• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Defense of the Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia

grumpycoconut

imported post

I've always enjoyed reading of all of the evils of California on this and other gun sites. To hear most posters say it one would think that California is a police/nanny state intent on bubble wrapping it's subjects so as to keep them from getting booboos. Now I'll grant you that some of our politicians are pinko commie hoplophobes, and that our property prices are beyond rational comprehension and that some of our gun laws are just plain silly but on the whole we've got it pretty good. I can still buy most any gun I want. I might have to wait a bit and my AR might have to have a funny looking pistol grip but I can still buy it. I canlegally openly carry a piece without getting permission even if I do have to carry it unloaded. If I want to be a skulker and carry concealed, all I have to do is move to a different county where the benevolent overlords are less uptight and get a permit. Even our silly and overly restrictive gun laws are likely to be loosened up in the near future. On the whole I have greater freedom here than in most other states.

I laugh when I hear of some states that consider 80mph reckless driving and an arrestable offense. 80mph is just 2 or 3 mph faster than a good commuting speed through down town Los Angeles when the traffic density permits. Even 100mph is an arrestable offense only if the cop doesn't have anything better to do. -The "right to work" in Cali includes the right to band together with my coworkers and bargain collectively and to have significant legalprotections rather than depending on my employers generosity. -Lane splitting and filtering on a motorcycle is not only legal but considered good motoring manners here. In some states it's a crime and likely to get me run into a ditch by some grumpy redneck. -The thought that it's illegal in some states to bugger my wife in the privacy of my own bedroom tickles me pink. Komifornia lets me put in or take out just about anything or anyone from my body as long at the other party doesn't mind too much. -I can even smoke a bit of weed if I want without it being more than an infraction (fine only, no jail time). I once jacked up a50 year old Texan for smoking weed in his car in a park.I couldn't understand why he was crying and acting like he was going to prison over such a minor thing until he toldme that the1/2 roach he had left over in his ashtray was enough to get him a Texas prison term. I felt so bad for him that I almost hugged him before I stomped his roach into the gutter and sent him away without so much as a ticket. -On top of all that I've never once had to shovel snow. -Most importantly of all, unlike 99.9% of the population, I can surf in the morning and ride my horse through townin the afternoon.

All things considered, I think I'll stay here on the left coast.

darthmord

imported post

Hey, if all the crazy on the left coast works for you, then by all means enjoy it and tell everyone else to buzz off. :lol:

I'm a big proponent of use/do what works for you and your situation. There is no such thing as 'The one and only true answer'.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Have you considered being a magazineor newspaper columnist? You're an excellent writer and very entertaining to read. Seems like wasted talent.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
Thank you, Grumpy, for the positive perspective, it definitely relieves some of my self-hate for not moving to Arizona.
Just here to remind you of residual self-hate... But that's OK... Kommieforniaprovides endless politicalentertainment along with frequent amusing touristencounters.

Overtaxed

imported post

Grumpy,

Nice perspective on Cali.
I've always enjoyed visiting the place... awesome scenery, esp. the Bay Area
and those magnificent deserts.
Gun laws there are kinda kooky, but gun ownership is still a lot easier there than where I live on the East Coast (permit required just to own a handgun that stays locked up at home! wtf!).
Definitely a stronger "gun culture" there than where I'm from, too - even in the Bay Area.

grumpycoconut

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Have you considered being a magazineor newspaper columnist? You're an excellent writer and very entertaining to read. Seems like wasted talent.
Thank You. Never thought of it but if you know anyone who needs any writing done and pays in cash I'll prostitute myself.

prcE6

imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
...I'll prostitute myself.

Yet another perfectly legal thing to do here in the Golden State.

Wait... it's not???:what:

Huck

imported post

By all means stay there if it's what you like. I was born and raised in Kalifornistan but grew to where i could'nt stand the damn place and moved to God's Country (Wyoming) when I retired and I dont miss Kali at all. I'd rather shovel snow for 4 months of the year than put up with Kali's insanity.

Your reference to a grumpy redneck reminds me of another reason I cant stand the place; the self righteous bigotry of the liberals that infest the place.

compmanio365

imported post

Huck wrote:
By all means stay there if it's what you like. I was born and raised in Kalifornistan but grew to where i could'nt stand the damn place and moved to God's Country (Wyoming) when I retired and I dont miss Kali at all. I'd rather shovel snow for 4 months of the year than put up with Kali's insanity.

Your reference to a grumpy redneck reminds me of another reason I cant stand the place; the self righteous bigotry of the liberals that infest the place.

+1

Sonora Rebel

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Huck wrote:

+1
+2 minus the snow.

grumpycoconut

imported post

Huck wrote:
Don't worry. I'm fully in touch with my inner bigot. I hate dirty footed slacker hippies as much as I hate grumpy rednecks. The only thing better about dirty footed slacker hippies is that they are usually too stoned to want to run me into a ditch for lane splitting.