• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested for transporting guns in DC

KBCraig

imported post

Okay, I take back my question about GPS units, because it's obvious you can't ask directions without being "deemed suspicious" in DC.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0309/Man_arrested_near_Capitol_with_guns_sword_.html

March 10, 2009

Man arrested near Capitol with guns, sword

My colleague Sarah Abruzzese reports:

The United States Capitol Police arrested a driver near the Capitol on Tuesday around 4 p.m.

A search of the vehicle found: Two long guns, three handguns and a sword, according to Sgt. Kimberly Schneider, the spokeswoman for the USCP. Charges against the driver are pending.

UPDATE:

Capitol Police Just Released This Statement:

At approximately 2:20 pm today, a driver approached a U.S. Capitol Police officer for directions at Third Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. Upon further investigation, the vehicle was deemed suspicious and the driver was detained for further questioning. He was arrested without incident and transported to USCP headquarters for processing.

Out of an abundance of caution, the U.S. Capitol Police swept the vehicle that was driven to ensure that nothing of a hazardous nature was found. All tests were clear with nothing hazardous found. A search of the vehicle incident to arrest recovered two long rifles, three handguns, one sword, and several other items of concern.

The subject is identified as 49-year-old Timothy Whitfield of Long Beach, California. Whitfield has been charged with Carrying a Pistol Without a License, Possession of Unregistered Ammunition, Possession of Unregistered Firearm.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
At approximately 2:20 pm today, a driver approached a U.S. Capitol Police officer for directions at Third Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. Upon further investigation, the vehicle was deemed suspicious and the driver was detained for further questioning. He was arrested without incident and transported to USCP headquarters for processing.

Uh huh. Investigation of what? Is asking for directions suspicious activity now?

One has to wonder where his intended destination was. If he legally owned the guns in his home state, and the destination allows his weapons, then he is protected under the interstate travel law.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well since he was from Kalifonia, I hope he can show he got them at a
AZ gunshow loophole. And pray the pistol isn't a banned two tone.

Now is the time for Obama to step forward and support this mans 2A rights.

This is the first I have heard that DC requires you to register your ammo.
Although it will be fun to watch how DC uses CA gun laws, but will not
support CA's RS laws. So was he near a school zone when he asked for directions?