• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

waiting period

mrlarry

imported post

I was told last weekend during mt CWP class at Allen Arms in Greenville, SC that there is now a 120 day wait for a permit. This is in contrast to SC State Law which states no more than90 days. Does anyone have any further info on this subject? The instructor attributed it to the "downsizing" atSLED, leaving only ONE person handling ALL the applications!! Considering the amountof full classes weekly, it would seem that there is more than enough money to supportthe proper staffing to deal with the volume of applications.I have contacted Sen. DeMint regarding this and I am waiting for his response. Is this extra month legal? Cheers!

AngelMaker

imported post

As an Instructor for CWP, I recieved a letter at the first of the year stating that SLED was reducing its number of employees in the office area and that they no longer finger printed applicants or would be teaching a finger printing class.It seems alot of areas and businesses including local,county and state employees are feeling that they need to cut some jobs in order to keep more officers in the field. Considering the fact that our economy is struggling, I can deal with a longer wait on paperwork better than I can deal with less officers in the field. Crime has gone crazy in some area of the state, especially small towns where alot of businesses have moved or closed down resulting in alot of unemployed ppl with few or very little jobs available. I am sorry that everyone has to wait longer to get their permit, how much longer I am not sure. I do know that most applicants were taking almost 90 days before the cut-backs and now with a smaller staff in the office, it could be much longer.

warlockmatized

imported post

Took my class Sat May 9th. According to the instructor all the paperwork will go out on Mon May 11th. Will update on how long it took for "me" to receive my permit.

M

mdgary

imported post

What about renewing your permits?

Will that take longer also?

If so, my permit may be out of date before the new one arrives.

RWoody

imported post

I took my class in mid-April. Received my permit July 25th. It took92 days from when I mailed it. Givinga couple of days formaking the 90 mile trip from here to Columbiaand back puts them right at 90 days processing.

warlockmatized

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
Took my class Sat May 9th. According to the instructor all the paperwork will go out on Mon May 11th. Will update on how long it took for "me" to receive my permit.
CWP JUST arrived in the mail. WOW! I had called a couple of days ago and according to their automated message they do NOT want to hear from you unless 100 days have passed. HOLY MOLY!

One nice thing about it....it's not some cheap flimsy paper thing that looks like a kindergarten class put them together. High quality plastic card just like your S.C. drivers license.

warlockmatized

imported post

mdgary wrote:
What about renewing your permits?

Will that take longer also?

If so, my permit may be out of date before the new one arrives.
According to the paperwork that accompanied my new permit today SLED wants you to start the renewal process preferably SIXTY days before expiration. Also they are NO longer mailing reminders since all the forms can be found on their site.

At the bottom of the letter it also states (paraphrased) that they are sorry for the LONG wait. Budget cuts have reduced their staff.

boujiboy2000

imported post

Me and my father took the test just before summer started and got it around the beginning of sept. They said that it would would take 90 days but it seemed to take slightly longer Not sure how many days it was because I was very busy at the time and wasn't thinking about it until it came in the mail.

The instructor of the class also said that we were probably going to be the last class to have the 90 day wait, and that we also were going to be the first applicants that can not be looked up for having a cwp by the general public because the records are now confidential unless it is law enforcement, I found that pretty cool.

:celebrate:monkey

hp-hobo

imported post

boujiboy2000 wrote:
Me and my father took the test just before summer started and got it around the beginning of sept. They said that it would would take 90 days but it seemed to take slightly longer Not sure how many days it was because I was very busy at the time and wasn't thinking about it until it came in the mail.

The instructor of the class also said that we were probably going to be the last class to have the 90 day wait, and that we also were going to be the first applicants that can not be looked up for having a cwp by the general public because the records are now confidential unless it is law enforcement, I found that pretty cool.
Contact your instructor and tell him to keep his (her?) incorrect information and opinions to himself (herself).

The law, that it's their responsibility to know and teach, says SLED has 90 days from cashing your check until they have your CWP in your hand. That has not and is not scheduled to change. During the last 12ish months it has unfortunatelyin some cases taken slightly longer, but now they're caught up and are getting them out in right at the 90 day marks again. And they will take every one of those 90 days to get them out. Business as usual.

As for CWP confidentiality, that's been the law for about six or seven years now, fought for and won by GrassRoots GunRights South Carolina. If your instructor just found out about it, they must be living in a cage and their certificatiuon to teach should be pulled.

It looks to me as though you're depending on the wrong people for your CWP and possibly firearms info. Check out http://www.scfirearms.org/, become a member, join the discussion board and get all your questions answered.

boujiboy2000

imported post

Even if it was illegal private investigators had access to national crime databases that listed if a person had a concealed carry permit for many years.

Taking away a instructors license seems like more of a anti gun attitude to me.

I do not see how saying that people can not look you up now that they updated the national crime database is good grounds to revoke training for concealed weapons.

In the United States of America you have the right to your opinion also, And No I wont keep it to myself I am a American.

I would hate to ask a honest question here all I would get is told I am stupid by forum trolls.

PT111

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
boujiboy2000 wrote:

Contact your instructor and tell him to keep his (her?) incorrect information and opinions to himself (herself).

The law, that it's their responsibility to know and teach, says SLED has 90 days from cashing your check until they have your CWP in your hand. That has not and is not scheduled to change. During the last 12ish months it has unfortunatelyin some cases taken slightly longer, but now they're caught up and are getting them out in right at the 90 day marks again. And they will take every one of those 90 days to get them out. Business as usual.

As for CWP confidentiality, that's been the law for about six or seven years now, fought for and won by GrassRoots GunRights South Carolina. If your instructor just found out about it, they must be living in a cage and their certificatiuon to teach should be pulled.

It looks to me as though you're depending on the wrong people for your CWP and possibly firearms info. Check out http://www.scfirearms.org/, become a member, join the discussion board and get all your questions answered.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess117_2007-2008/bills/3528.htm

If this is what you are talking about I would say from 4/16/08 until now is not six or seven years.

And just in case you didn't know SLED will no longer accept personal checks for applications.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

boujiboy2000 wrote:
I would hate to ask a honest question here all I would get is told I am stupid by forum trolls.
My browser is really neat. It searches all the words on a page with just a click. You, 'boy', are the only one that has used the word "stupid", but you used it well and accurately.

Study up on the meaning and significance of personal attacks and presenting yourself as arguing from personal authority. You can start with the Wikipedia, even there the associations are made, that a personal attack is the 'opposite' (will do for you) of arguing from authority that implies your opponent is somehow inadequate.

You were really a PI, to know about this secret database access?

carryall

imported post

I was told that SLED had to issue with in 90 days even if they could not complete their end of the transaction, with the right to revoke, if after 90 days they find just reason to do so.

PT111

imported post

carryall wrote:
I was told that SLED had to issue with in 90 days even if they could not complete their end of the transaction, with the right to revoke, if after 90 days they find just reason to do so.

Read it however you want to but this is the law. It says that they must notify you if denial within 90 days otherwise they have to issue a permit which can later be revoked. I can't say that it actually requires them to issue one within 90 days if they are not denying it.
23-31-215
(C) SLED shall issue a written statement to an unqualified applicant specifying its reasons for denying the application within ninety days from the date the application was received; otherwise, SLED shall issue a concealable weapon permit. If an applicant is unable to comply with the provisions of Section 23-31-210(4), SLED shall offer the applicant a handgun training course that satisfies the requirements of Section 23-31-210(4)(a). The course shall cost fifty dollars. SLED shall use the proceeds to defray the training course's operating costs. If a permit is granted by operation of law because an applicant was not notified of a denial within the ninety-day notification period, the permit may be revoked upon written notification from SLED that sufficient grounds exist for revocation or initial denial.

boujiboy2000

imported post

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=19937

If they are talking about the list being public why are all the articles on this subject dated in 2008?

just think if anyone looked you up in 2008 do you think they would not write it down? why would they look it up in the first place. glad I got mine in 2009.

although I doubt that there isnt some method people can find it and people in this forum sayin no you cant doesnt convince me either. neither does a link to the sled website.

here is a quote from the article you can tear apart

"[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"][font="Times New Roman, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]The law, which took effect immediately, also requires the State Law Enforcement Division to publish statistical information yearly on permit holders, applicants and suspensions. And it requires anyone who already has a list of concealed weapon permit holders to destroy it, though there are no penalties for not doing so."

consider the list like a phone book if u are unlisted now you were not always unlisted!
[/font]
[/font]

stupid stupid....

I said stupid 2 times so now u can quote me more, I know how people in this forum like to pick on others and that is my good deed for the day.

CapnDub

imported post

A current update for all: My SC CWP application was mailed on 10/5/09. I received the permit yesterday, 12/30/09. That's 86 days, including mailing time. Allowing one day in the mail each way and one day for SLED to get the application processed in (yeah, sure), that comes to 83 days. They seem to be catching up a bit.