• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2S SB78 and 1S HB 357 have both now PASSED!!!!

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Hoooyaaaa! I love seeing some good news for once! These changes and newly-acquired freedoms are a really great victory for gun owners in Utah. I love this place!!!! We will definitely be remembering our pro-gun rights representatives come election time. :) Awesome!

Kevin

scorpioajr

imported post

:monkey:monkey:monkey
This is seriously a pretty freakin' sweet law.
I hate it that the people i speak to about it automatically assume there are going to be shootouts on I-15 now...

I'll assume Gloveboxes, and consoles are still off limits??

swjr

imported post

:):):):)It's about time legislation is passed to support our gun rights! :):):):)

LovesHisXD45

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
I hate it that the people i speak to about it automatically assume there are going to be shootouts on I-15 now...

Nope, you can put it loaded in your box now and you will be just fine, at least that is what I got from the language of the law. It allows you to conceal the firearm in the car and in your own private residence or business without a permit. If I'm wrong, somebody better correct me quickly. :)

Kevin

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

Wow, good question. This new law allows for concealment in your vehicle, but another one says no-no to the glove box.

Better ask Mitch Vilos about this one!

scorpioajr

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

Nope, you can put it loaded in your box now and you will be just fine, at least that is what I got from the language of the law. It allows you to conceal the firearm in the car and in your own private residence or business without a permit. If I'm wrong, somebody better correct me quickly. :)

Kevin
All said and done:
I'm just happy i can OC and not have to throw my gun off my hip onto my seat, dash, or in otherwise 'plain view', when i get into my truck now. Yay.

swjr

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

Wow, good question. This new law allows for concealment in your vehicle, but another one says no-no to the glove box.

Better ask Mitch Vilos about this one!

I think we are OK on the glove box/console now. If I remember correctly the reason it was a "no-no" was because of the definition of securely encased. Per the new law that does not apply anymore.
76-10-504. Carrying concealed dangerous weapon -- Penalties.
34 (1) Except as provided in Section 76-10-503 and in Subsections (2) [and], (3)[: (a)] and
35 (4), a person who carries a concealed dangerous weapon, as defined in Section 76-10-501 ,
36 [which is not a] including an unloaded firearm on his or her person or one that is readily
37 accessible for immediate use which is not securely encased, as defined in this part, in or on a
38 place other than [his] the person's residence, property, a vehicle in the person's lawful
39 possession, or a vehicle, with the consent of the individual who is lawfully in possession of the
40 vehicle, or business under [his] the person's control is guilty of a class B misdemeanor
(bolding added)

I interpret this to mean that as long as it's your vehicle as much as it no longer needs to be unloaded it also no longer needs to be securely encased.

combatcarry

imported post

I'm happy these passed... If I were 18 and couldn't yet get a CCW I'd be extremely happy....

If I were a criminal looking to victimize an 18 year old..... :uhoh:

rpyne

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
The only place where glove boxes and consoles are mentioned is as part of the definition of "securely encased":

http://www.livepublish.le.state.ut....12e6b&cid=Utcoden&t=document-frame.htm&2.0&p=
76-10-501. Definitions.

(18) "Securely encased" means not readily accessible for immediate use, such as held in a gun rack, or in a closed case or container, whether or not locked, or in a trunk or other storage area of a motor vehicle, not including a glove box or console box.
So, no, they are not off limits under this change in the law since it says nothing about requiring them to be "securely encased".

Note: IANAL - YMMV

scorpioajr

imported post

SO sum up:

One can conceal in a glove box, console, or anywhere in the vehicle- a loaded handgun, regardless of having a CFP or not, while in my vehicle OR in another vehicle, not my own, with the permission of the vehicles owner. Correct?

rpyne

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
SO sum up:

One can conceal in a glove box, console, or anywhere in the vehicle- a loaded handgun, regardless of having a CFP or not, while in my vehicle OR in another vehicle, not my own, with the permission of the vehicles owner. Correct?
That pretty much covers it, of course with the limitations that you are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm and are not under 18.

rightsreserved

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
rightsreserved wrote:
How long until LEO's catch on to this change?:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
Don't matter. Its the law as of May 11, 2009.

It will be the law but you know this chat board is peppered with threads of confrontations with LE that are ignorant of the law.

Which is funny because you'll never get out of a ticket for being ignorant of the law.:banghead:

scorpioajr

imported post

rightsreserved wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
rightsreserved wrote:
How long until LEO's catch on to this change?:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
Don't matter. Its the law as of May 11, 2009.

It will be the law but you know this chat board is peppered with threads of confrontations with LE that are ignorant of the law.

Which is funny because you'll never get out of a ticket for being ignorant of the law.:banghead:
Me being ignorant to the laws or the LE? Which party are you assuming ignorance for? Giving or getting the ticket?

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Let us not also forget HB 25 that passed early in the session. It reduces penalties for gun dealers who make minor paperwork errors to the levels used by the feds.

That makes 3 solidly good pro-RKBA bills this year.

SB 28 restricts gun possession for 5 years by gang members convicted of certain misdemeanor crimes. Probably not something I'd have written, but I won't lose much sleep over it and consider it neutral.

I'm unaware of any overtly bad gun bills passing and think we may have also avoided any "felony creep" bills this year.

A very good year and we all need to make sure to thank the sponsors--Sen Madsen, Rep Oda, Rep Sandstrom--co-sponsors, and current leadership for getting these bills passed while not passing any bad bills.

Might want to let the Governor's office know we want these bills to become laws.

Charles

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

rpyne wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
SO sum up:

That pretty much covers it, of course with the limitations that you are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm and are not under 18.

I thinkI wil concur. After reading it a hundred times, it sounds pretty cut and dry.

Also,I would like to echo Charles, and ask that we thank our Senators and Representatives for a fine session with regards to RKBA!

UNLESS!... Your Senators are Jones, McCoy, Robles or Romero. Then you may wantthank them for nothing.

Also, here are your representatives that may or may not deverve a "You have some splanin' to do!"

Biskupski, Hemingway, Litvack, Riesen, Chavez-Houck, Johnson, McIff, Seelig, Gowans, King and Moss.

rightsreserved

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
rightsreserved wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
rightsreserved wrote:
Me being ignorant to the laws or the LE? Which party are you assuming ignorance for? Giving or getting the ticket?
You for instance if there was a law that all north bound pedestrians must walk backwards and you were ticketed for not doing so you could not go to court and plead not guitly by reason of ignorance