Thread: McDonnell says he will bring the state parks into compliance

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/a-con...bob-mcdonnell/

On Saturday, March 7, 2009, I participated in a Bloggers Conference with Bob McDonnell and a number of Bloggers from across the state. Since Old Virginia isn’t a discussion Blog, I wanted to take some time to check some facts, and digest what Bob had said. There were some very astute Bloggers involved and some very pointed answers given.

Ironically, I was at a gun show during the call. It seemed fitting that I wanted to know if he (McDonnell) would enforce the law and require the State Parks to allow ALL forms of firearm carry. His answer was that he would enforce the laws the General Assembly had passed and that the opinion his office had written, was an opinion of Virginia law….so yes, he would bring them into compliance...........................

Post imported post

You know, I've been wondering something for awhile now, in regards to carry in state parks.

If a location is run by the VA Dept. of Parks and Recreation, is that location considered a "State Park" for purposes of handgun carry? How about a dog park in the middle of Vienna or Reston, etc? They're run by VA DPR. Just curious.

Post imported post

BUBB4H wrote:
    You know, I've been wondering something for awhile now, in regards to carry in state parks.

If a location is run by the VA Dept. of Parks and Recreation, is that location considered a "State Park" for purposes of handgun carry? How about a dog park in the middle of Vienna or Reston, etc? They're run by VA DPR. Just curious.
    Does a facility have to be run by Parks & Recreation to be considered a park?

What about Wildlife Management Areas? Aren't these just special purpose state parks by another name? They offer some similar recreational activities (e.g. camping, fishing, hiking, hunting). Shouldn't they follow the same firearms regulations regarding OC/CC of handguns?

Both the Parks & Recreation and DGIF are under the purview of the Secretary of Natural Resources, to whom Bob McDonnell addressed his firearms carry menu.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

So why didn't he "enforce the opinion" when he was the AG? He had the capacity to enforce it as the AG . If he can go to the U.S. Supreme court via Virginia v. Moore, he certainly can go to a circuit court and enforce the opinion. What's the problem Bob? You don't want to look too pro RKBA before the election ?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
    So why didn't he "enforce the opinion" when he was the AG? He had the capacity to enforce it as the AG . If he can go to the U.S. Supreme court via Virginia v. Moore, he certainly can go to a circuit court and enforce the opinion. What's the problem Bob? You don't want to look too pro RKBA before the election ?
    Ask Him!