Thread: Macomb County ammo shortage

Post imported post

I've noticed that there's been a huge ammo shortage in Macomb County. (A friend from St. Clair County said he's not having any problems at all finding ammo) While, I don't want to get into the details as to why this is happening and create a finger pointing contest, since Wal-Mart can no longer seem to stock the 'ever cheap' Blazer Brass .40 S&W at an amazing $12.47 a box, I've considered buying online at ammunitiontogo.com because reloading for me is not an option. (I simply don't have the extra time.) Has anyone gotten ammo from this website before? How was your experience?
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

Ive ordered from ammunitiontogo.com also cheaperthandirt.com. Both places I had no problems with. Shipping was kinda high but with the weight its expected. Ammunition to go took about 4 days to process the order and took 4 days for UPS to get it to Jackson. My UPS guy did this: when he delivered it, small box that was 35lbs, 1000rds of 40 S&W. He said he kept moving the box thinking it wasn't heavy and it fooled him every time.

Post imported post

I recently purchased some ammo from http://wideners.com/index.cfm They are currently backlogged with orders, so take 15-18 days to get an order.
    (I wasn't in a hurry, so no big deal to me. )

Other options : (no experience with any of the ones below)

http://www.midwayusa.com
    http://palmettostatearmory.com
    http://www.natchezss.com/index.cfm

Post imported post

I've ordered from ammo to go many times never a problem and pretty fair prices, but ever since the Russians quit importing ammo its been going down hill in terms of finding what you want. Every place I've been going to is sold out and I think I know why people are buying it all up.

Post imported post

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but RELOAD!!! It can pay for itself in one or 2 range trips these days.

If you have your heart set on wasting money on factory ammo, at least waste as little as possible by finding the current best deals: http://gun-deals.com/index.php
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Jonny008 wrote:
    I've ordered from ammo to go many times never a problem and pretty fair prices, but ever since the Russians quit importing ammo its been going down hill in terms of finding what you want. Every place I've been going to is sold out and I think I know why people are buying it all up.
    Whoever told you the Russians quit importing ammo was lying. They have had a lot of quality control problems, with Wolf Military Classic easily being the worst, but they are still importing tons and tons of Roosky ammo every day.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    I don't know how many times I have to say this, but RELOAD!!! It can pay for itself in one or 2 range trips these days.

If you have your heart set on wasting money on factory ammo, at least waste as little as possible by finding the current best deals: http://gun-deals.com/index.php
    even reloading is getting tough right now. most places are out of primers.... :-( several have claims they may not get any more till end of summer too....

Post imported post

Primers are the most important ingredient. Everything else you can make yourself if you have to, assuming you can find your brass. It only makes sense to stock up on primers as a top priority when buying shooting supplies. That is why I've been stocked up since early 2008, and didn't even know about the primer shortage. :?

Post imported post

yea, we bought the last 5000 small pistol and 3000 large pistol primers we could find at a place up here...

Post imported post

Unfortunately most of the online vendors are running very low if not out completely.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I've been able to score 9000 SP primers in the last 2 weeks

Post imported post

dad just scored another 5000 last night :-D

Post imported post

Last time I checked prices for primers, they were $15 for 200. Considering I have to get the press, sealant, powder, etc.. I can't see how this can be even remotely close to being cheaper than just buying ammo. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm not sold that I can reload cheaper than buying. Can someone do a break down for me of everything?
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

buy much larger quantities at a time.

1000, 2000, 3000, etc. primers.

pounds and pounds of powder

500 - 1000 counts of bullets

thousands of brass.

because i shoot soo much, i have to send my M&P in for warranty. We figured out that pistol has had 30,000 rounds through it.

if i slam a magazine in, the slide releases without me pressing the slide release or pulling back the slide to release the latch

Post imported post

Lets not forget the outright tax/ban on ammo they are trying in the 2A administration.
    Even if you can get it cheaper now, you are going to need to reload down the road.

Just stay up an extra hour couple times a week to protect your rights.
    You can learn now and get help, or you can wing it in the future when
    it will be a crime.

I am researching primers, by the end of this admin, I will be making my own.
    If it lasts 8 years you can bet it will be the only source. I'm already building the
    containment facilities for the work. Just wish we could sue the gov for reckless
    endangerment for all they make us do to uphold our rights.

Post imported post

Like I said in my original post, we don't need a finger pointing contest. Or slippery slopes, etc.

Back on the topics of reloads, I suppose I should start sweeping up my brass every time I go to the range then. Where do you guys get your reload materials? I've never reloaded before, and don't know too much about it, other than pricing things out. Can I reload in my apartment, or am I going to end up gassing my wife and cat because of toxic fumes? I've heard a lot of horror stories about reloads too, and how they can damage the gun, etc. if not done properly (and since I don't know what I'm doing, I'd probably have to watch for this).

Post imported post

I've also used Wideners.com with no problems. You might want to check out Aim Surplus (http://www.aimsurplus.com) too. Unfortunately, like every other place,they're both out of stock on most everything.