• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Los Angeles County Municipal Code

Mykal

imported post

Ive been looking up LA County firearm rules/regs for school distances due to it stating 1,500'. Link Here I have been told "The law which takes precidence sides with the stricter law. County can make gun control more strict in it's area, but can't undo/negate/ignore state laws."

So i wanted to see for myself if this is true. During my researchi came across these municipal codes such as Trigger locks being sold with a gun, and my favourite; the home warning of firearms. Link Here

(o) Trigger Locks. (New Subsec. (o) Added by Ord. No. 171,758, Eff. 11/23/97.) A trigger lock is a device which is designed to prevent the firearm from functioning and which is locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or a similar locking device, that is reusable, and, when applied to the weapon, renders the weapon inoperable. The permittee shall not sell, lease or otherwise transfer a firearm without also selling or otherwise providing a trigger lock with each such firearm sold, leased or otherwise transferred. In the event trigger locks are not manufactured for a particular firearm, the requirement is satisfied by selling a similar device designed to prevent the unintentional discharge of firearms.

(p) Rules For The Protection Of Firearms. (Subsec. (n) Redesignated as (p) by Ord. No. 171,758, Eff. 11/23/97.) The Board shall adopt and enforce by rules and regulations security requirements consistent with State law for the protection from theft of firearms and ammunition sold and maintained by any permittee. Such rules may require that any permittee provide burglar alarms systems, separate storage areas for ammunition and other measures designed to prevent the theft of such merchandise from the premises of the permittee.

(q) Warning Regarding Dangers of Firearms in the Home. (New Subsec. (q) Added by Ord. No. 178,996, Eff. 9/3/07.) Within 30 days after the effective date of this subsection, the permittee shall do the following:

1. Post conspicuously within the premises the following warning in block letters not less than one inch in height:

WARNING: THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES HAS DETERMINED THAT GUNS IN THE HOME ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO BE USED TO KILL OR INJURE A HOUSEHOLD MEMBER THAN TO PROTECT AGAINST AN ATTACKER. IT IS SAFEST NOT TO KEEP A GUN IN THE HOME. IF A GUN IS KEPT IN THE HOME, IT SHOULD BE KEPT UNLOADED AND SECURELY LOCKED AND AMMUNITION SHOULD BE LOCKED SEPARATELY.

2. Provide all firearm purchasers with a bill of sale for the purchase of the firearm(s), which includes the warning language required in Subdivision 1. of this subsection.

Decoligny

imported post

Mykal wrote:
Ive been looking up LA County firearm rules/regs for school distances due to it stating 1,500'. Link Here I have been told "The law which takes precidence sides with the stricter law. County can make gun control more strict in it's area, but can't undo/negate/ignore state laws."

So i wanted to see for myself if this is true. During my researchi came across these municipal codes such as Trigger locks being sold with a gun, and my favourite; the home warning of firearms. Link Here

(o) Trigger Locks. (New Subsec. (o) Added by Ord. No. 171,758, Eff. 11/23/97.) A trigger lock is a device which is designed to prevent the firearm from functioning and which is locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or a similar locking device, that is reusable, and, when applied to the weapon, renders the weapon inoperable. The permittee shall not sell, lease or otherwise transfer a firearm without also selling or otherwise providing a trigger lock with each such firearm sold, leased or otherwise transferred. In the event trigger locks are not manufactured for a particular firearm, the requirement is satisfied by selling a similar device designed to prevent the unintentional discharge of firearms.

(p) Rules For The Protection Of Firearms. (Subsec. (n) Redesignated as (p) by Ord. No. 171,758, Eff. 11/23/97.) The Board shall adopt and enforce by rules and regulations security requirements consistent with State law for the protection from theft of firearms and ammunition sold and maintained by any permittee. Such rules may require that any permittee provide burglar alarms systems, separate storage areas for ammunition and other measures designed to prevent the theft of such merchandise from the premises of the permittee.

(q) Warning Regarding Dangers of Firearms in the Home. (New Subsec. (q) Added by Ord. No. 178,996, Eff. 9/3/07.) Within 30 days after the effective date of this subsection, the permittee shall do the following:

1. Post conspicuously within the premises the following warning in block letters not less than one inch in height:

WARNING: THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES HAS DECIDED THAT GUNS IN THE HOME ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO BE USED TO KILL OR INJURE A HOUSEHOLD MEMBER THAN TO PROTECT AGAINST AN ATTACKER. IT IS SAFEST NOT TO KEEP A GUN IN THE HOME. IF A GUN IS KEPT IN THE HOME, IT SHOULD BE KEPT UNLOADED AND SECURELY LOCKED AND AMMUNITION SHOULD BE LOCKED SEPARATELY.

2. Provide all firearm purchasers with a bill of sale for the purchase of the firearm(s), which includes the warning language required in Subdivision 1. of this subsection.
Fixed that typo for ya!

Decoligny

imported post

That was sarcasm against the City of Los Angeles.

They have "Determined" because it fits their agenda to do so. I highly doubt thatthey have reviewed any actualdata in making their "determination", so the "decided".

prcE6

imported post

Looks like the riots taught city absolutley nothing.

I love the way government just wants to save us to death!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Keep in mind all the above is moot, as state law preempts local ordinances. We've discussed this ad nauseum in other threads. Use the search function if you want my citations.

The bottom line is that the state regulates firearms. The only thing the localities can enforce:

• Possession of firearms on city/county property - e.g. fair grounds (not to be confused with public places)
  • Discharge of firearms (which affects 12031)
So the worst a city/county can do is to make loaded carry and discharge of a firearm illegal everywhere, and ban possession on public property. It cannot ban guns entirely, it cannot ban open carry, it cannot require sign-posting in your home.