• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Res Maine CCW Permit

rustyj41

imported post

Ok i'm a little confused now. I have a non-res Maine permit. I'm 19, Az resident. Am I breaking the law concealing?

I mainly got the permit so I could keep the gun in my truck to avid any problems. But a friend of mine said that my permit is Null until I turn 21?

2LT Jeff Thompson

Hiredgun30

imported post

i have the same issue , i am now a arizona resident and have a valid idaho permit..

ur out of state permit is only good if you are not a resident of arizona.

my permit was good when i first moved here but . i became a resident when i found a job

i remember the reasoning behind changing the law was because residents of arizona were getting utah permits by the thousands. Dps officials were saying the arizonans who were unable to get a permit here, were being accepted for utah permits.

Hiredgun30

imported post

i have a idaho ccw, idaho drivers licence, and state id card and own a home in idaho and it didnt count for anything......

i called DPS,emailed attorney generals office, and spoke to a lawyer friend and was told the same thing. if u have a job in arizona, u r a resident..

they also said u can visit arizona for 7 months (without employment) before u r considered a resident." snow bird"

TommyJ1912

imported post

rustyj41 wrote:
Ok i'm a little confused now. I have a non-res Maine permit. I'm 19, Az resident. Am I breaking the law concealing?

I mainly got the permit so I could keep the gun in my truck to avid any problems. But a friend of mine said that my permit is Null until I turn 21?

2LT Jeff Thompson
Rusty,

For the answer to your question, see A.R.S. 13-3112 - which outlines AZ's Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP) program - subsections U and W:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03112.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

U. This state and any political subdivision of this state shall recognize a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state if both:
1. The permit or license is recognized as valid in the issuing state.
2. The permit or license holder is all of the following:
(a) Not a resident of this state.
(b) Legally present in this state.
(c) Not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm in this state.

W. Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, a person with a concealed weapons permit from another state may not carry a concealed weapon in this state if the person is under twenty-one years of age or is under indictment for, or has been convicted of, a felony offense in any jurisdiction, unless the person's rights have been restored and the conviction is expunged, set aside or vacated and the applicant is currently not a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.

Since you are an AZ resident, your non-resident ME permit is not valid in AZ [A.R.S. 13-3112(U)]. Furthermore, even if you weren't an AZ resident, you still could not carry a concealed weapon with the ME permit until you were over the age of 21 [A.R.S. 13-3112(W)].

Therefore, you would be breaking the law by carrying a concealed weapon without a valid permit [A.R.S. 13-3102(A)(1) or (2) - "misconduct involving weapons," a class 1 misdemeanor]. However, it would not be against the law for you to open carry.

- Mike S.

Dahwg

imported post

rustyj41 wrote:

2LT Jeff Thompson
As long as it is in a holster, in a glove compartment, center console or map pocket, or plainly visible then you don't need a CCW permit to have it.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Since you are an AZ resident, you must have an AZ CCW to carry concealed. Unfortunately, you cannot get an AZ CCW until you are 21.

If you were not a resident of AZ, then your ME CCW would be valid for you to carry concealed here, without regard to your age.

Sorry.

TommyJ1912

imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
Since you are an AZ resident, you must have an AZ CCW to carry concealed. Unfortunately, you cannot get an AZ CCW until you are 21.

If you were not a resident of AZ, then your ME CCW would be valid for you to carry concealed here, without regard to your age.

Sorry.
Slayer,

Your assertion that age is not a factor for a non-resident is not correct. A person with a valid non-resident permit must be over the age of 21 to conceal carry in AZ. Please see my post above.

junglebob

imported post

Even if you are 21 and have a CCW permit you may not be able to conceal carry in some states, three that come to mind are Illinois, Wisconsin, and Missouri. Illinois and Wisconsin are concealed carry "right denied states" and Missouri requires that you be 21. Also open carry in Wisconsin is a questionable idea, one fellow recently was arrested near Milwaukee for open carrying in his own yard. Now I consider Milwaukee an extremely anti-gun city along with Madison, you might get by with it in some central or northern areas of Wisconsin. I say that as someone who lived there for 31 years and never noticed an ordinary resident open carry.

Always check the laws on firearms carry for the state you intend to visit.

Missouri though requiring you be 23 to conceal carry does recognize all other LTC permits.Indiana is better, you can conceal or open carry at 18 with a LTC and all states LTC are recognized.

Illinois is listed here on opencarry.org as a rural open carry state, but you can't open carry in a vehicle. I live in this "right denied state" and would say it might get you arrested, though I do it when walking my dog in my neighborhood or on my own land. Carrying open or concealed on your own property is allowed of course.

We are getting closer to getting concealed carry legislation, probably still a few years off, but if you value your open carry rights, you probably don't want to move to Illinois from Arizona.

Dahwg

imported post

Good information, though I'm pretty sure he was asking about Arizona, seeing as he posted it in the Arizona section. :p

I'm pretty sure I read about that guy in Milwaukee, any news on how that turned out?