• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Urgent need for information for Declaratory Judgement case

JUMPMASTER

imported post

Today Judge Cohn has requested from Attorney Baird any and all information relating to corespondce to the Department of Public Safety regarding conclealed/open carry. If you have ever sent emails and /or letters to the Department of Public Safety, State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit regarding the laws pertaining to open carry of firearms and/or places that you are prohibited from carrying firearms please submit documentation and any replys to Attorney Rachel Baird. The judge is giving her two weeks so please act swiftly.

Please send all information to Mr.Peruta. His contact information islisted below.

Edward Peruta

imported post

To all who read this request for informaton,

Attorney Baird is extremely busy and will NOT be able to handle the addtional calls that may be generated.

AS CONNECTICUT PERMIT HOLDERS, WE ARE EXTREMELY FORTUNATETO HAVE ATTORNEY RACHEL BAIRD INVOLVED IN THESE ISSUES. WITHOUTHER EXPERTISE, DEDICATION AND TIME SPENT ON THESE ISSUES, WE WOULD NOT BE WHERE WE ARE TODAY ON THE RIGHT TO CARRY OPENLY AND NOT GET ARRESTEDIN THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT.

Please send email to edperuta@amcable.tv if you have any documents. I willbe coordinating and doing the leg work on the collection of documentsso Attorney Baird mayconcentrate on priority legal issues.

As gun owners, permit holders, concerned citizens and civil rights advocates, we cannot expect Attorney Baird to carry the load alone in these cases.

YOUR COOPERATION AND UNDERSTANDING IN THIS MATTER IS GREATLY APPREICIATED.

Hawk19

imported post

Newby here who has been following some of what is going on. The following link has some really useful info by the State of CT. Frankly I am really amazed that there is really any question about the legitimacy of open or concealed carry in CT. I was fortunate enough to take my required training for my permit from a very pro gun CT State Trooper who is very well versed in the state laws. The following is a link that many may find interesting

http://www.jud.state.ct.us/lawlib/law/firearms.htm

Hawk19

imported post

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am new here and not knowing people who frequent this board, I am a little reluctant to mention names. If there is a way to IM or email then I would let you know personally. Also, next time you talk to uskrusader, he can let you know who he is. I am a reasonably experienced shooter and our class had all experience levels and he taught to all of us. One of the more useful aspects of the class to me was the discussion of the laws of CT. From his perspective as a State Trooper, if he was approaching someone carrying a pistol, open or concealed (but identifiable) would be a heightened sense of awareness on his part. Depending on the circumstances he may or may not ask if the individual has a permit to carry. He was very open with the discussion of where he thought it was both legal and illegal to carry and where it was prudent and maybe not prudent to carry. His knowledge of the law versus opinion is very good in my mind. To anyone wishing to read up on the laws and interpretations of the laws themselves, I would refer them to the following sites. Most everyone here is probably aware of them, but I have yet had the chance to go through this site extensively, so if these are a repeat, I apologize.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/rpt/2005-R-0451.htm

http://www.jud.state.ct.us/lawlib/law/firearms.htm

Edward Peruta

imported post

I am aware that some instructors are VERY familiar with the laws in Connecticut regarding firearms.

Last year, I asked a member of the legislature to ask for research on nine topics, and this is the OLR that was generated at her request.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0238.htm

I have done extensive research on firearms law in Connecticut and have found that MANY members of law enforcement ARE NOT familiar with the laws.

Regardless of what happens, the issue MAY be cleared up by a Judge ruling on what is and what is not permissible.

I await the decision of the Judge, and will abide by whatever he or any appellet court decides.

I just want to hear it from the courts.

Ed Peruta

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hawk19 wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but I am new here and not knowing people who frequent this board, I am a little reluctant to mention names...
Welcome!!

If you have something you want to share in private, may I suggest you send a PM to Ed Peruta? Click on his name, and then on "Send a Private Message".

Edward Peruta

imported post

The time frame is not cast in stone.

The Judge asked that the information he requested be submitted in two weeks.

I would imagine that there could be another hearing to take testimony and evidence on the issues.

My best bet, 90 days out, my worst bet is unknown.

Ed Peruta

Edward Peruta

imported post

I have been asked to submit documentation regarding attempts to get a clear answer on concealment by permit holders, and put together a series of documents that may be presented.

The list is located at www.ourrockyhill.com and includes three media files and a long list of PDF files.

There are many more, but these should be more than enough to document the fact that I have tried to get an answer.

Here is a direct link to the items:

http://www.ourrockyhill.com/Declaratory%20Files%20for%20Judge.htm