• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Economic Stimulus Experiment

IanB

imported post

Recently I came across a post by a new member who recalled his experience at an OC friendly barber shop in Springfield.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=22250&forum_id=54

This got me thinking… What if WE, the gun rights community here in OC friendly NOVA started focusing OUR economic spending power to patronize establishments that CLEARLY support our 2A rights?

I am familiar with the barber shop mentioned above. I’ve never been there as a customer but I drive past it every day. The strip mall it’s located in is small and does not see much business.

The avg VCDL meeting has 50+ attendees. Now if just half of us went to this barber, to support him because he supports us… the constant flow of persons getting haircuts while OC’ing would be a very noticeable. It could also mean the difference between him keeping an employee or laying someone off.

So, who will join me? Who will get a haircut at this barber shop, and let him know (tell him) EXACTLY WHY you chose to patronize his establishment? It’s just one haircut, if you don’t like the results, it’s just 2-3 weeks before you can go back to your regular barber.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the barber shop.

Discuss?

DarkHorse

imported post

I say lets at least have a list of knownretailers/business's that are pro 2nd ammendment. I would be happy to spend my money in those places vs others.

bdodds

imported post

I guess I've subconsciously done this all along - I know that Giovanni's Pizza in my town is 2A friendly, so I patronize them often.

A list would be a good thing, publishing that list here (or elsewhere) and informing the establishments that they're listed and why we support them (because they support us) should be win/win.

wylde007

imported post

VCDL sort of maintains a gun-unfriendly list... but they don't update it very frequently.

I wager it wouldn't be too difficult to draft a preliminary list for the main page from the "Open Carry In Hampton Roads" and similarly entitled threads. Multiple clickable regions on a list or a map for each state...

I don't know who you would get to maintain/moderate it though.

I'm with bdodds; I'm doing this more and more wherever I go. So far I've actually only been asked to leave one place while OCing.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've been toying for a while with a google map implementation that would let you drop a pin on a map and set it as pro or anti gun. It won't be ready for a little while yet, but it seems like it's something that is needed.

bdodds

imported post

The google maps app sounds like a good platform to do it on.. not to add complexity, but marking those places outwardly unfriendly is probably a good idea also.. as we gain experiences, we can add markers and populate the map..

the down side of it being that you need to know where you're going, need to make sure there is some consistency in formatting, and it's difficult to just print out a list and keep it in your glovebox or something.. i could be wrong on any of these points, too..

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've already got a system in place to show businesses within [x] miles of an address or zip.

With Google maps, I believe you can now use GPS to automatically show your location, and I'll be doing a mobile version so people with internet enabled phones can quickly see what's around them.

I'll put what I've got so far online this weekend maybe so I can get some feedback.

DarkHorse

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
I've already got a system in place to show businesses within [x] miles of an address or zip.

With Google maps, I believe you can now use GPS to automatically show your location, and I'll be doing a mobile version so people with internet enabled phones can quickly see what's around them.

I'll put what I've got so far online this weekend maybe so I can get some feedback.
This sounds great. Can't wait to see what you have.

wylde007

imported post

Now that sounds like a useful tool!

Can't wait to see what you've come up with!

BTW, does Google Maps support downloading of waypoints in a generally universal format to use as POIs in handhelds? That would be the bee's knees.

hsmith

imported post

I was pondering writing a "receipt tool" website- where you could scan/send your receipts into the website (and enter the dollar amount spent to do reports)

we could then aggregate how much money is spent by everyone and how much money they are LOSING thanks to being anti-2nd amendment.

i might get around to it, i think it would be HIGHLY beneficial if people used it.

establishments start seeing dollar figures spent, they start caring.

if people are interested and would spread the word, i'd defget around to it, then hooking it into the google maps thing as mentioned above would be a great tool as well

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Exporting the locations shoudn't be difficult, as the locations are stored in SQL server with lat, long. I just need to see the format for waypoints. I assume a csv type layout is used?

Adding a table to store an amount spent would be pretty easy as well. We can work something out down the line for sure.

The hard part will be getting one location in for each business, and making sure the users can easily find and add data for a particular business instead of erroneously creating a new record for an existing business. I'll have to do some fuzzy matching on add to make sure it doesn't already exist. Google actually may help with this as they have that "did you mean [x]" if an address is off, etc.

IanB

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:

Sounds good! If you create such a tool it will be on the vaguninfo.com main page the next day.

Ideally there would be a way for users to add locations as well. Even if it's simple emailing someone (administrator) with the address and comments about the place that would work.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've already got a simple add business method, but it depends on the user getting the address right for now, so it's less than ideal.

I'm working on using the built in google "search local" tool to get the right address and add a business in one click.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK, I've put what I have so far online at http://friendorfoe.thesecond.us

I disabled adding new locations until I can work out a better method, so there are only 3 items in the database for now. I'm basically testing the google maps api out and deciding which way is best to display the info.

Just click the Go button and you can see the items in there so far. The directions are based on whatever you type in the address box, so you'll have to edit that if you want to get an accurate direction list. It just opens a new window with google maps directions in it. None of the address info is saved, of course.

I'll try and get the add new business page up this weekend, but it's going to be a busy one for me already.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
OK, I've put what I have so far online at http://friendorfoe.thesecond.us

I disabled adding new locations until I can work out a better method, so there are only 3 items in the database for now. I'm basically testing the google maps api out and deciding which way is best to display the info.

Just click the Go button and you can see the items in there so far. The directions are based on whatever you type in the address box, so you'll have to edit that if you want to get an accurate direction list. It just opens a new window with google maps directions in it. None of the address info is saved, of course.

I'll try and get the add new business page up this weekend, but it's going to be a busy one for me already.
I clicked GO and got only one location. Tried putting Alexandria, with no result.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

While testing I deleted two businesses, making my statement above innacurate, sorry.

The plan is to let users add businesses they frequent while OCing and rate the experience as good or bad. I'm almost done with the add screen, but I've got a full plate this weekend so I'm not sure if I'll get to it.

When done, you'll be able to add a business by centering/zooming the map to the approximate location (by entering a city,state, zip, etc. and then using the map controls). Once you find a business, it will be a few clicks to add it with a rating/experience description.

Then, the business will show up as either pro or anti when you search the area. None show up for Alexandria yet because none have been added.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Oh sure, there will be a neutral rating.  I was thinking about using a 3 or 5 level rating system (good, neutral, bad or very good, good, neutral, bad, very bad). Don't know that a 5 level system is really necessary, although I wanted negative reviews to be weighted more than the positives, so businesses would have to work hard to keep their good rating/make up for a bad one.  Something like +1 for neutral (as neutral is still good in my book), +2 for good, and -3 for a bad rating.

After some reviews get posted, I'll adjust the formula if necessary to make the output useful.

Ideas and advice are definitely appreciated.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK, it's online and I've added the Add Business page.

You should be able to add a business and a review (I'll double check how long the review text can be and modify if necessary).

Once added, you should see the businesses when searching the area on the main page.

http://friendorfoe.thesecond.us

Feedback welcome.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I realized I left in some default values for the rating and experience...so the ones that added items the businesses were in OK, but the rating info was entered as my testing info.

If you want to re-rate the business, it will save what you enter now, and it will display it on the main page.

The last bits to do are make it look a little nicer, and then remember your last searched location on subsequent visits. After that I think it will be ready for publicizing.

What say you?