• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A potential new ally...

Overtaxed

imported post

I just finished reading an interesting new book by Neil Strauss called "Emergency - this book will save your life."
The book chronicles his awakening to the dangers of the world, and the ways he has gone about dealing with them - in effect, realizing (even explicitly stating) that governments cannot and will not protect you from anything ranging from
criminal attack to hurricanes, invasions, civil disorder, etc.
He puts himself through detailed survival training, including a week at Gunsite.
Throughout most of the book he talks about his preparations to possibly
leave the country in a time of national distress - possibly forever, to live in sunny
St. Kitts in the Caribbean, where gaining citizenship can be accelerated through the purchase of a substantial piece of real estate.
Toward the end of the book, he talks about receiving Red Cross, FEMA
and EMS training. He participates in mass casualty incidents, and comes around to the idea that staying and helping others, in effect becoming a sheepdog, might be the right way to go, should the stuff hit the fan.
There are many, many youngish men like Neil - kinda nerdy, affluent, sheltered urban/suburban background, afraid of/ignorant about guns.
Neil has quite a following among that set, due to the cultish popularity of his prior book, The Game.
I'm hoping that these pseudo-acolytes will take his survival and preparedness lessons to heart, including his transformation from fear and ignorance relating to firearms, to outright enthusiasm.