• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is anyone else having a hard time finding .45 ACP FMJ ammo?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Off Topic, but of interest.

Just a quick note on Sportsman's Warehouse. Stu Utgaard, the owner/CEO had a total of 67 stores as of 3-9-09. Due to opening too many too quickly, the company was unable to get product on credit. As of 11:00 am Tuesday 3-10-09, 23 stores will be closed within the next 30-60 days.All of the Washington stores except Vancouver, all the Idaho stores, except Pocatello and Nampa, and all the Montana stores except Billings, and the Bend Oregon store were bought by a Canadian corporation (UFA), and will continue business. UFA has bought license to use the SW name for 2 years after which it will be renamed. The new name may happen at any time prior to that.

With the new ownership, there will be a much better supply of product as well as new items.

The remaining 29 stores will stay under the SW umbrella, and continue operation.

I can provide a list of closing stores by PM.
So I should direct grumpy customer service complaints to UFA then for Lacey?

just_a_car

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
All of the Washington stores except Vancouver, all the Idaho stores, except Pocatello and Nampa, and all the Montana stores except Billings, and the Bend Oregon store were bought by a Canadian corporation (UFA), and will continue business.
Can't say that's promising... At least SW had sensible rules regarding firearms. I worry what a Canuck company will impose. (Being half-Canuck myself, I've looked into their laws and some of it's draconian, yet at least they can still own them)

Trigger Dr

imported post

The Canadian laws do not apply in the USA. UFA already owns a sporting goods company and according to their corporate rep, who was in the store Thursday am, we will continue to do business with the same product only with more of it. They are committed to provide a better and bigger venue.

joeroket

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
The Canadian laws do not apply in the USA. UFA already owns a sporting goods company and according to their corporate rep, who was in the store Thursday am, we will continue to do business with the same product only with more of it. They are committed to provide a better and bigger venue.
But how will the change affect the policies of firearms?

Mainsail

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Off Topic, but of interest.

Just a quick note on Sportsman's Warehouse. Stu Utgaard, the owner/CEO had a total of 67 stores as of 3-9-09. Due to opening too many too quickly, the company was unable to get product on credit. As of 11:00 am Tuesday 3-10-09, 23 stores will be closed within the next 30-60 days.All of the Washington stores except Vancouver, all the Idaho stores, except Pocatello and Nampa, and all the Montana stores except Billings, and the Bend Oregon store were bought by a Canadian corporation (UFA), and will continue business. UFA has bought license to use the SW name for 2 years after which it will be renamed. The new name may happen at any time prior to that.

With the new ownership, there will be a much better supply of product as well as new items.

The remaining 29 stores will stay under the SW umbrella, and continue operation.

I can provide a list of closing stores by PM.

From their website

News
March 10, 2009

Stuart Utgaard, the Chairman and CEO of Sportsman's Warehouse Holdings, today announced that the company is taking two major actions to improve liquidity.

1. 23 stores are being liquidated to reduce bank debt. .
• Aurora, CO
• Coon Rapids, MN
• DePere, WI
• Henderson, NV
• Lafayette, IN
• Las Cruces, NM
• Las Vegas, NV
• Legacy, TX
• Memphis, TN
• Nampa, ID
• New Berlin, WI
• Oklahoma City, OK
• Pittsburgh, PA
• Pocatello, ID
• Roanoke, VA
• Rogers, AR
• Round Rock, TX
• St. Cloud, MN
• Sioux Falls, SD
• Southaven, MS
• Visalia, CA
• Wichita, KS
• Woodbury, MN

2. 15 stores are being sold to UFA Co-op.
• Bend, OR
• Bozeman, MT
• Burlington, WA
• Coeur d’Alene, ID
• Fargo, ND
• Federal Way, WA
• Helena, MT
• Kennewick, WA
• Lacey, WA
• Missoula, MT
• Portland, OR
• Salem, OR
• Silverdale, WA
• Spokane, WA
• Vancouver, WA

It is hoped that these actions will enable the firm to go forward as a viable entity with approximately 2,300 employees. Sportsman's Warehouse is a leading outdoor retailer of sporting goods headquartered in Midvale, Utah.

About Sportsmans' Warehouse

Our simple mission is to live up to our reputation as the "Great Indoors for those who love the Great Outdoors™". Sportsman’s Warehouse was founded under the idea of serving the outdoor enthusiast exclusively. That’s why you’ll find everything you’re looking for right here under one roof. Whether it’s for fishing, hunting, camping or any other outdoor pursuit, we’ve got it all.

But more than just top name brand products, Sportsman’s Warehouse is known for our expert and knowledgeable staff. We are an organization of hunters, fishermen, and outdoor enthusiasts—a proud part of America’s outdoor traditions. Our employees not only have a passion for the great outdoors but they also offer intimate knowledge of products and the local know-how to help make your outdoor pursuits more successful and enjoyable.

Stu Utgaard

About UFA Co-operative Limited

UFA Co-operative Limited is one of Alberta's most dynamic enterprises. Canada's largest re-seller of diesel products serves rural communities throughout Alberta, B.C. and Saskatchewan with a construction division and an unmatched network of retail stores and petroleum outlets. With more than $1.8 billion in annual revenues and 120,000 active members, UFA is one of Canada's most successful co-operatives.

EDIT: Wait, I see them now, listed out of order. Wow! As long as they stay around to compete we all win.

Cougar125

imported post

Just before I left WA state, Wally World in Oak Harbor got in 6 cases of winchester white box (100 count) and I bought 4 boxes. A couple days later they had 9mm so I bought 4 boxes of it too. Now its sitting at the MCRD armory waiting for the weekend so I can take it out and shoot it. ;)

Richard6218

imported post

spike89 wrote:
MadHatter66 wrote:
Everywhere else, including the Sportsmans Warehouse is out.

I don't think Sportsmans in Silverdale has restocked anything gun-related in over 2 years (besides guns). The cleaning supply selection is abysmal, much like the personal defense ammo shelves. They don't even have Breakfree CLP any more.
Breakfree is hard to find now for whatever reason is beyond me. I did find it online at Brownell's but the 12-oz spray can is sold out --- only 4 oz. is available.

I buy most of my ammo online just because I don't want to go traipsing all over the planet looking for something that may not be there. Cabela's has a pretty good stock but some brands are sold out/back-ordered. Winchester 230 gr. ACPis all but impossible almost everywhere. I settled for MagTech Blueline in .45ACP but the price was $.4398/round. Same price for American Eagle but it's sold out. Cabella's had S&B in .40S&W at $18.99/50 = $.3798. +P ammo seems to be like hen's teeth but Cabela's had some in .45ACP and I grabbed a single box at $25.99.

There are two factors affecting the prices of this stuff. Probably the biggest single item is the price of brass and copper. We've all heard of the druggies who steal copper wire to feed their habits --- all part of the same thing. Another is the demand by the military, simply consuming large quantities of it. And there's another wrinkle that just hit the wires ina report by Dudley Brown of NAGR (National Association for Gun Rights) claiming that the administration has ordered that the military not re-cycle their brass, and to dispose of it after being fired only once. Although I think Brown is something of an alarmist, he does make a lot of valid points. This claim about the brass is totally un-verified but if true would definitely have an impact on the price of ammo on the market.

just_a_car

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
There are two factors affecting the prices of this stuff. Probably the biggest single item is the price of brass and copper. We've all heard of the druggies who steal copper wire to feed their habits --- all part of the same thing.
The above is total Bull. The prices of metals have fallen drastically along with the economy. Yes, they did rise, but as soon as the economy started to drop, so too did the price of metals, yet the price of ammo still rose.

Another is the demand by the military, simply consuming large quantities of it.
Sure, but why didn't it go up much between 2001 and 2003? Because that's not really a factor, just more BS to make an excuse to raise prices.

And there's another wrinkle that just hit the wires in a report by Dudley Brown of NAGR (National Association for Gun Rights) claiming that the administration has ordered that the military not re-cycle their brass, and to dispose of it after being fired only once. Although I think Brown is something of an alarmist, he does make a lot of valid points. This claim about the brass is totally un-verified but if true would definitely have an impact on the price of ammo on the market.
Actually, that has been verified. Here's a thread regarding it on G&G: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/powder-keg/74692-obama-makes-his-mark-ammunition-sales.html Note the link to original story and confirmation from someone that contacted their congress-critter.

Edit: I'm receiving info from email newsgroups that Senator Tester of Montana demanded the DOD rescind the order and the he's received word that it IS rescinded. Perhaps even that sudden worry of no more mil-surp brass is now no more.