Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC in Rockingham county

Post imported post

Hey guys. Awhile back there was a thread on here about carrying in central VA(at least thats what the search function told me). Of which rockingham county was included. That thread died and i dont feel like resurrecting it so im going to start a new one. Post your experiences, questions or comments about our little "Virginia Main Street Community".

Post imported post

I'll be OC'ing in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County next fall after I move off campus (obviously I can't keep my gun there now since I live on campus).

Post imported post

Yea i just turned 21 and im going to start OCing after i get back to JMU after srping break. I dont live on campus but very close to it so i feel like i will catch **** from JMU police

Post imported post

Soundtrackzz wrote:
    Yea i just turned 21 and im going to start OCing after i get back to JMU after srping break. I dont live on campus but very close to it so i feel like i will catch @#$% from JMU police
    Are you going to the first Students for Concealed Carry on Campus meeting next week?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Soundtrackzz wrote:
    Yea i just turned 21 and im going to start OCing after i get back to JMU after srping break. I dont live on campus but very close to it so i feel like i will catch @#$% from JMU police
    Legal age to OC in Va. is 18.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

yea im going to the SCCC meeting next weekend. And i know that the age to OC is 18 but i just got handguns this past week because im a KY resident

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Soundtrackzz wrote:

Yata hey
    I hate to do this to ya, Grape.

Cite, please.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Soundtrackzz wrote:
    Be sure to get a voice recorder, too, then.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Soundtrackzz wrote:

Yata hey
    You referring to this?

Since Open Carry is not prohibited in Virginia... this law clearly identifies you have to be 18 or older off your property.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.7

ยง 18.2-308.7. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.
    It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section, "handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm originally designed, made and intended to fire single or multiple projectiles by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand and "assault firearm" means any
    (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or
    (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    This section shall not apply to:
    1. Any person

(i) while in his home or on his property;
    (ii) while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or
    (iii) while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian if the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property;
    2. Any person who, while accompanied by an adult, is at, or going to and from, a lawful shooting range or firearms educational class, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported;

3. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or going to and from a hunting area or preserve, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported; and

4. Any person while carrying out his duties in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard of this Commonwealth or any other state.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Soundtrackzz wrote:

Yata hey
    You referring to this?

I'm a man of few words - you're right though I should have cited it but then I would have been depriving you. :P

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Let's take the big 3. Rockingham as a whole, Bridgewater and Harrisonburg. I grew up with the Sheriff and Chief of Police in both town and city. All three are good people and not anti. That's the good news.

The bad news is that they all three are going to do what they are told as far as the law allows. Bridgewater has gone from a small town at the foot of the mountains, to an Old Folks/College/Yuppie town. Expect questions. The town attorney knows the law and will NOT allow the town council to force the police department to exceed the law..but again, expect questions.

Harrisonburg is another story. They have a lot of problems with Mexicans, Meth and gangs moving in. Ron Carrier has as much pull in the city as he does on campus. Expect a lot of questions.

The rest of the county is easier.Massannutten has brought in a lot of people I wish had stayed the hell up north...but other parts of the county are still rural and gun carry is normal.

Carrying a recorder is highly recommend because there seems to be a rash of dashcam malfunctions.

Carry on campus...good luck if your a student, carry spare batteries for your recorder if not.

Post imported post

yep that bout covers it LEO229....oc is 18 in va....i had one sheriff"s deputy tell me...he was from NOVA area...that he would arrest any one under 21 with a handgun...i tried to explain...but if you get a badge i guess you know and are the law..i sense a law suit in the works...i tried to educate...but i am just a dumb citizen.......he is and was the one and only leo ive ever heard say that....so that is not the voice of all leo's in va....shoot a month back i was oc'ing in an arby's on hull street in the woodlake area...and there was 3 vsp troopers there...not one said anything to me..know in all fairness i knew one of them for the last 2 years...so i knew he wouldnt say anything...but still...not any of the rookies asked me a darn thing...gave me a look..looked over to the trooper i knew..who has over twenty years with the vsp by the way...and he just smiled and waved...and countinued with his meal....so most of va leo's get it...jsut wanted to voice the one and only time ive had a leo say anything about age to oc for that matter....

Grape..your not slipping are you???:what:hahahaha...just messing with ya buddy,man of few words..

Post imported post

just wondering if anyone carries the statute that allows us to OC? That might be a good idea

Post imported post

ballester wrote:
    Grape..your not slipping are you???:what:hahahaha...just messing with ya buddy,man of few words..
    Been slipping since the day I was born - and that wasn't yesterday.

Too dumb or stubborn to stay down though.

Yata hey

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    Harrisonburg is another story. They have a lot of problems with Mexicans, Meth and gangs moving in. Ron Carrier has as much pull in the city as he does on campus. Expect a lot of questions.
    FYI Ron Carrier isnt at JMU anymore

Post imported post

Soundtrackzz wrote:
    just wondering if anyone carries the statute that allows us to OC? That might be a good idea
    The lack of any law forbidding OC is what makes it legal.

Many, many thread relating to this.

Yata hey

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Soundtrackzz wrote:
    There isn't one. There is NO law preventing it. That's why it's legal.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Soundtrackzz wrote:

Yata hey
    You referring to this?

I'm a man of few words - you're right though I should have cited it but then I would have been depriving you. :P

Yata hey
    I disagree. No need to cite something we are all aware of here. :P

Some are very aware it exists and should just post it instead telling you to do it.

Post imported post

grape...yeah but it was the dumb andstubborn ones that decided that the british had overstaded there welcome.... and yes if it is not writtian that it is against the law...then by default it is legal...:celebrate

Post imported post

Well has anyone had any positive or negative experiences in the county? be sure to list where you were when the incident occured

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    Soundtrackzz wrote:
    There isn't one. There is NO law preventing it. That's why it's legal.
    As many have stated and as is the law in "free" countries, anything that is not forbidden is lawful..... Unlike totalitarian, tyrannical states where anything not allowed by law is illegal...... such as what a lot of commonwealth attorneys try to do.

Post imported post

Looks like this thread has been a bit quiet lately, so I'll knock the dust off as I am working in Harrisonburg all week. So far I've been all over the grounds of my hotel, and over to the Home Depot where I met up with a vaguntrader.com member to complete a FTF deal on a pistol.

He had heard of VCDL but wasn't really familiar with them, so I explained how they work and left him an app. Gonna mark this one as a "probable".

Post imported post

Hit the hotel lobby for the free breakfast buffet this morning and got the "are you a cop or something?" from another guest. He turned out to be from Connecticut, had a really good conversation with him and his son.

Lunch at El Charro, dinner at Bob Evans, also OC'd at Costco (just for gas, but had a nice long conversation with the cute attendant).

Post imported post

Lunch at Thai Cafe today. Great food and excellent service. Would have hit somewhere else for dinner, except that they gave me so much for lunch that dinner was covered!

Post imported post

Visited Ashby Arms and Valley Surplus at lunch today, with a quick stop at Arby's. Back to Bob Evan's for dinner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast