• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Amusing OC Encounter Today

ca2az96

imported post

I was at the gas station earlier today, and had an amusing encounter with a lady with California Plates on her car.

Lady: Is that thing real?

Me: Of course it is.

Lady: Are you a cop?

Me: No.

Lady: Then why are you carrying that thing?

Me: Well, I have three reasons. First, I am not strong enough to carry a Cop around on my shoulders all day long to protect me. Second, it is my Constitutional right to do so. And, last, I do so to educate others on our rights.

Lady: Well, I don't think you should be able to carry guns if you're not a cop.

Me: I am glad you're opinion is in the minority then. Tell me then, if we didn't have a right to bear arms in our defense, what's to stop ours or any other Government from taking away our other Constitutionally protected rights?

Lady: That's ridiculous. The Government will never take away my right to speak my mind.

Me: Actually they are taking away our rights at a record pace already. Have you heard of Free Speech Zones, Campaign Finance Reform, The Patriot Act, all the pending Gun Legislation in Congress, Checkpoints everywhere, and so on? Don't fool yourself Ma'am. We have what few rights we have left ONLY because we have the right to bear arms.

Lady: That's ridiculous. I don't believe any of that.

Me: (At this point, I find it pointless to further argue with someone who is mentally incompetent) Do all of us in Arizona a favor Ma'am, go back to California with all the other sheep, and leave us here in peace to live out our days in Freedom. Have a nice day. (I then walk away)

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Good on you!

I guess the woman's version of the Bill of Rights wasactually the Bill of Right, eh?

I wonder if the Jews who were forced togive up their arms in Nazi Germany felt as comfortable with the notion thatthe government would protect them?

I would have been tempted to give her my card, or ask for her contact information, but that's just me.

GWbiker

imported post

was at the gas station earlier today, and had an amusing encounter with a lady with California Plates on her car

That will take the edge off a good day. :banghead:

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

I am going to start a thread on www.ArizonaDefenseGroup.com that will be comebacks/responses for these stupid questions that people ask, I look forward to your feedback.

site_logo.png

curtm1911

imported post

Sometimes when I OCmy Redhawk, I swear I think some of the Out of Staters pee themselves. I say this because they vacate the area ASAP. Also, when they ask you why you carry, answer them with "Why Don't You", the looks you get sometimes just make your day, no pun intended Clint........lol

JesseL

imported post

I've only had one encounter with someone who was openly hostile to open carry. Walking around the Prescott courthouse square and older man asked me with an angry tone "Why do you need a gun to walk down the street?"

I looked him in the eye, said "In case I need to shoot something", and kept walking.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Sweet looking revolver, curt.

Does anyone ever have the opposite reaction when they see it? I.e., showing interest in it as a fellow gun owner. I know I probably would if I saw you.

curtm1911

imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
Sweet looking revolver, curt.

Does anyone ever have the opposite reaction when they see it? I.e., showing interest in it as a fellow gun owner. I know I probably would if I saw you.

Slayer of Paper:

Thank you for the compliment and yes I do get the other reaction, and it is quite refreshing to talk to them and maybe help guide them to into the Brotherhood of Firearms Ownership, unless they are already there, then it just gets into a wonderful discussion.............lol

me812

imported post

A while back, I was walking home from the store. Some woman pulled over and asked me something. I don't think she noticed at first that I was packing, but then, all of a sudden for no apparent reason, she sped off, squealing her tires like she saw Satan himself.

Anyway, I got a little further down the road and saw her car parked in a parking lot somewhere and there was a cop car there, too. The dipshit must've been a recent Commiefornia transplant who sped off because of my gun and then called 911 on me. :lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
SNIP Also, when they ask you why you carry, answer them with "Why Don't You", the looks you get sometimes just make your day, no pun intended Clint........lol

I usually do a version of this with inquisitive folks. Not as a combative tactic; but to reinforce the commonplace aspect.

Also, it puts you in the position of having the initiative and being the one who is doing the usual, while they are the one who is unusual.

At some early point in the exchange I just look them over and in a totally sincere, yet friendly way ask, "Where's yours?" Just like I might ask, "Where's your pen? I know you have one, everybody does."

People often start discussing reasons they don't carry.Which just gives more opportunity to promote carry to them.

If they have a tough-to-overcome reason, like employer won't let me, etc., I have asked, "I see. You keep a little something at home for protection at least, right?" The last fella I asked that said, "Oh, yes" in a way that would make any criminal think twice about visiting his house.

Michigander

imported post

My experience in the valley was that about 75% of people from Kali who reacted to my gun noticeably were not scared, just genuinely curious, so they would sometimes ask questions. But that minority does freak out, and I think it can be funny. Gotta be careful in a "flyover state".

I did have the cops called on me at least a couple times in AZ, because I saw odd looks from people, then later I'd see a cop talking to the person. But I never did have a cop talk to me as a result of a MWAG call. The odd thing, is that I've been open carrying almost daily in Michigan, and no one here has called the cops on me yet. You'd kind of expect it to be the other way around. :question:

AZkopper

imported post

JesseL wrote:
I've only had one encounter with someone who was openly hostile to open carry. Walking around the Prescott courthouse square and older man asked me with an angry tone "Why do you need a gun to walk down the street?"

I looked him in the eye, said "In case I need to shoot something", and kept walking.
I was at the Courthouse Plaza a few Saturday mornings ago, and saw no less than 5 people (not including me) open carrying within 2 hours. All 5 were at different times/places....so they were not together.

I think the anti's get so abrasive BECAUSE it is so normal here.

protector84

imported post

Something funny I encountered one time was when OCing at a coffee shop in Phoenix. As I was leaving a homeless man was approaching and about to ask for a dollar. He said, "Hey sir." to which I ingored him. He then saw the gun and said, "Hey, you a cop?" to which I continued to ignore him. Then he starts screaming at me to get my attention withand endless "Hey you." I then aggressively turned around and yelled, "Hey what?" in a loud manner to which he asked again if I was a cop. I said, "No" and then continued to walk away. So he said, "Why you carrying a gun around for?" to which one of the college students studying on the patio yelled, "Because of creeps like you." He then decided to leave the property. :)

protector84

imported post

I never knew that OCing was an "anti-homeless device." The funny thing is though that almost every time I see a homeless person coming towards me at a certain angle that suddenly they have changed directions and are heading at angle away from me. :)

BTW, I'd love to tell a person from California with an attitude over my gun to "go back to where you came from and take your anti-American ideas with you."

Sonora Rebel

imported post

One of the best lines I ever extemporaniously came up with in respond to the "Why do you carry that 'thing' was..... "In accordance with the prophesy..."

I haven't used "The voices tell me..." yet... but I might the next time. I have had 'em ask "Is that a REAL gun"... which makes me laugh... I mean... what else would it be? (No, it's not a real gun... it just plays one on TV) The one that gets the MOST attention is this one... Maybe it's the size?

curtm1911

imported post

Sonora,

That is a beauty, sumpin else goin on my wish list, not that a SA wasn't already there anyway. And a lever rifle and a bolt rifle and a ...........the list just goes on and on........ya know what I mean huh...........However, when it is SHTF time, I Am Ready..........

Sonora Rebel

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
Sonora,

That is a beauty, sumpin else goin on my wish list, not that a SA wasn't already there anyway. And a lever rifle and a bolt rifle and a ...........the list just goes on and on........ya know what I mean huh...........However, when it is SHTF time, I Am Ready..........
Eat yer heart out! Win. .30-30 straight eject Trapper carbine.