• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Must Read!

prcE6

imported post

Wow... is that really how the majoritly looks at the general populace carrying?

I totally understand officer safety and am all for it. It seems like some of their opinions, however, are that LEO's are THE most important people in society, and the rest of us be damned.

If they really don't care about our dignity when it comes to their safety, then how am I supposed to care about their safety when it comes to my dignity? I just want to go home at night without any extra holes in me too. Doesn't mean I have to get treated like some 3rd class citizen though.

Decoligny

imported post

PRC-E6 wrote:
Wow... is that really how the majoritly looks at the general populace carrying?

I totally understand officer safety and am all for it. It seems like some of their opinions, however, are that LEO's are THE most important people in society, and the rest of us be damned.

If they really don't care about our dignity when it comes to their safety, then how am I supposed to care about their safety when it comes to my dignity? I just want to go home at night without any extra holes in me too. Doesn't mean I have to get treated like some criminal though.
Fixed that for ya.

wayneco

imported post

Those cops in that thread sound like a bunch of arrogant, entitled sociopaths.

Just who we need in public servant roles. Not.

I was especially amused by the PeteGould who said this:

"Please cite the Constitutional paragraph or amendment that prohibits a law enforcement officer from temporarily disarming someone who is carrying legally, then returning the firearm to them at the end of the encounter."

Sounds like a young, arrogant cop who can't accept that we have the same right to self defense as he does and he has likely never read the Constitution or Bill of Rights, which I find humorous as he's probably taken an oath to uphold just that.

The attitude by the cop-rambos on that list are why I never disclose when I'm carrying and thank god my home state doesn't compel me to. The last thing I want is to find myself proned out on my car's hood or the asphalt while NOT breaking any law just so they can feel more in charge or get their jollies treating me poorly due to their own 2A prejudice, all under color of law.

Mark my words, the 2A rights movement of which we are all a part is a civil rights movement on the same scale or larger than the ones that established rights for women, blacks or anyone else and it's just as critical we prevail.

oilfieldtrash11

imported post

yeah well i would be deeply troubled if I had my firearm taken from me for 15 minutes. Im thinking we need to go to detroit, have mr badass slam us onto the hood and take my gun so i can take his house and his truck and anything else he may have. then we can see how he feels about our second ammendment rights cus as he stated

"You can be away from your gun for the 15 minutes you are issued a citation. So sorry if you feel that infringes on your holy second amendment right.

Its for officer safety and for yours. Deal."

good job "ERIK" for making yourself look like a jackass

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wayneco wrote:
...Mark my words, the 2A rights movement of which we are all a part is a civil rights movement on the same scale or larger than the ones that established rights for women, blacks or anyone else and it's just as critical we prevail.
That's exactly what I came to realize when Ohio had its Open Carry "Defense Walks"

And, the plight of those less socially-advantaged was evident to me when I was stopped at gunpoint by 3 cops and fed BS.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I disagree with the whole "officer safety" excuse they always throw out there. It's a dangerous job. DEAL. You know that going in, and if you're that shit scared to do the job then find something less dangerous. Candy assed egotists...

NoHammer

imported post

If they feel that they can lose control of the situation that easily then maybe they need to go back to the academy for additional training.Better yet just turn their badge in and join the ranks the uncontrollable gun-toters they fear so much. If someone was going to use their weapon against a cop, I don't really think they'd tell the cop they were carrying beforehand. Kind of defeats the purpose of concealing it. I don't know who to worry about more now, the cops or the baddies.

demnogis

imported post

It is very disheartening to see the manner in which some LEOs (on that board, specifically) view those which they are to serve and protect the population second to upholding the constitution.

I especially liked this quote:

Posted by
-Erik-:
With all due respect.... The constitution was written when slavery was popular, kicking indians off there land was cool and when women didnt have the vote. Times change buddy. The 2nd amendment is somewhat outdated. When it was written firearm ownership was a nescessary part of life. Today it is far less so. Forgive me if I show very little, if any sympathy, for the guy who is seperated from his firearm for all of 15 minutes.
Quite sad, indeed. "Outdated"? It matters not the age of our constitution -- it is the law of the land. The Bill of Rights enumerates the rights of all the people in the land.

I forget, sometimes, that the citizenry is divided. Politicans and Law Enforcement at the (untouchable) top, everyone else at the bottom. :uhoh: Only badges get rights, apparently.

giaking70

imported post

I read through some of that bullshit and qouted some of the folks on that forum as well and my opinion afterwards. Seems to me like they really don't care....

“In a strict literary sense a person's 2nd amendment right is violated anytime he is forced to give up his firearm. Unless the firearm holder voluntarily gives up his weapon, his 2nd amendment right has been violated... again, in a strict literary sense.

Me, I don't mind an officer disarming me for a stop as long as it's done with respect and professionalism. On the same token, my carrying a weapon demands I show curtesy and respect to the officer. "My license is in my back pocket next to my firearm officer. How would like me to proceed?" Or, "My registration is in the glove box with my Firearm, officer. Should I wait for your queue to open it?"

The fact of the matter here is that LEO's and CCW holders are so passionate about their situations that they cannot objectively debate the situation.

One officer here says that guns are meant to kill people and will therefore be removed from a CCW on a traffic stop. However, it is stance that guns ARE NOT MEANT TO kill people that made CCW's acceptable in the first place. I mean really, if we interviewed every PO and CCW why they carry their weapon would the dominate answer be "so I can kill people?"

I've read in these CCW threads PO's saying that what the CCW thinks of them is not important only to read in another read how unfairly LE is displayed in the media and that people don't get the right image of them. And then, when a civilian uses an awesome tool like this forum to interact with a large number of officers from a wide variety of locales they're told that LE doesn't care about their image or how they're thought of. Unless of course, someone says something nice and then it's all "thank you, we don't hear that too often. We really appreciate it when someone makes that gesture." And then later say something like, "these forums are a place for LE to not be LE."

Well, that's bull****. You're a police officer 24/7. Whether you want to be or not. The kids that look up to you consider you a PO 24/7 and the lady getting raped, the guy getting robbed, they all consider you a PO 24/7. On this forum you're a PO 24/7.

The fact is right now no one is looking out for the image of LE, not even LE itself. Are you really surprised to learn that many civilians believe PO's to be arrogant, above the law, corrupt individuals who consider the rights of the people a distant second to themselves.

I have enough life experience to understand the complexities of the matter and the risks and nature of LE. Because of this, I know that view is not reflective of LE in it's entirety. But I also grew up being told that being a PO was a noble profession where ordinary people risk their lives and put their safety second to the people they serve. But the world of LE has changed from the time of those stories that my grandfather told me. And in my mind its changed for the worse. Does that mean PO's are bad people, of course not. Does it mean it's the PO's fault... not entirely. But there are things PO's can take charge of and change for the better.

So, in regards to disarming a CCW, why can't we just get to a census:

Some PO's will do it for safety reasons, others will not. If you're expected to disarm yourself, do so for the officer's peace of mind and to help out a man that may one day be taking a bullet in your or your family's defense.

And leave it at that. That's all us civs need to know; and civs that's the least you can do for these fine men in uniform”.

Me: Nicely put I think….

“We need not be so full of ourselves. Our stuff smells just like everyone else’s. And, we could, be wrong - even when debating [size=those lowly civilians]!”

Me: I don’t appreciate being called a “lowly civilian”….jerk!!

“Regardless of the situation, YOU HAVE A GUN, AND GUNS ARE USED TO KILL PEOPLE. It’s as simple as that”.

Me: Hmmm…I disagree with that statement, only in the hands of criminals do they kill.

“Get over yourself, if you get your gun taken away for all of 15 minutes its not going to kill you. But you having a firearm could kill me so consider your gun mine till the stop is over”.

Me: And you are then illegally seizing my weapon if you do so with that clause and phrase especially if I get it on digital recording for your boss to hear…

Again….”In a strict literary sense a person's 2nd amendment right is violated anytime he is forced to give up his firearm. Unless the firearm holder voluntarily gives up his weapon, his 2nd amendment right has been violated... again, in a strict literary sense”.

“Very well put Firefiend. I'm not yet a PO, I'm in the works for the Sheriffs office. I have been a CCW holder for about 8 yrs. I have no problem relinquishing my firearm. The problem is that I have never been "asked" to. 4 years ago, second date with a new lady, in the middle of dinner. I was tackled by an off duty PO because when I sat down without my coat I printed and he thought I was much too young to have a CCW. I think that fits in the "over the hood" type of disarming. I think that PO should have the right to disarm for thier protection and I think CCW holders should respect that. But, there are a few "chest beaters" around that might take it over the top from time to time. Lying on the ground cuffed in a restaurant for ten minutes is a bit much. I did however get my meal for free and the PO was "talked" to about the incident, according to the apology letter I received”.

Me: I would have sued him….could of broken a collar bone or arm in the process thus possibly preventing him from getting the job as a Sheriff. Talk about over-reacting…geez.