• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynnhaven Mall

Zero4910

imported post

Yesterday (11 Mar) I went to the Lynnhaven mall to enjoy some Cold Stone with my girlfriend and I had my usual carry, my Glock 21. While walking through the mall to get to the food court, an employee from Alltel tried to stop me by saying, "Hey you". I thought he wanted to sell me a phone so I just kept walking. Just as I sat down to eat my ice cream, the same employee tapped me on my shoulder and said that weapons were not allowed in the mall. I told him that I looked on the door I came in at and saw no posting that stated weapons were banned. I had entered though the Barns & Noble bookstore.

After he left, I went back to check again while my girlfriend was in a store trying on clothes. Again, I saw nothing. Near the B&N there is a customer service table so I told them that I saw no posting about weapons and asked them if OCing was allowed. The man (should say kid because he looked about 17) said it was not allowed.

I said "OK" and then I went to my car and put my carry in my trunk.

I'm all well and good with not carrying IF ITS POSTED. This is just for others to be aware that someone there might stop/talk to you about it.

I think until they post it on all doors, I'm going to continue to carry there. Next time, if they have a problem, they can bring a security guard to me and he can ask me to leave.

I guess they only want victims to shop there...:?

wylde007

imported post

If it's not posted and I'm not sure I CC, too.

Funny how we feel like we need more ammo in crime-spree zones, ain't it?

:?

LEO 229

imported post

ed wrote:
Pushing them will force them to post signs and make it so those that wanna CC be banned from doing so.
Agreed.

At the moment there is no sign so all who enter and not get seen are good to go.

ballester

imported post

im agree...and to all those that read this.....even if there is a no firearms allowed...i follow the rule that says i have a legal right to be some place and shop there...im sorry but sometimes i feel it might be better to be labaled a criminal than a casualty.....i jsut dont get it....my rule..no metal detecters...and if they can find it.....im sorry again..but unless i see a marked police car outside the place i chose to spend my money...then i might feel safer...if not...then i take my life and my families and also the innocents into my hands....i know that it goes against the rules...but darn it...the rules are not there to help protect us...only help keep insurence costs down for the business...again I stress...IMHO...IMHO....so there...its a shame the rules might/maybe/could force use to be criminals just to live another day on this Earth...i try to follow them 100% of the time...and to any trolls...well i do follow them 100% of the time....sometimes every once in awile i wish it was 1880 something...then there would not be an issue to OC/CC anywhere....GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES...

sorry if i offened anyone..

vbnative73

imported post

At Lynnhaven Mall, IT IS posted. However, it is only posted at the mall entrances. If you enter by way of one of the big 'anchor' stores, that sign is not there. So, if you want to carry there, CC and enter through one of the anchor stores so you can honestly say that there was no sign where you came in. If you carry past the sign, you are automatically trespassing. If you come in the other doors I mentioned, then they have to ask you to leave and you have to refuse in order to be guilty of trespassing.

I agree, don't mention signs if they don't. Just comply with their direction to leave.

TFred

imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
At Lynnhaven Mall, IT IS posted. However, it is only posted at the mall entrances. If you enter by way of one of the big 'anchor' stores, that sign is not there. So, if you want to carry there, CC and enter through one of the anchor stores so you can honestly say that there was no sign where you came in. If you carry past the sign, you are automatically trespassing. If you come in the other doors I mentioned, then they have to ask you to leave and you have to refuse in order to be guilty of trespassing.

I agree, don't mention signs if they don't. Just comply with their direction to leave.
This particular assertion has been widely discussed in other threads here in the Virginia forum. It is not universally accepted that your statement is correct, namely that mere presence of a sign meets the standard for notification with respect to Virginia trespassing laws.

Just wanted to let new folks know this is not a cut and dried issue.

TFred

darthmord

imported post

Yep, not all entrances are posted. The last time I used the entrance with the carosseul (however you spell it), it was NOT posted.

Plus the way the wording goes on some of the signs that ARE posted... makes you wonder. The sign by the theater says 'No firearms and no illegal weapons'

Another sign says 'No illegal weapons or firearms'.

The problem is, the signs CAN be interpreted differently.

Also, Lynnhaven Mall is no longer managed by Simon Properties. The doors have a new management company listed (don't remember the name).

But yes as others have mentioned, I CC there and use an entrance without a posting.

Joed757

imported post

Well I will not enter the side doors and ruin it for fellow brother because I must OC i just want go in OC'ing and start anything about signs not being on the doors that will mess it up for the CC.I can wait a few months. My question is this all Hampton Roads malls? I went into MacAuther a while ago for maybe 10 or 15 mins and had no problem but didnt know.

wylde007

imported post

They are all managed by different companies, so each one may be different.

The only time I go to MacArthur is to park for a show at the Norva.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

TFred wrote:
vbnative73 wrote:

This particular assertion has been widely discussed in other threads here in the Virginia forum. It is not universally accepted that your statement is correct, namely that mere presence of a sign meets the standard for notification with respect to Virginia trespassing laws.

TFred
So if the mere presence of the sign doesn't meet the standard for notification when carrying what does??

Vegassteve

imported post

When will folks learn that asking a store clerk is not smart? and in a B&N no less. You really think they are going o tell you its ok? If the law is that it needs to be posted and its not then there is no need to ask.

TFred

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
TFred wrote:
vbnative73 wrote:

TFred
So if the mere presence of the sign doesn't meet the standard for notification when carrying what does??
IANAL.

If you search on this forum for "trespassing" I'm sure you will find several threads where it has been discussed almost ad nauseam.

One consensus is that in order to meet the notification requirement for trespassing in Virginia, someone with the proper authority to do so must actually notify you that you must leave. The reason behind this line of thought is basically since notification is a requirement, it cannot be proven that you read a sign, thus, it cannot be proven that you were notified. It is not a requirement to read all signs upon entering a place of business.

Something like that, and again, IANAL... There is much written here already, and much better than I have just summarized.

TFred