• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is anyone else having a hard time finding .45 ACP FMJ ammo?

quentusrex

imported post

All the walmarts from just north of Marysville(Everett) down to Olympia seem to be totally out of .45 ammo. Also most of the local gun shops along the I-5 route, and most online retailers are backordered....

Anyone know where to find ammo?

Vandal

imported post

I think the better question addressed nationwide is this. Who isn't having trouble finding .45 FMJ ammo? The answer to that is the reloaders, all of whom I hate for having .45acp readily available.

I wish I knew where it all went. I am not believing the excuse of "People are just buying it all up." that I keep hearing from wal-mart and the other sporting goods stores. Right before and for a little while after the election I understood that everyone and their grandmas were buying guns and ammo, but this is ridiculous, it is 4 months after the election and we are still short of ammo nationwide. I haven't seen an EBR in the shops I frequent in Idaho since October.

I would not be surprised if the manufacturers cut production back to drive up demand and thus bump up costs.

tat2ed_guy

imported post

At least you guys can shoot if so desired. Taurus still has mine 24/7 and still needs more time.

I have a box of 100 .45acp just sitting there wanting to go for a run. :cuss:

heresolong

imported post

Vandal wrote:
I would not be surprised if the manufacturers cut production back to drive up demand and thus bump up costs.
Have costs gone up or has supply just dropped?

The problem with this theory is that if one manufacturer cuts production and raises their prices then the others just sell more ammo. That theory assumes that the manufacturers all get together to discuss and set production levels. All it takes in reality is for one to go ahead and do what they want and the whole scheme breaks down. The reality of life is that absent government interference in the marketplace, most changes in price and/or supply are driven by the laws of supply and demand.

Vandal

imported post

With pricing going up over the past few years, mainly in the last 6 months and the availability of ammo decreasing ti would make sense. I am not in any way asking for gov't regulation, that never leads to anything good. It is the joys of the market.

MadHatter66

imported post

There is only one place in Kitsap right now that even has .45ACP and that is Bohrners (sp?) in Gorst. Everywhere else, including the Sportsmans Warehouse is out. When I called around other gun shops in the area, they all said the same thing, that the cannot keep it in stock. Just bought a .40 today, so I am a little less hard pressed to find ball ammo. I cannot personal defense ammo anywhere local though, unless you want it in some of the more odd sizes. :banghead:

heresolong

imported post

Vandal wrote:
With pricing going up over the past few years, mainly in the last 6 months and the availability of ammo decreasing ti would make sense. I am not in any way asking for gov't regulation, that never leads to anything good. It is the joys of the market.
Although I think that if pricing went up it was due to increased fuel costs (read manufacturing and delivery) and the increased price of raw materials. I think I read somewhere that the cost of lead to make your own bullets was going up also. That isn't an issue with manufacturers, but availability of a raw material, plus the cost of getting it to market.

G27

imported post

There is only one place in Kitsap right now that even has .45ACP and that is Bohrners (sp?) in Gorst. Everywhere else, including the Sportsmans Warehouse is out. When I called around other gun shops in the area, they all said the same thing, that the cannot keep it in stock. Just bought a .40 today, so I am a little less hard pressed to find ball ammo. I cannot personal defense ammo anywhere local though, unless you want it in some of the more odd sizes. :banghead:

Mhm. I thought they closed down? I drove by the other day and their sign was down and it looked pretty vacant inside. Did they move or do I just need my eyes checked? :D

MadHatter66

imported post

G27 wrote:

Mhm. I thought they closed down? I drove by the other day and their sign was down and it looked pretty vacant inside. Did they move or do I just need my eyes checked? :D
The actually moved...they are up across from the fire station, in the same building as the smoke shop. Its a nice building, and nice new store. MUCH EASIER to get in and out of, especially if you are headed to Bremerton.

kenshin

imported post

MadHatter66 wrote:
G27 wrote:

The actually moved...they are up across from the fire station, in the same building as the smoke shop. Its a nice building, and nice new store. MUCH EASIER to get in and out of, especially if you are headed to Bremerton.
No wonder I couldn't find them. I drove past the other day and was going to stop by to see if by some miracle they had some .45 and/or .38 but I saw the sign was down and figured they had suffered the same fate as so many other businesses lately. :banghead:

MadHatter66

imported post

kenshin wrote:
MadHatter66 wrote:
G27 wrote:

The actually moved...they are up across from the fire station, in the same building as the smoke shop.  Its a nice building, and nice new store.  MUCH EASIER to get in and out of, especially if you are headed to Bremerton.
No wonder I couldn't find them. I drove past the other day and was going to stop by to see if by some miracle they had some .45 and/or .38 but I saw the sign was down and figured they had suffered the same fate as so many other businesses lately. :banghead:

I was there a few days ago and they had quite a few boxes... Its Speer Lawman FMJ, and 19.99 a box... I think they might have .38 as well, but I don't have a .38 so I tend not to notice it as much ;)

Their new store is pretty nice, definitely a lot brighter and cleaner inside, but its almost exactly the same as it used to be... Just in a different place.

colt45ws

imported post

I cannot find any 9mm anywhere as well. I saw in the Walmart had 3 or 4 boxes WWB so I decide to get it a few hours later and its all gone. Im down to my last 16 rounds of JHP as well.

spike89

imported post

MadHatter66 wrote:
Everywhere else, including the Sportsmans Warehouse is out.

I don't think Sportsmans in Silverdale has restocked anything gun-related in over 2 years (besides guns). The cleaning supply selection is abysmal, much like the personal defense ammo shelves. They don't even have Breakfree CLP any more.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Off Topic, but of interest.

Just a quick note on Sportsman's Warehouse. Stu Utgaard, the owner/CEO had a total of 67 stores as of 3-9-09. Due to opening too many too quickly, the company was unable to get product on credit. As of 11:00 am Tuesday 3-10-09, 23 stores will be closed within the next 30-60 days.All of the Washington stores except Vancouver, all the Idaho stores, except Pocatello and Nampa, and all the Montana stores except Billings, and the Bend Oregon store were bought by a Canadian corporation (UFA), and will continue business. UFA has bought license to use the SW name for 2 years after which it will be renamed. The new name may happen at any time prior to that.

With the new ownership, there will be a much better supply of product as well as new items.

The remaining 29 stores will stay under the SW umbrella, and continue operation.

I can provide a list of closing stores by PM.

samaloney2006

imported post

:XA friend of mine was up to Kesselrings gun shop about a week or so ago. He said they soldout, shop empty, everything gone. Might try a call and see what you find out. :cuss:

surfj9009

imported post

The SW here in Spokane has been sickly dismal on the shelves, especially reloading stuff.

This is the reason that I finally bought all my casting stuff.