• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Joining LEO for the perks...

Michigander

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Why can't you open carry while off duty?
Every department will have its own silly rules. On the other hand, I saw at least one department in Arizona that seemed to encourage off duty OC. :cool:

LEO 229

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Why can't you open carry while off duty?
Department rules!!

There are many more rules. Rules that govern what you can and cannot do....

On and Off duty.

So what y'all see as perks is nothing as compared to the restrictions we know exist. :lol:

I will add one more.
  • Cannot accept gifts
Have to write a memo to the Chief if a citizen wants to be nice and show appreciation.

Michigander

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Have to write a memo to the Chief if a citizen wants to be nice and show appreciation.
You got it good. I never get freebies. I just get looked down at by people when I go out to lunch or dinner after working, and I'm in a state of dirtiness. :p

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Perks?? :shock:

Why? I had one while a sworn deputy sheriff in Virginia.
Your prior agency rules are different than mine.

If I could have one that would mean I could leave the badge at home and use my CC permit to carry anything I like. But if I had to use it there could be a chance I would maybe act under color of law.

OMG!! Not trained with that gun!! Liability.

As I said... I cannot OC either and that is not a law! It is a department order.

grumpycoconut

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Wouldn't the danger factor be dependent on the type of cop? A SWAT team member is obviously more at risk than parking enforcement officer or a telephone operator at the police station.
SWAT cops are by far safer than any other regular cop. They have a ton of gear and a whole bunch of heavily armed buddies standing right behind them. Detectives are a a bit more risk becasue they tend to be lightly armed, unarmored and prone to visiting people who don't like cops in their homes. Street cops have it worst of all. Every call is a crap shoot, all the players are unknowns and cover is usually minutes away.

YllwFvr

imported post

I knew a fella who became a constable just so he could carry his gun anywhere and have a badge. He never once did the job either. It was too much work for too little pay he said. That was in Bradford co Pa.

And then the lackawanna constable just about gives you a heart attack! From what I hear its a green vietnam jacket, pants full of holes, greasy waist length hair. Oh and his badge and gun clipped to his waist. I cant say anything about the guys character, just his personal appearance. I heard one story bout a cop writing a ticket in his car and the constable walked up and asked if he needed help. Traffic cop just saw a hippie with a gun and about filled his pants :lol:.

Of course a constable is easier to become (in some ways) thana normal LEO who took 120.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
But at least here in Virginia I have the satisfaction of knowing that IF I wind up being killed by a BG, the cops will not rest until they bring him or her to justice;and for the most part the BGs know it too, and that makes my situation safer.

Do you actually believe that? Good gosh man, it's been 5 years since the wife of Alexandria Sheriff Jim Dunning was murdered. And they still haven't made an arrest. They're not even close to making an arrest.
Everybody in this City is acutely aware of what is rapidly becoming the Black Dahlia East. The Del Ray neighborhood is lined with paper-bag lanterns along every street from Warwick Village to Monroe Avenue on the night of the anniversary of the murder, every year, just to let the killer(s) know the City has not forgotten nor will it. But this murder from everything I have read looks like a professional "hit" that was carefully planned and executed. The scumbags who kill cabdrivers for usually less than $100.00 don't plan much past lunch, and in the case of the most recent murder here were caught within one week.

Poor Sheriff Dunning is still - rightly or wrongly - viewed with suspicion by many Alexandrians and must be going through hell on Earth even today. My money is on someone Dunning locked up or their friends or family, but I am not a cop and even within families who are all cops if one of them is CID the others don't talk to him about his cases.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Join for the perks just won't get it. I don't need a job but took one with corrections just to have something to do.

The perks I do get are kinda nice and I don't turn them down. I haven't done any thing wrong to "get a break" and hope I never do.

I learn something every day and the job is a challenge. And I do not have to be there.:dude:

Gunslinger

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Perks?? :shock:
  • I am required to conceal my firearm off duty in an open carry state
  • I can only carry what my department authorizes
  • If I fire my gun off duty other than at the range I must write a memo
  • I am not permitted to have a CC permit
  • Prior to HR218 I could not carry in other states
  • If I do not qualify at the range I do not get to carry a gun
  • If I get a traffic ticket I have to write a memo
  • If I get a traffic ticket my job will punish me
  • I have to buy fast food already out or they spit in what I order
  • If I travel over the speed limit by 1 mile per hour in my work vehicle people call and complain to my employer
  • Anyone can accuse me of being a racist and my job will sit me down for a 4 hour interview with two supervisors under the hot light
  • I have to remove dead animals from the road
  • I have to clean urine and feces from my car after intoxicated citizens get out
  • When people are rude to me I am required to take it and say nothing
  • I am required to answer all questions truthfully including my private life or I will be fired
  • I cannot take on a second job with out the approval of my employer
Ya, I see the perks!

What real perks are there?
  • Carry in all states (You can get this with CC permits too)
  • Discounted means (Spit is free plus a dash of pot)
  • No tickets (Not true. Many cops write cops and citizens get warning tickets)
  • Carry in bars (Big deal! I do not even drink)
Fellas, I am not seeing how the perks outweigh the cons.

Did I miss any?
Where do you keep coming up with these avatars???:shock: