• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 2532

me812

imported post

I just did some digging and, much to my chagrin, AZCDL actually supports this monstrosity. It purports to provide a concrete method for a person to have their gun rights restored, but it would do no such thing. Instead of automatically getting your gun rights back when the court order is terminated, you'd have to get a doctor to testify that you're no longer a danger to yourself or others. Of course, most shrinks are anti-gun to the core and even those who aren't would never testify such a thing; that would be a malpractice lawsuit waiting to happen.

I urge AZCDL to change its stance on this bill.

imported post

Dear me812 -

AzCDL does NOT support HB 2532. I do not know where you get your information, but it is NOT correct. Please be more careful in assigning positions to us.

We are certainly aware of it and have objections to the way it is written. When the time is appropriate, we will post an alert on what actions will be taken on the bill. As Valentine Michael Smith said, "waiting is."

Charles Heller
Secretary, AzCDL
secretary@azcdl.org
Host, Liberty Watch, and
America Armed & Free
Sun 10 - Noon
AM 690 KVOI Tucson
AM 930 KAPR Douglas
AM 1240 KJAA Globe

I just did some digging and, much to my chagrin, AZCDL actually supports this monstrosity. It purports to provide a concrete method for a person to have their gun rights restored, but it would do no such thing. Instead of automatically getting your gun rights back when the court order is terminated, you'd have to get a doctor to testify that you're no longer a danger to yourself or others. Of course, most shrinks are anti-gun to the core and even those who aren't would never testify such a thing; that would be a malpractice lawsuit waiting to happen.

I urge AZCDL to change its stance on this bill.

me812

imported post

AzCDL does NOT support HB 2532.

In that case, my apologies.

I do not know where you get your information, but it is NOT correct.

Your website sez that it's "an attempt to provide a more concrete means for people who have been found incompetent to bear arms due to mental disability to have their rights restored." That sounds to me like support, but if it isn't, I apologize.

In any case, if you need a pre-written e-mail about this to give to those on your mailing list, contact me. I've got a good one saved in my email account and ready to go.

ETA: The two sponsors are Republicans, so I've got a bad feeling about this one. :(

imported post

Dahwg -

Understood. As mentioned in an earlier post, we are aware of this and are not supporting it. When the time comes to act upon this bill with amendments, we will be on it. Right now the budget is consuming most of the energy of the legislature.

When it moves, we will attempt tomake itmore favorable. We are on it, but right nowlobbying about it at the legislature is not warranted.

The fact that you and others are paying attention so keenly, is a good sign for our republic. H.U.E.O. (heads up, eyes open.)

Charles Heller
Secretary, AzCDL

Dahwg

imported post

CharlesHeller wrote:
Dahwg -

Understood. As mentioned in an earlier post, we are aware of this and are not supporting it. When the time comes to act upon this bill with amendments, we will be on it. Right now the budget is consuming most of the energy of the legislature.

When it moves, we will attempt tomake itmore favorable. We are on it, but right nowlobbying about it at the legislature is not warranted.

The fact that you and others are paying attention so keenly, is a good sign for our republic. H.U.E.O. (heads up, eyes open.)

Charles Heller
Secretary, AzCDL

I got it. My post was in response to me812's ;)I know the good AZCDL does... I'm a fan of your show on Sunday afternoons. I'm most concerned about SB1270 I'd saythis is theone single billthat will give usthe most bang for our buck!

me812

imported post

I already have an email about this composed and saved. Do you think it's too early to send it to my reps?

Dahwg

imported post

me812 wrote:

I already have an email about this composed and saved. Do you think it's too early to send it to my reps?
An excellent idea! We should all be vigilant about any and all bills being considered. Activism is about more than strapping a gun on your hip. Let's do it OCDO!!

me812

imported post

Here's my email, in case anyone wants to use it:

Dear Representative (or Senator),

I urge you to oppose HB 2532. Its proponents claim that it would provide a more concrete means for people who have been found incompetent to bear arms due to mental disability to have their rights restored but, in reality, it would do no such thing. Under current state law, when a person's court-ordered treatment is terminated, his rights are automatically restored. Under HB 2532, a person would first have to convince doctors and a judge that he is fit to possess firearms. This would be a near-impossible task when one considers that both the American Bar Association and the psychiatric profession are, by and large, virulently anti-gun, and that even those psychiatrists who do not harbor an anti-gun bias would be loath to testify that any person is fit to own a firearm due to fear of malpractice lawsuits over said person's possible future criminal activities with guns. The end result of this legislation would be to restore virtually no one's right to possess a gun under federal law while stripping thousands of their right to possess a gun under state law.

HB 2532 is well intentioned, but ill-advised. It will result in a net loss of gun rights and snare more of the non-violent mentally ill into our already overcrowded jails and prisons where they do not belong.

Current Arizona law regarding guns and the mentally ill is already harsher than it needs to be. If anything, the prohibition in ARS 13-3101 regarding firearms and the mentally ill should be repealed altogether. When a person is on court-ordered treatment, the terms of the court order prohibit him from possessing firearms, anyway, and if he violates the terms of court order, he can be rehospitalized by the mental heath authorities. This, and not a felony prosecution, is the just and proper way to deal with a mentally ill person who has harmed no one, is merely in possession of a firearm, and may not have even been found by the courts to constitute a danger to anyone but himself.

Sincerely,
Your name
Your address
City, state, zip code
Phone number
Insert gun group memberships here