• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone use serpa carbon fiber holster

dirty_sanchez

imported post

I use a Serpa with paddle with a Glock 27 and it just so happens to fit the full size G22 both in .40 fitted with the Crimson Trace Laser Grip.

It isn't the carbon fiber model but the $30grey plasticversion from Academy.

I like the retention device because it forces your bang finger to stay out of the trigger guard as youremove the weapon from the holster.

The paddle retention on other makes of paddle holsters is virtually non-existant, but on the Serpa, the retention has fingers that grip the inside of your pants, as well as fingers that lock on the bottom edge of your belt. It's easy to get it mounted-pretty much slides right on, but short of unbuckling your belt and britches to pull the retention fingers out a bit, it won't come off easily. It's actually pretty much a pain to remove that paddle but I like it.

It has many different mounting angles to choose from as well as a height adjustment.

Dirty

turbodog

imported post

I genuinely love that Blackhawk Serpa holster.

I was never a fan of plastic holsters till I got this one (came with a Glock 17
I bought).

Great retention and very quick and easy to draw from.
Mine doesn't have the carbon fiber finish though.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I OC my XD-9 Service model in a CQC SERPA and like it very much.

Some folks on another forum, however, do not like the SERPA and expressed their main concern about dirt getting in the way of the release. I suppose if I were slogging through the mud or rolling around on the ground frequently, that might concern me; but I have never had any trouble with the release. Also, the Virginia Beach Police Department has recently switched all of their duty holsters to SERPAS, which quieted some of that opposition.

One point that they made which DOES have some merit is that you need to practice with the holster and your gun completely unloaded (check and re-check, guns are ALWAYS loaded). You should cock the mechanism and then draw to firing position, hold on target (something safe like a brick wall or range backstop) without pressing the trigger, then return to holster without looking for it. The importance of this drill is two-fold: first you have to get used to using the release in a way that your index finger naturally positions itself in a safe position OUTSIDE of the trigger guard; second you have to get used to reholstering without taking your eyes off of any potential threat that may still exist. It's possible that you will discover your finger has a tendency to hit the trigger - this would cause a discharge you did not intend - hence the need for the drill.