• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backpacking & Packing

daveit

imported post

Living in Alaska, I've become accustomed to carrying pretty much everywhere in the wilderness (hiking, fishing, etc.) Open carrying is no big deal up here especially out in the wilderness...you might get a few dirty looks from the dirty-feet granola crowd but never anything said.

How's Colorado? I didn't own guns last time I lived there and don't remember ever seeing anyone carrying while hiking. I won't be carrying my hand cannon there since I'm sure my XD 9 could stop most 2 & 4 legged threats in CO. I usually carried the revolver in a thigh holster and sometimes a chest one.

What's your experience there? Can you carry in all the state / national parks?

Thanks!

FogRider

imported post

OC is legal in state parks, CC seems to be legal in nat'l parks since January. There seems to be some abiguity about "mountain parks" being part of Denver and thus CC only, but I just recently found out about that and have been trying to figure out just what is going on there.

As for public opinion, I've never seen anyone else packing in the boonies, but noone has commented on mysidearm either.

reefteach

imported post

P1020341.jpg

Whenever I think of open carry while hiking in CO, I think of this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=4779&forum_id=13&jump_to=74035#p74035

denwego

imported post

That was a great day, I tell you what :celebrate:

I do miss Colorado's wilderness! I'd love to go back this summer for a visit, especially now that the National Park issue has been turned around. Is there a plan for a summer BBQ as well as the spring one?