• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC on military bases?

tat2ed_guy

imported post

I called the Watch Commander on my base the other day to see if there is actually any regulations that state that firearms cannot be carried on base. Hewouldnt give me any info other than"No youcannot carry for protection" but if you are involved in a hunting event then it was ok. The sign at the gate only says that the firearms have to be declared.

Just curiousbecause there are alot of MORONS between Oak Harbor and Arlington, and I seem to come across every one of them.

j2l3

imported post

Each base is going to have different rules on this subject as will the different branches of service. My last assignment, many years ago in North Dakota, we had to go directly from our quarters to off base, or from the gate directly back to our quarters. No stops anywhere on base for any reason.

j2l3

imported post

Intersting situation, base housing? but off base. Still considered base property though would be my guess and base regs will still apply.

We had similar setup in Spokane at the air base. There were three off base housing areas at the time. We never saw anyone from the base out there and just about everyone had guns. No one cared.

However, I'm sure they could have made an issue out of it, had anything happened to bring attention to the issue.

G27

imported post

I recently lived on base housing and command authorized you were allowed to have guns in your base HOUSE, but if you lived in barracks you had to check it in at the armory and it stayed there. Also, if you did have a gun in base housing, you needed to have said weapon in condition 4 at all times locked, ammo separated and locked up at all times as well. If you did leave base you had to declare it at the gate and show your papers. These papers were actually registration documents with the DoD to "track all firearms on base housing". I'm sure the government didn't destroy those records when I left. Good think I lost my guns in a terrible boating accident, too!

tat2ed_guy

imported post

Im not really concerned with housing, just wanted to know if I can actually carry for PP. The only down side is that I would have to leave the weapon in my truck all day until I got off....Not fond of that at all.

Nitrox314

imported post

Talk to the MP's up at Bldg 220. I wanted to try to do the same thing. I drove from Bellingham to Oak Harbor for a while and then I moved to Mount Vernon. I wanted to see if they could at least put in lockers or something at the Main Gate. Remember just recently that guy who went on a shooting rampage upnear Mt. Vernon?I never felt safe on that drive. Especially if I had to stop somewhere along the way. What Unit you with?

jbone

imported post

I've asked the same when some time back and was told Hell No! But could checkit in and out at the armory at Sea Plane base, but no guarantee someone would be there for check-in or worse check-out. But who wants to go all the way to Sea Plane Base in Oak Harbor, when you work on Whidbey.But here it is in writing. Sorry!

NASWHIDBEYINST 5000.1J STATION REGULATIONS

311. Firearms

1. The term "firearms" shall include, for the purpose of these regulations, guns in which explosive rounds, shells, or cartridges are used, as well as guns using compressed air or gas as propellants.

2. Privately owned firearms shall be permitted aboard the naval reservation and used under the following conditions:

a. All privately owned firearms and bows and arrows must be registered with the Security Officer.

b. Personnel residing within the naval reservation housing are permitted to keep firearms in their residences. Personnel residing in Combined Bachelor Housing (CBH) desiring to keep privately owned firearms on the NAS shall turn them in to the station small arms armory, building 34.

c. Members of city, county, state, or federal law enforcement agencies may possess firearms within the naval reservation when on duty or acting in an official capacity.

d. Indiscriminate shooting or "plinking" is prohibited on board the station.

e. While en route to/from hunting areas aboard the naval reservation, firearms are permitted to be carried in privately owned vehicles. At no other time may firearms be kept in privately owned vehicles.

f. Guns using compressed air or gas as propellants (BB guns, pellet guns, dart guns) are prohibited from use on the naval reservation.

3. The NAS Weapons Officer shall accept privately owned firearms for storage in the station small arms armory (located in building 34, Seaplane Base).

4. Private possession of fully automatic firearms (those firing more than one round with a single pull of the trigger or more than five shots per second) is prohibited except as prescribed by federal law.

5. Firearms shall be confiscated at the time of apprehension from anyone violating these regulations. In cases when violation of Washington State law is involved, those apprehended may be turned over to state officials for prosecution.

tat2ed_guy

imported post

Considering that this is a NASWI instruction is there anthing that can be done to try and get that changed? I transfer to Iraq in July but if there is anything thatcan be done to get the process started I would love to help do that.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

When I lived in Oak Harbor, I dated someone who had base access, and we'd go on base now and then for either her doctor's visits, or to the club, or whatnot. Anyhow there were several occasions where I had guns in the car. We'd just pull up to the security building near the top of the hill from the main gate, and I'd go check 'em in, along with any ammo. One time we forgot about a mauser I had cased in the backseat and drove all around the base with it, and didn't realize it until after we left...

Checked in an SKS once, and the guard insisted on treating the bayonet as a separate item (and receipt). Actually he didn't even know what the rifle was....

jbone

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
When I lived in Oak Harbor
Are you dating yourself here, were the guards in white helments and wearing white leggins and white web belts... Just Kidding :celebrate

I joined in 1985 and have 29 days & a wake up left, the duty stationsI've beenhave beenin tune with Current Whidbey policy, so I don't even think I couldsay 911 caused change to weapons policy on base. Though I have heard otherstories of other bases in the US with similar polices in the past.

Sounds like Whidbey was alittle more laxed a some point in time, must have been nice! Wish we could have that back!

tat2ed_guy

imported post

I have brought my gun on base with me numerous times. I have declared it at the gate and showed my permit to make them feel better. The only thing that was said was to please leave it in the car. That was on the Sea Plane side. I think they might want to do a little more training in security.....lol