• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ten including shooter killed

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=9983493

SAMSON, Ala. (AP) - Authorities say at 10 people have been shot and killed in two south Alabama towns, including the gunman.

The Alabama Department of Safety says at least four shootings by a single gunman left at least nine people dead before he killed himself.

The department says in a statement that the shootings began late Tuesday afternoon in Samson. The shooter killed five people in one home and one each in two other homes.

The gunman then shot at a state trooper's car, striking the vehicle seven times and wounding the trooper with broken glass.

Police pursued him to Reliable Metal Products just north of Geneva, where he fired an estimated 30 rounds.

The statement says the gunman then went in the business and shot himself.

Yata hey

cvickers

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=9983493

SAMSON, Ala. (AP) - Authorities say at 10 people have been shot and killed in two south Alabama towns, including the gunman.

The Alabama Department of Safety says at least four shootings by a single gunman left at least nine people dead before he killed himself.

The department says in a statement that the shootings began late Tuesday afternoon in Samson. The shooter killed five people in one home and one each in two other homes.

The gunman then shot at a state trooper's car, striking the vehicle seven times and wounding the trooper with broken glass.

Police pursued him to Reliable Metal Products just north of Geneva, where he fired an estimated 30 rounds.

The statement says the gunman then went in the business and shot himself.

Yata hey

The perp apparently burned his mother's house and killed her(can't get in house-don't know if shot or burned. Then he went and killed his grandmother, granddaddy(who had raised him), an aunt and an uncle. Then he went on to kill a woman at a convenience store, a County Deputy's wife and her child and another person . He wounded several others including another child, a State Trooper and a local Police Chief. He later went to a location where he allegedly worked(at least at one time) where he killed himself. I don't know how many weapons he might have used but the only reference I have seen so far is to a rifle.

cvickers

imported post

ImFromTheGovernmentAndImHereToHelp wrote:
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/11/alabama.shooting.spree/index.html

GENEVA, Alabama (CNN) -- The gunman responsible for the deadliest crime in Alabama's history worked briefly as a police officer in the small town of Samson, which was hardest hit by Tuesday's deadly rampage, authorities said Wednesday.

I'm here to help!
He didn't complete the training so he was not a policeman even if he worked with the department. I hope everyone doesn't judge your profession by you.

Dianosis

imported post

I don't know how many weapons he might have used but the only reference I have seen so far is to a rifle.
McLendon was armed with two assault rifles, an SKS and a Bushmaster, using high-capacity magazines taped together; a shotgun; and a .38-caliber handgun. Believed that he fired in excess of 200 rounds during the assaults.

imported post

cvickers wrote:

GENEVA, Alabama (CNN) -- The gunman responsible for the deadliest crime in Alabama's history worked briefly as a police officer in the small town of Samson, which was hardest hit by Tuesday's deadly rampage, authorities said Wednesday.

I'm here to help!
He didn't complete the training so he was not a policeman even if he worked with the department. I hope everyone doesn't judge your profession by you.
My profession doesn't have complete control over you

cvickers

imported post

cvickers wrote:

I'm here to help!
You must be a bad boy then. In my 50+ years Law Enforcement has never had complete control over me.

imported post

cvickers wrote:
cvickers wrote:

I'm here to help!
You must be a bad boy then. In my 50+ years Law Enforcement has never had complete control over me.
wrong, they have it, they just haven't used it.

wake up

wyor

imported post

cvickers wrote:

I'm here to help!
cvickers, some PDs allow persons to be hired, sworn, and actually work as street cops before they graduate from the state's academy. For example, in NM I think they have up to a year to complete the academy. In the meantime, they are on the street, arresting perps, making car stops, answering calls for service, etc.

cvickers

imported post

wyor wrote:
cvickers wrote:

I'm here to help!
cvickers, some PDs allow persons to be hired, sworn, and actually work as street cops before they graduate from the state's academy. For example, in NM I think they have up to a year to complete the academy. In the meantime, they are on the street, arresting perps, making car stops, answering calls for service, etc.
I understand that. However, if the reports are true and he was dismissed within a month, hedid not even have a goodstart ona training program. I don't see how you you could call him a policeman unless your purpose is to degrade policemen.

CaptainFinn

imported post

Did anyone see the interview on CNN's web site where the sheriff continually refers to the SKS as both an 'AK-47' and a 'fully automatic machine gun'. ? He also said the shooter fired up to '18 shots at one time' and that the guns caused a lot of damage because he was 'shooting high-capacity rounds' through the rifles...WTF ???

What in the high holy goat-effing googly-moogly is a 'high-capactity round' of ammunition ?

kurtmax_0

imported post

It's a firearm that shoots ~5x5 matrix of cartridges loaded with flash memory, hence the 'high capacity' (high capacity for a bullet anyways, most don't have memory at all).

Sonora Rebel

imported post

CaptainFinn wrote:
Did anyone see the interview on CNN's web site where the sheriff continually refers to the SKS as both an 'AK-47' and a 'fully automatic machine gun'. ? He also said the shooter fired up to '18 shots at one time' and that the guns caused a lot of damage because he was 'shooting high-capacity rounds' through the rifles...WTF ???

What in the high holy goat-effing googly-moogly is a 'high-capactity round' of ammunition ?

'Ever get the idea that those who are s'posed to know what they're talkin' about DON'T? A 7.62x39mm round is an intermediate cartridge at best. They throw around this verbiage 'n nomenclature 'cause it sounds good... without the foggiest idea whatinhell they're saying.

I'm sorry 10 people are dead on account of a maniac... but there are some things beyond prevention.

paramedic70002

imported post

http://connect.jems.com/forum/topic/show?id=2559935%3ATopic%3A92368&xgs=1

Shooting Spree Leaves Alabama EMT/Firefighter Without Wife, Son and Two Family Members

Lance Griffin
Dothan Eagle, Ala.

Mar. 13--SAMSON -- It was going to be a great weekend for the Wise family.

Murray and Tracy Wise would have celebrated their 18th anniversary on Sunday. Their simple, private celebration may have included pleasant memories of the past 18 years such as their last family vacation to Gatlinburg, or all the way back to 1990, when Tracy quit school in the 10th grade to marry the man she loved.

For Murray and his 15-year-old son, Dean, the weekend would extend into Monday, the first day of turkey season.

Fund Established
According to WTVY, Murray was a volunteer with the Samson Rescue Squad as well as the local fire department. The squad set up a special account at: Samson Banking Company Inc., 2 West Main St, Samson, AL 36477.For more information about the fund, you can contact Melissa Stinson at 334-248-3663.

They loved to hunt. Even before Dean was old enough to hunt, father and son would go into the woods, sit and watch. They would try to remain quiet, but sometimes Dean and Murray would talk about Alabama football. A full day without a deer or turkey kill was never a wasted day for the two.

But Murray Wise is planning funerals today instead of anniversary celebrations and hunting trips and wondering why a crazed gunman would take away his family.

Wise stood outside his home Thursday afternoon, less than 30 yards from where Michael McLendon shot and killed his wife and son Tuesday in a crazed killing spree. He said he can still stand only because of the prayers of friends and strangers. Still, he literally clings to his sisters for support.

"The 15 years I had with my son and the 18 years I had with Tracy were good, but I need more," he said.

"I'm lost without (Tracy). She kept me alive."

Tracy Wise was simply known as "Tator" to the Samson community, and everyone knew her. To Murray, Tator had the strongest will in southeast Alabama. After quitting school in the 10th grade, she acquired her GED and put herself through law school at the University of Alabama. She later became the town's magistrate and struck fear into the hearts of the town's lawbreakers.

"People were afraid of her if they had to go in front of her because they knew she would put them in jail," Murray Wise said.

Murray Wise was working just below the state line in Florida on Tuesday when he received the call that buckled his knees and crushed his world.

"I just broke down," he said. "I couldn't stand up."

He will bury his wife and son Tuesday in Samson. He plans to establish a scholarship fund in the name of Dean Wise for deserving local students.

"I want their names to be in this community for as long as I'm around," he said.

http://www.wtvynews4.com/home/headlines/41175937.html

Samson Man Grieves the Loss of Four Family Members

One Samson man who lost his wife and son in Tuesday’s tragic shootings tries to come to grips with his loss. The community is coming together to do whatever it can to support him.

Murray Wise gave his spare time helping save lives.

Now he's grieving over the loss of lives and promising to find a way to for all to remember them.

Wise says, “It's been the most difficult thing in my life, to lose my son and my wife, all in a matter of seconds.”

Murray Wise's wife and son were gunned down by Michael Mclendon on a porch just down the road. During the murderous rampage, Wise's father in law and his wife's grandmother were killed too. He says his loss has been unbearable.

Wise says, “That’s my beautiful wife right there.”

Traci left school in tenth grade to be with Murray. She got her GED and a law degree and was a magistrate in town. Together they had a son, their only child.

“and Dean, lord, he was one and only. Loved his deer hunting, loved his Alabama football.”

Murray volunteers his time on the Samson rescue squad and with the fire department. Members of the rescue squad set up a special fund account in his name.

Stinson says, “We are a close family and Murray was one of our own and so his family was ours too.”

The streets of Samson are quiet today as folks try to cope with the tragedy. City officials say the town will never be the same.

King says, “I think it makes people realize we're not immune to events like this.”

Only time will tell how this small town will heal after one man's murderous rampage.

Funeral arrangements have been set four all four family members.

A viewing will be held at the First Baptist Church in Samson on Monday from 5 to 8 p.m.

The funeral will be held Tuesday at 11:00 at the First Baptist Church.

The special fund will be located at the Samson Banking Company Inc., 2 West Main St, Samson, AL 36477.

Murray says a portion of the funds will be allocated to a scholarship in his son's memory.

For more information about the fund, you can contact Melissa Stinson at 334....

http://www.wtvynews4.com/home/headlines/41244142.html

Town Comedian Hailed As Hero in Alabama Killings

SAMSON, Ala. (AP) - Bruce Maloy was known as Samson's town
comedian who was always boasting about hitting it big someday.

Now, Maloy is emerging as a hero.

On Friday, witnesses and authorities said Maloy, the 10th and
final victim of Tuesday's shooting rampage by Michael McLendon,
tried to end the violence with his beat-up old pickup truck.

With gunshots still echoing through downtown Samson, Maloy
chased McLendon's dark red Mitsubishi out of town and rammed the
vehicle at least once. Geneva County Chief Deputy Tony Helms says
Maloy may have given police time to catch up to McLendon.

The killer shot the 51-year-old welder to death at a lonesome
spot on Alabama 52 before eluding police in Geneva and killing
himself with a single gunshot to the head.

http://www.wtvynews4.com/home/headlines/41232877.html

Victim of Samson shooting may have saved others
Posted: 5:27 PM Mar 13, 2009
Last Updated: 5:27 PM Mar 13, 2009
Reporter: Vanessa Araiza
Email Address: vanessa@wtvy.com

Mayor Clay King says 51-year old Bruce Malloy may have saved many lives while giving his own.

King says Michael McLendon stopped at the Ace Hardware on Main Street and continued to shoot.

Malloy approached McLendon from behind with his vehicle, possibly causing him to keep driving.

Malloy then followed him to Geneva on Highway 52, that's when he rammed McLendon's vehicle.

King says that gave officers extra time to catch up and most likely saved more lives.

Maloy's funeral service will be Wednesday at 11 a.m. in the Chapel of Ppittman Funeral Home in Samson.

suntzu

imported post

cvickers wrote:

I'm here to help!
when all you seem have at hand are bad apples--it makes you want to toss out the entire barrel.

Are they all bad--no. Is it next to impossible to trust any of them--yes, because of too much citizen mistreatment..

but that is now what this thread is about.

suntzu

imported post

and the gun grabbers will use this tragedy, stepping on top of the bodies of the dead even as they do so, in order to push their agenda of more gun control--and in particular another "AWB"...and it just cuts against my grain to even use the term "assault weapon" when speaking of a semi-auto rifle...

police carry "Assault weapons", because they are select fire weapons..why not ban their "assault weapons" and put them on a level playing field with other people and leave the citizens alone and put them to using the same semi-auto rifles we have access to....

citizens do not own "assault weapons"--citizens own SEMI-AUTO rifles and handguns....there IS a difference....

acrimsontide

imported post

suntzu wrote:
and the gun grabbers will use this tragedy, stepping on top of the bodies of the dead even as they do so, in order to push their agenda of more gun control--and in particular another "AWB"...and it just cuts against my grain to even use the term "assault weapon" when speaking of a semi-auto rifle...

police carry "Assault weapons", because they are select fire weapons..why not ban their "assault weapons" and put them on a level playing field with other people and leave the citizens alone and put them to using the same semi-auto rifles we have access to....

citizens do not own "assault weapons"--citizens own SEMI-AUTO rifles and handguns....there IS a difference....
You really have something against LEOs don't you?

suntzu

imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
suntzu wrote:

actually, while it may sound I do--no I don't. I simply get sick and tired of the semi-auto rifles that the average citizen has access to being equated in the same breath with the select-fire weapons that the police use. The average, every day person does not own an "assault weapon". People should get their facts straight before intentionally trying to inflame the public against the Second Amendment.

I'm just don't like abuse of power, and never have. But personally--no, I have nothing against law enforcement. The only thing I have a problem with is when they abuse and mistreat the people and then hide behind a wall of silence and seek to cover it up--abuse is something everyone should have a problem with.

There are good police officers, I have never said otherwise--but the bad ones make it impossible to trust any of them. This is a sad truth in our world today.

acrimsontide

imported post

suntzu wrote:
acrimsontide wrote:
suntzu wrote:

actually, while it may sound I do--no I don't. I simply get sick and tired of the semi-auto rifles that the average citizen has access to being equated in the same breath with the select-fire weapons that the police use. The average, every day person does not own an "assault weapon". People should get their facts straight before intentionally trying to inflame the public against the Second Amendment.

I'm just don't like abuse of power, and never have. But personally--no, I have nothing against law enforcement. The only thing I have a problem with is when they abuse and mistreat the people and then hide behind a wall of silence and seek to cover it up--abuse is something everyone should have a problem with.

There are good police officers, I have never said otherwise--but the bad ones make it impossible to trust any of them. This is a sad truth in our world today.

While I agree that there are some bad LEOs,(I have seen several myself who acted as if they were tougher than Navy Seals) most LEOs are just trying to do a difficult job. When I run into one of them who act as if they are above the rest of the world, I try to remember that there are good and bad school teachers, good and bad store clerks, good and bad sales people, well you get the idea. The people in LE are the same as other professions, there are good and bad people in all walks of life.

As for the "assault rifle" tag, I agree, most civilian do not own them. Most civilians on semi auto look alikes to assault rifles, not the real thing. I do not agree with the thinking that LEOs should not have them as they have many more opportunities to face danger than most of us, or should I say their odds are better of them having to face danger. For my, and most civilian, needs, the semis that we have are sufficient....besides with todays price of ammo many of us couldn't afford to shoot full autos anyway!!!! LOL

As for not trusting LEOs, when troubles do arise, we seem to trust them enough to call 911.

And for the record, I am not LEO