• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shoot out in texas years ago

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Like it was yesterday!

We need such a personally involved charismatic spokesperson on a national level.

Yata hey

orthzar

imported post

I wonder why I have never even heard of this amazing lady.

Her last statement needs to be put on a T-shirt and on bill-boards:

"The Second Amendment is about our right to be able to protect ourselves from all of you guys [Legislators] up there."

I have the same anger at our legislators here in Texas. Laws that cause the populus in general to remain unprotected are laws that take away our right to life. This makes all Texans that can't protect themselves under the law slaves to the state of Texas. Therefore, I am a slave to the state of Texas, and I have to wait months for anything to happen.

Hoping' and praying to God

MetalChris

imported post

God forbid I pick nits, but that incident was far from a "shootout." It was a massacre.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MetalChris wrote:
God forbid I pick nits, but that incident was far from a "shootout." It was a massacre.
Extremely valid point - 23 people were slaughtered, 20 more wounded before the shooter took his own life.

Suzanna Gratia Hupp had a gun in her car but as a law abiding citizen did not bring it in with her. She pointedly blamed the Texas legislators for allowing the condition to exist wherein her parents and others were made helpless victims - as I blame the Va. General Assembly and the Va. Tech administration for the massacre there. :X :banghead:

Guns Save Lives :exclaim:

Yata hey

YllwFvr

imported post

Ive seen this several times before, but it hits me hard every time. Its a heart breaking story, and she is a very strong woman for talking about it and standing up to those people. You can see that they dont care anything for what she says. In one ear and out the other Im sure.

When she is talking about her parents getting killed they just looked at her like "when is she going to be done?" The lack of compassion is absolutely stunning, because her point is valid! If she had her gun with her back then, would things have ended the same? Possibly. Its possible. I see it as unlikely though. I think her father and mother would be alive. Im sickened by what our so called "leaders" are guiding us into. I see the ring through my nose and my feet are planted.

She also told this story on Penn and Teller on the 2a, which is also a good video.

There are a few quiet heros in this who continue our fight when so much of us have no clue. Sue is one. Dan, Richard, and Melanie are others that we know. I want to thank them ALL.

Sealgar

imported post

She's quite a woman, and has served in the Legislater for several years. She's quit recently as she needs to make some money for retirement. I guess since she doesn't take bribes as the rest do, she works for her money. Sometimes she's on KLBJ in Austin, and she is one sharp lady. I wish SHE were running for Governor!!!

jim

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Anyone want to know THE REST OF THE STORY???

The guy that shot up that Lubys Cafeteria was a Merchant Seaman. He "went off" because a Coast Guard Administrative Law Judge in Houston (a civilian judge working for the CG) had just revoked his Merchant Mariner's Document (his license to work as a Merchant Seaman)

I don't remember what his original "crime" or problem was or the reason it was taken away, but it was determined that his "response" to losing his License was the shooting rampage at Luby's.

I learned this because I took the judge to the range in Galveston in 1999. He told me the whole sordid story. I was a Coast Guard Small Arms Instructor for 17 Coast Guard units in the Texas/Lousyanna area. When the judge called me to go to the range, I originally told him that we didn't allow civilian workers for the CG to shoot at the range. He asked me to talk to my CO and please return his call with a convenient range date. I spoke to my CO and he told me that the Judge was an "exception" to the rule and asked me to take him.

I checked with my Ordnance chain of command to make sure my butt was covered and thatI was in fact, authorized to take him to the range. I got a call-back about an hour later. The request went all the way up to Headquarters and back down in record time. Someone up the chain made the command decision (and later a written directive) that civilian lawyers and judges working for the CG were authorized to receive range training.

I called the judge back and made the date. he was a nice guy and a pretty good shooter. I was surprised the judge was carrying a concealed pistol AND wearing body armor.

After shooting, he told me the story... The judge (and certain other legal personnel) working for the Coast Guard are authorized to carry CG-owned weapons and to shoot semi-annually to maintain their qualifications. He asked me if I knew about the Lubys Cafeteria shooting and I said I had. It happened in October of 1991. I was stationed in New York Cityat the time, and didn't really follow the story. He (the judge) had presided over a hearing at which the guy's Merchant Mariner document (license) had been taken away. The guy obviously didn't appreciate that and then went on the shooting spree.

This incident resulted in changes to the Texas CC law and also to the way Coast Guard Hearings process works. After that incident, they stopped giving the decisions in court at the time of the hearing, and started mailing the judge's decision. I guess they thought that would be a "cooling down" time between the heated debate of a court case and the actual revocation of the license. It also resulted in judges and lawyers "packin" and wearing body armor.

And now you know... THE REST OF THE STORY...

Semper Paratus
msc

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Cracker wrote:
It's sad that after so many incidents we are still nailed with gun laws that only help the criminals...
How to be a victim and a criminal in one easy step - defend yourself under the wrong circumstances.

20,000 gun laws out there - how many do you know?

Yata hey

Last Knight

imported post

Speaking as a government-employed Merchant Mariner, I find that pretty darned interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I can understand being pretty upset that your right to sail - your right to work - has been taken away. I can't understand the mindset of "guess I'll go shoot a few dozen people who had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it." It's the action of a despicable coward.

It's a pity that the government remains so terrified of armed citizens that they continue to penalize the law-abiding, and put them at risk.

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Anyone want to know THE REST OF THE STORY???