• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Rockingham county

Soundtrackzz

imported post

Hey guys. Awhile back there was a thread on here about carrying in central VA(at least thats what the search function told me). Of which rockingham county was included. That thread died and i dont feel like resurrecting it so im going to start a new one. Post your experiences, questions or comments about our little "Virginia Main Street Community".

hunter45

imported post

I'll be OC'ing in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County next fall after I move off campus (obviously I can't keep my gun there now since I live on campus).

Soundtrackzz

imported post

Yea i just turned 21 and im going to start OCing after i get back to JMU after srping break. I dont live on campus but very close to it so i feel like i will catch shit from JMU police

hunter45

imported post

Soundtrackzz wrote:
Yea i just turned 21 and im going to start OCing after i get back to JMU after srping break. I dont live on campus but very close to it so i feel like i will catch @#$% from JMU police

Are you going to the first Students for Concealed Carry on Campus meeting next week?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Soundtrackzz wrote:
Yea i just turned 21 and im going to start OCing after i get back to JMU after srping break. I dont live on campus but very close to it so i feel like i will catch @#$% from JMU police
Legal age to OC in Va. is 18.

Yata hey

Soundtrackzz

imported post

yea im going to the SCCC meeting next weekend. And i know that the age to OC is 18 but i just got handguns this past week because im a KY resident

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Soundtrackzz wrote:

Yata hey

I hate to do this to ya, Grape.

Cite, please.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Soundtrackzz wrote:

Be sure to get a voice recorder, too, then.

LEO 229

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Soundtrackzz wrote:

Yata hey
You referring to this? ;)

Since Open Carry is not prohibited in Virginia... this law clearly identifies you have to be 18 or older off your property.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

§ 18.2-308.7. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section, "handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm originally designed, made and intended to fire single or multiple projectiles by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand and "assault firearm" means any
(i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or

(ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.
This section shall not apply to:
1. Any person

(i) while in his home or on his property;
(ii) while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or
(iii) while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian if the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property;
2. Any person who, while accompanied by an adult, is at, or going to and from, a lawful shooting range or firearms educational class, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported;

3. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or going to and from a hunting area or preserve, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported; and

4. Any person while carrying out his duties in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard of this Commonwealth or any other state.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Let's take the big 3. Rockingham as a whole, Bridgewater and Harrisonburg. I grew up with the Sheriff and Chief of Police in both town and city. All three are good people and not anti. That's the good news.

The bad news is that they all three are going to do what they are told as far as the law allows. Bridgewater has gone from a small town at the foot of the mountains, to an Old Folks/College/Yuppie town. Expect questions. The town attorney knows the law and will NOT allow the town council to force the police department to exceed the law..but again, expect questions.

Harrisonburg is another story. They have a lot of problems with Mexicans, Meth and gangs moving in. Ron Carrier has as much pull in the city as he does on campus. Expect a lot of questions.

The rest of the county is easier.Massannutten has brought in a lot of people I wish had stayed the hell up north...but other parts of the county are still rural and gun carry is normal.

Carrying a recorder is highly recommend because there seems to be a rash of dashcam malfunctions.

Carry on campus...good luck if your a student, carry spare batteries for your recorder if not.

ballester

imported post

yep that bout covers it LEO229....oc is 18 in va....i had one sheriff"s deputy tell me...he was from NOVA area...that he would arrest any one under 21 with a handgun...i tried to explain...but if you get a badge i guess you know and are the law..i sense a law suit in the works...i tried to educate...but i am just a dumb citizen....:banghead:...he is and was the one and only leo ive ever heard say that....so that is not the voice of all leo's in va....shoot a month back i was oc'ing in an arby's on hull street in the woodlake area...and there was 3 vsp troopers there...not one said anything to me..know in all fairness i knew one of them for the last 2 years...so i knew he wouldnt say anything...but still...not any of the rookies asked me a darn thing...gave me a look..looked over to the trooper i knew..who has over twenty years with the vsp by the way...and he just smiled and waved...and countinued with his meal....so most of va leo's get it...jsut wanted to voice the one and only time ive had a leo say anything about age to oc for that matter....

Grape..your not slipping are you???:what:hahahaha...just messing with ya buddy,man of few words..:lol:

Soundtrackzz

imported post

just wondering if anyone carries the statute that allows us to OC? That might be a good idea

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ballester wrote:
Grape..your not slipping are you???:what:hahahaha...just messing with ya buddy,man of few words..:lol:
Been slipping since the day I was born - and that wasn't yesterday. :D

Too dumb or stubborn to stay down though.

Yata hey

Soundtrackzz

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Harrisonburg is another story. They have a lot of problems with Mexicans, Meth and gangs moving in. Ron Carrier has as much pull in the city as he does on campus. Expect a lot of questions.
FYI Ron Carrier isnt at JMU anymore

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Soundtrackzz wrote:
just wondering if anyone carries the statute that allows us to OC? That might be a good idea
The lack of any law forbidding OC is what makes it legal.

Many, many thread relating to this.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Soundtrackzz wrote:

There isn't one. There is NO law preventing it. That's why it's legal.

LEO 229

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Soundtrackzz wrote:

Yata hey
You referring to this? ;)

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7
I'm a man of few words - you're right though I should have cited it but then I would have been depriving you. :p

Yata hey
I disagree. No need to cite something we are all aware of here. :p

Some are very aware it exists and should just post it instead telling you to do it.

ballester

imported post

grape...yeah but it was the dumb andstubborn ones that decided that the british had overstaded there welcome....:dude: and yes if it is not writtian that it is against the law...then by default it is legal...:celebrate

Soundtrackzz

imported post

Well has anyone had any positive or negative experiences in the county? be sure to list where you were when the incident occured