• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

leo's and property

LEO 229

imported post

Yes.

Once it is no longer needed as evidence against the person found with it... it is returned to you if you reported it as stolen and actually had the SN written down.

The only way to identify a gun is stolen is if the bad guy tells you, you find it tossed in the storm water drain, or you run the SN of guns you come across.

esstac

imported post

I had a Glock stolen a few years back. A year after it was stolen I got a phone call that it had been recovered, it took another 1.5 years from then until it was released to me. Held for evidence against the guy who it was recovered from.

Superlite27

imported post

No. You will never see this firearm again.

Anyone who buys it will be advised to cut it up into tiny pieces and dump it into a lake. You may wish that a responsible person will turn it in so you may recover it, but chances are it will be destroyed by persons fearful of getting caught with it.

Honesty never works. It's in the bottom of a lake somewhere.

According to advice probably received by members of OCDO.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:

Anyone who buys it will be advised to cut it up into tiny pieces and dump it into a lake. You may wish that a responsible person will turn it in so you may recover it, but chances are it will be destroyed by persons fearful of getting caught with it.

:lol:

LEO 229

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:

IMO.... If the SN has been destroyed you as the owner are not going to be getting that gun back.

Even if the number is somehow made visible due to chemical processing to make it partially appear. The police would be giving you back your gun with an altered SN and being in possession of it in that condition is a crime.

So you could carry it in that condition and blame the police for letting you have it. You also show them your receipt when you picked it up. Nice way to violate the law and make it appear that the police gave you permission. :lol:

The metal plate on a Glock is very thin. Removing that plate makes it impossible to recover the SN since the rest of the gun is plastic.

Sure, if you want to turn it in to the police and tell them you bought it from your brother.... they can then lock up your brother for selling you the gun w/o a serial number.

Yes, you can pay for a lawyer and have him turn it over to the police keeping you safe. But now you are out even more money. You lost cash on the purchase and now you are going to shell out more for an attorney.

If you really feel it is worthwhile to give it to the police, how about placing it in a safe place and call the police to report it is there from a payphone.

You can watch and make sure they pick it up.

Dustin

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Here's an outstanding story linked to an old Remington Rand M1911A1.

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/09/sweetheart-of-story.html

It's well worth the read ;)
I remember seeing that story and thinking it was sad that such a cool gun was stolen. I'm quite glad to see a happy ending finally happened. :celebrate
Same here, b/c the original topic just stated that the Sheriff was looking for the owner. I think anyway.

LEO 229

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
My daughter had one stolen that I had given her. One year later I got a call to come pick it up.....at the Gonzales, La. PD!

That was about 1986 or so.:shock:
And how did it come into their possession?

gunman

imported post

My house was broken into about 3 months ago they broke into my gun cabinet and took my rugar 9mm. there was a total of 7guns ,4 hand guns 2 shotguns, and 1 rifle the 9mm was the only one they took,and yes i,ve upgraded to a heavier gun safe.