at best. My next pistol will be a .357 of some kind.

Chaingun81

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Yup. One of the great things about a .357 is the ability to shoot .38spl out of it. Like you said, shooting .357 out of a .38 will be painful at best. My next pistol will be a .357 of some kind.
As far as i know, .357 cartrige is longer than .38 and therefore will not fit in any revolvers chambered for .38. Basically, it will stick out of the cylinder. Correct me if i'm wrong - i own a .38 but no .357s si far

OBXMIKE

imported post

....Just make sure you keep the chambers nice and clean! If you blow too many .38 loads downrange, you'll end up with a nice "crud ring" in there that makes loading .357 mags dang near impossible due to the shorter length of the .38 casing.

What barrel length is the Taurus?

Chaingun81

Autonomous

imported post

Good call on going with the 4 inch revolver. It is great that you can feed the less expensive 38 specials through the 357mag. Makes practice that much easier..
I would have to vote for the stainless one myself....
-A

Spectre

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
poothrowingape wrote:
the one i want i believe is 4 inches. id get that one even for conceilled carry because it has that startle factor if you ever have to draw it.

black finnish

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=272&category=Revolver

stainless steal finish

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=273&category=Revolver
who is this black Finnish guy and who is this Stainless who stole finish? :D

Smart @$$! I love it :D

smash29

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
poothrowingape wrote:
the one i want i believe is 4 inches. id get that one even for conceilled carry because it has that startle factor if you ever have to draw it.

black finnish

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=272&category=Revolver

stainless steal finish

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=273&category=Revolver
who is this black Finnish guy and who is this Stainless who stole finish? :D
Love it.

Daddyo

imported post

OBXMIKE wrote:
....Just make sure you keep the chambers nice and clean! If you blow too many .38 loads downrange, you'll end up with a nice "crud ring" in there that makes loading .357 mags dang near impossible due to the shorter length of the .38 casing.

What barrel length is the Taurus?

Firing just one .38 will make the chamber too crudded (is that a word?) up to extract a .357 .

Yes, the .357 round is a touch longer to keep putzes from firing it in a .38 gun. However, a .38 can be loaded to very close to .357 power. Also if you're new to magnums, be sure to wear ear protection.

And I vote stainless. Less upkeep. This is my Rossi M711 4 inch. Only gun I've ever had to draw, and I've never had to fire it in anger.
P8030034.jpg

bugly

imported post

not just revolvers, my .357 winchester lever action rifle shoots .38 spl and +p, no problems. Lots cheaper when shooting those wiley targets.

4armed Architect

imported post

bugly wrote:
not just revolvers, my .357 winchester lever action rifle shoots .38 spl and +p, no problems. Lots cheaper when shooting those wiley targets.
+1 Love my little 34" long(16" barrel) Winchester 94AE .357mag. lever rifle. And, a .357 out of a rifle has more force than out of a revolver(unless the revolver has a 16" barrel). Even a .38 spl. out of this rifle is more powerful.

Random thoughts:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that a 2" barrel .357 mag. revolver is not able to fully utilize the explosive gases from the magnum charges. Perhaps someone can verify. If that's true, if you need a snubby, might as well get the .38spl. If you want a .357 mag., you probably should get one with a 3" or longer barrel. Someone with a better understanding of the ballistics involved might be able to shed more(& better) light on this.

curtiswr

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
Way back in the Dark Ages of my youth, I had a Ruger Security Six in stainlesswith a 2 3/4" barrel in .357 magnum.

That was one of the finest little concealed carry guns I've ever had. I'm just sorry I got rid of it before I went to Germany the last time.

If I could ever find another one like it, in good condition, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

It's not stainless but you might want to check them out:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/91910801.../Security-Six-Type/RUGER_SECURITY_SIX_2_7.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/90354925...ty-Six-Type/Ruger_Police_Security_Six_357.htm

OBXMIKE

imported post

Stainless = less likely to rust...not rust-proof. I prefer stainless for my carry guns 'cause they do get a little sweaty/damp at times. Blued guns do have a propensity to go all rusty on you if you aren't keeping them oiled up just right.

BTW, that's a good barrel length if you are going to shoot magnums in it. I carry a little 12 oz. S&W scandium/titanium revolver. I bought a box of #20 .38 +p defense loads and a box of .357 mag defense loads when I first got the gun....I still have #19 of the .357 loads in the box!!

.38+p's are a PUH-LENTY in this thing!

poothrowingape

imported post

wow i had no idea. i always thought stainless had a higher probability to rust beause it didnt have the black or blued paint/finish on it. well i suppose they call it stainless for a reason.

Edit: what about nickel platted?