• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wachovia Bank removing "No Guns" signs

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

A friend emailed me today and said that Wachovia Bank branches in and around Lake Placid, Fl. have removed all of their "No Guns" signs - nothing but the scraped up adhesive left.

A while back there were several threads relating to Wells Fargo buying Wachovia wherein it was posted that Wells Fargo was gun friendly - honored the laws of the state in which the office/branch was located.

Hope to see this in Virginia soon.

Yata hey

gcrtkd

imported post

Well, well, well... what great timing. As I mentioned in another thread or three, I just relocated out here to NOVA with my family from CA. Out there, we both had accounts with Washington Mutual. Those seem to be few and far between out here though. I have a number of online accounts, but one always needs a bricks and mortar location with ATMs for cash withdrawals and depositing checks. What banks do you guys recommend for basic checking/savings? I'm always up to support pro-2A establishments, so maybe Wachovia... I'm open for suggestions though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

gcrtkd wrote:
Well, well, well... what great timing. As I mentioned in another thread or three, I just relocated out here to NOVA with my family from CA. Out there, we both had accounts with Washington Mutual. Those seem to be few and far between out here though. I have a number of online accounts, but one always needs a bricks and mortar location with ATMs for cash withdrawals and depositing checks. What banks do you guys recommend for basic checking/savings? I'm always up to support pro-2A establishments, so maybe Wachovia... I'm open for suggestions though.
Sun Trust is a major player in the area and very gun friendly - never had the first problem and am OCing each time I visit.

Yata hey

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
gcrtkd wrote:
Sun Trust is a major player in the area and very gun friendly - never had the first problem and am OCing each time I visit.

Yata hey
+1

ballester

imported post

yep suntrust...and even though they got an "armed" guard...bank of americahas no signs..village bank is not posted either..

richarcm

imported post

My bank (VACU) is located in Richmond. I have to use a credit union service center located next to Hard Times in Springfield to access my VACU account. I've never had a problem there. Then again the employees are sealed off from the lobby by 2" solid Lexan. That may contribute to the OC friendliness.

gcrtkd

imported post

Alrighty, SunTrust is #1 on the list to check out. Thanks guys!

Now, here's the thing... I haven't been around here on this board very long, and what do I know... I'm from CA... but I think we really need to do this...

"The Letter"

I think that one of the most powerful tools that anyone on this board has talked about is "the letter." What is "the letter" you ask? The letter is what one OCDO member wrote to Home Depot (I think) when they saw him OC'ing and asked him to leave. He inquired as to their policy and ended up leaving without buying anything there. What he did next was spot on... he went across the way to Lowes, bought what he would have bought at HD, went home, and then wrote a letter to HD -- enclosing a copy of his Lowes receipt -- explaining that he viewed their policy as endangering him by prohibiting him from carrying the most effective tool of self defense. Therefore, he did the only reasonable thing, which was to spend his money at their competitor. Thus the double-whammy... them losing his business and their competitor getting his money.

So, what I propose is that we draft two "OCDO" letters: one a "Thank you for supporting my rights in your establishment and you can count on my business and word-of-mouth referrals" and the other a "I like your business, and I would spend a lot of money there but your policy of prohibiting me the tools of self defense while shopping in your establishment has left me with no option but to make my purchases at your competitor." (Maybe VCDL wants to get in on some of this action and have a joint VCDL/OCDO letter??) Having the skeleton of these letters pre-written will make OC'ers and CC'ers much more likely to actually adapt and send them. I'm no Bill Shakespeare, but here's a go...

Feel free to throw stones///

"The Good Letter"

Business Name
Business Address

Dear Sirs;

My name is Peter Lemonjello. In a typical year, I spend approximately $XXX/year on groceries/automotive supplies/hardware/panty hose/whatever and your business is my first choice for such purchaces. I am writing to draw your attention to a very positive experience which I had at your XYZ store on 123 Anywhere St., Some City, VA on 03/12/2009. I am a stong believer in personal responsibility and preparedness and, as such, I find it prudent to safely carry a firearm with me whenever and wherever I am not prohibited from doing so by law. As you may know, in the state of VA, there is no law against the safe carrying of a holstered firearm by non-prohibited adults. Private property owners and lessees such as your business are allowed to set the rules they choose on their property.

On 03/12/2009, I was shopping for "B" batteries at your store in Some City, VA. I was in the store for approximately XX hours and during that time other customers or store employees may have noticed my firearm. However, nobody made any mention of it and by the time I ended up checking out I purchased $YYY worth of goods (receipt enclosed). It makes me happy to know that your company respects my right and responsibility to defend my family and myself. Rest assured, this positive experience and your continued support of this right will cause me to continue to shop at your business and to recommend it to my friends and family as well.

-Sincerely Yours
-Peter Lemonjello

PJ's address & contact info

CC: Your Business HQ

-------------

"The Bad Letter"

Business Name
Business Address

Dear Sirs;

My name is Peter Lemonjello. In a typical year, I spend approximately $XXX/year on groceries/automotive supplies/hardware/panty hose/whatever and your business would be my first choice for such purchaces if your store policies were not what they are. I am writing to draw your attention to a very negative experience which I had at your XYZ store on 123 Anywhere St., Some City, VA on 03/12/2009. I am a stong believer in personal responsibility and preparedness and, as such, I find it prudent to safely carry a firearm with me whenever and wherever I am not prohibited from doing so by law. As you may know, in the state of VA, there is no law against the safe carrying of a holstered firearm by non-prohibited adults. Private property owners and lessees such as your business are allowed to set the rules they choose on their property.

On 03/12/2009, I wanted to buy some "B" batteries at your store in Some City, VA. However, when I arrived, I saw your sign prohibiting even the legal carrying of firearms within your establishment. As soon as I saw this sign, I turned right back around and drove straight to your competitor, Lowes/Giant/Good Vibrations/you-get-the-picture, to do my shopping. (Note: the second and third sentences could be replaced with something like: Before even giving it a second thought, I headed off to do my shopping at your competitor, Lowes/Giant/Good Vibrations, because I am aware that your business prohibits even the legal carrying of firearms on your property.) I spent YY hours in your competitor's store and during that time other customers or store employees may have noticed my firearm but nobody made any mention of it. By the time I ended up checking out I had purchased $YYY worth of goods (receipt enclosed). This is money which I gladly would have spent at your store were your policy against firearms not what it is. It made me happy to know that your competitor respects my right and responsibility to defend my family and myself. Rest assured, my positive experience at their store and their continued support of this right will cause me to continue to shop there and to recommend it to my friends and family. I hope that you will reconsider your company/store policies and allow the legal carrying of firearms so that I can shop there with confidence.

-Sincerely Yours
-Peter Lemonjello

PJ's address & contact info

CC: Your Business HQ

Glock27Bill

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
gcrtkd wrote:

Yata hey
+1

+2

I left Wachovia for Sun Trust, never looked back.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

gcrtkd;

Good work! Looks like you're on to something there. Patronage and the satisfaction of a business' customers are two of the three most important things to a business (the other being happy and product employees). The other day, I was reading a post on this site that mentioned we needed a "topic" section dedicated to just a list of businesses that supported our rights and a list of those who do not. We could add your skeleton letters under a heading called Tools.

So it might look something like this;

General Discussion

Businesses - Pro and Con

Supporting Businesses

Non-Supporting Businesses

Tools

gcrtkd

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
gcrtkd;

Good work! Looks like you're on to something there. Patronage and the satisfaction of a business' customers are two of the three most important things to a business (the other being happy and product employees). The other day, I was reading a post on this site that mentioned we needed a "topic" section dedicated to just a list of businesses that supported our rights and a list of those who do not. We could add your skeleton letters under a heading called Tools.

So it might look something like this;

General Discussion

Businesses - Pro and Con

Supporting Businesses

Non-Supporting Businesses

Tools
I read you 5 x 5 and concur. I know that VCDL/NRA have a list of gun unfriendlybusinesses/locations:http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html, but it is hard to tell how current the list is, and things change (Wachovia is the last item on their list... but things seem to be changing in FL... or maybe they're just getting hurricane-proof tape). This list would certainly provide a good jumping off point for places for many, many pro-2A'ers to send letters saying how much you would love to, say,take your family out to dinner at TGIFriday's, but you just cannot justify putting their loved onesin such a vulnerable position because of their anti-firearms policy. In this economy companies are probably having an increasingly difficult time turning down cold, hard green.

It's all about perception at these service-oriented businesses. They want everyone to think they're their best friend... "Come on out to two-fer Tuesdays at TGIF's, where you'll get a bottomless bucket of wings and all the friendship you can shake a stick at!" If we can politely get the word to them that they're putting their business on the losing end of an economic"4-point swing"... (Think basketball... the opponent blocks your shot, takes the ball, and runs the court and scores their own basket. That's 2 pts that you didn't get and 2 points that they did... the 4-point swing.) thenthere's a better chance they'll change thier policies. They can have whatever policies they like, but business is all about the bottom line. It certainly won't make them happy that, not only aren't they getting our money, but their competitors are.

At the end of the day, do you really care if you getyour burger at TGIF v. Houlihan's v. Wendy's? Hell, you can stay at home, drill your own license plate to a wall, and grill a burger right there. As we all know, the companies that own these businesses spend a ton ofmoney on PR firms and advetising, trying to shape a positive image in the minds of their current and potential future customers. They run market analysis, focus groups, targeted advertising campaigns, etc., etc., but direct feedback from a (potential) customer in the form of a written letter canweigh very heavily in their decision-making. Perception works both ways. If you think about it, in this age of e-mail, voicemail,and other forms of instant electronic communication, receiving an actualletter in the mail means that someone actually took the time to sit down and compose coherent thoughts, then find an envelope and a stamp, find their mailing address, and then actually got up off of their butt and went to the mailbox to send it.

So, let's get some of our good minds together and bang out the dents in these letters. We then need to find some easily accessible place to store them so everyone can use them. Anyone from VCDL leadership want to chime in? One thing I forgot to put into the letters, which may or may not fit, is what we actually want these companies to do. In the "Good" letter we could say for them to keep it up and make sure to tell their business acquaintances and in the "Bad" letter we could tell them that we would like them to remove their firearms prohibitions and have policies no more restrictive than VA State law.

On a personal note... I'm headed over to Sun Trust today to see about opening an account and I am certainly planning on writing them a letter saying that I found out about their business and their respect for my rights from OCDO. Maybe the other banks on the VCDL/NRA's "naughty" list will be receiving letters from me stating that their anti-firearms policies pushed me away from their institutions and over to that of their competitor.