• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some assistance please?

DESERT ATILLA

imported post

NRS 202.3653 Definitions. As used in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Concealed firearm” means a loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver or other firearm which is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.

I have a permit to CC. But, I OC more often.:celebrate Whether I OC or CC, I make it a point not to do either one halfway. I don't want any misunderstandings. My handgun is very obvious when I OC. I make sure there's no chance of a piece of clothing covering my handgun. While OC'ng, I use a GALCO rig with a thumb break and a forward tilt. It keeps my handgun in tight to my ribs so I have better control. The holster is attached to a very sturdy belt.

If you plan on OC'ng in North Las Vegas, become very familiar with its ordinances. They are very tricky.

http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/nolasvegas/

In truth you should become very familiar with all of Nevada's relevant laws.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec253

I a nutshell, be informed. OC'ng ismore than carryingyoursidearm. It's about excercising your rights, and teaching the ignorant. And in too many cases, defending yourself against the law itself. There are a lot of great discussions in the forum by people far more educated on our laws than I.

As far a having to draw my weapon, I never have. I dearly hope I never have to.

calmp9

imported post

Some Guy Somewhere users/26330.htmlwrote:
I have always been brought up around guns, between my grandpa and my dad I didnt really have a choice ( not that I mind). Nobody in my family OC's or CC's, so naturally being younger I hadnt considered it. A few years back I started entertaining the idea of CC when I became of proper age. I am 19 now, still a ways from cc, but in light of recent nonpersonal events in the city, and a very personal event in my apartment complex, I have decided to OC, which I am very fresh to, but this NV specific forum has helped lots.

2 Questions.

1st, Have you ever had to draw your weapon, cc or oc, and what happened? And what is your prefered way to cc or oc, inside belt, shoulder, etc. (If there is already a thread for that Ill edit it out)

2nd, When practicing oc, does the entire outline of the gun need to be in view, or just so that it is easily identifiable as a firearm, I.E. just the grip.

Thanks in advance, and please be patient, I am looking forward to becoming a member of your OC Community.

Thanks

Fortunately, I have never had to draw my handgun. I don't like to use the term "weapon". While is one by definition, the use of the term implies that I am out looking for trouble. Nothing can be further from the truth.

I have open carry a few times, but I conceal carry more. Nothing wrong with either one of these methods.

When you open carry, your handgun has to be in plain view. It has to be obvious that you are carrying it.

Just remember one thing: Even when carrying a handgun, your first option is to avoid the situation altogether, even if it means running away.

Good luck!

jfrey123

imported post

Lots of guys won't talk about their experiences, especially those who've drawn to save their lives. Pretty traumatic stuff.

I saw you were a younger fella (I'm only 23, not like I'm any wiser), but when you get to your CCW class when you're older, they're going to cover the most uncomfortable aspect of carrying: You have to be ready to use it someday. Period. End of story.

The instructor hammered this into us. Opened the course with a good, hard speech wondering if we were ready to kill someone. Ready to take a life, take a child away from it's mother. It's uncomfortable when a teacher does it, really makes you sit back and examine it. Anyway, point is a lot of guys maintain that mentality. FWIW.

I'm comfortable reporting one near use I had. Ironically, it was the first day I carried. I was carrying a Bersa Thunder .380 on my right hip, leather IWB with thumb retention under a work vest. It was after work, about 5:10pm, and I was walking out to the company car to go home. I drove behind our shop into an alley that leads over to the freeway onramp. As soon as I rounded the shop into the alley, I saw a group of Hispanics. Not uncommon, at the time we had nearly 80 non-office employees and I knew none of them. One walks across the alley to the driver's side of my car, waving me to stop. Again, not uncommon, the workers love to talk to the office guys.

As I came to a stop next to him, I got a bad vibe. I had started to let the window automatically power all the way down, but I stopped it after it cracked maybe 2-3", and that seemed to surprise him. He said, "Hey man, you got a smoke?" Told him no, don't have one, and at this point, I noticed 3-4 tear drops tattoo'ed on his face. (That put me an inch away from Red Alert") He then asked me for a light, and I again reiterated "No, I don't smoke." It was at this point he stepped closer to the car, closing the distance from a few feet to touching my car, and he swore a couple of times and stated "You'd better give me something."

As he came forward, I was in intense disbelief. Instinct kicked in a little, and I transitioned my right hand from the steering wheel to the grip of my weapon, brushing the vest out of the way en route, and pushed the snap retention out of the way. A tense moment followed, felt like a full minute but probably seconds only. His hands on my car still, I told him "Well I'm gonna go now" and I punched the throttle. Called the cops, they didn't necessarily want a report, but they said they'd go take a look. Never heard about it afterward.

I've had one other incident where I was around a man with a gun, but I was able to immediately retreat and I'm not sure he was a threat in hindsight. But that's my one story I can share.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I drew on a charging dog once. I tried running away first but the dog was much faster than I was. Thankfully I didn't need to shoot because the dog retreated at the last moment. It may sound stupid, but I feared serious injury or worse and the dog was angry and potentially quite dangerous.