• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Pistol/Revolver License Application Backlog

BIKER CHICK

imported post

Hi! Just out of curiorsity have you ever applied for a permit in Vermont to carry? Just wondering how long it takes them and what it costs. My husband and I ride motorcycle through the England States a lot and want to be able to carry concealed whenever we travel.Looks like we have to check into CT and NY as well. I will try calling on Monday to NH, but from earlier posts I see that people said not to call because it will only delay everything more.

FMCDH

imported post

Jeremy2141 wrote:
It's really easy. You don't need a permit in Vermont.

Show up with your firearms, open carry or concealed carry them!
While this is true, they still have laws you need to be aware of and follow. Vermont is a default reciprocity state, but be aware of the few places you cant carry.

Hit this site up for all the info and links you may need....
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Just click on the state that you want info about. :)

"Carry On!"

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BIKER CHICK wrote:
Hi Everyone. So if the application was sent in beginning of June with the $20 and doesn't get processed for three months, are they going to accept the $20 fee from that time or look to get the other $80 because of the Fee Increase July 1st? Thanks
Mailed application and $20 end of March.
Check cleared July 23
Permit issued July 26 (a Sunday so they are working weekends)
Postmark August 3
Rcvd August 6

No request for another $80 so they appear to be honoring based on postmark or receipt for the fee.

BIKER CHICK

imported post

Hi! Sorry that I never replied back, but wanted to say thanks for your update. We are just now hitting the 4th month waiting so hopefully we will hear something soon. I know that my husband is getting very impatient.

mvpel

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Mailed application and $20 end of March.
Check cleared July 23
Permit issued July 26 (a Sunday so they are working weekends)
Postmark August 3
Rcvd August 6

No request for another $80 so they appear to be honoring based on postmark or receipt for the fee.
They're still breaking the law, of course. Too bad the only penalty available costs the victims of their crime money to pursue.

Jeremy2141

imported post

If anyone has sent in their carry permit and has the certified letter reciept, I would recommend they contact Penny Dean. You can do a google search and find her info quite easily.

BIKER CHICK

imported post

Hi! Do you have the phone number to the Police Department where the applications go in case we need to call. My husbands application was not sent certified and I know that if he doesn't hear something by the end of October he wants to try and call. Who knows if the applic. was even received. Thanks!

virginiatuck

imported post

BIKER CHICK wrote:
Hi! Do you have the phone number to the Police Department where the applications go in case we need to call. My husbands application was not sent certified and I know that if he doesn't hear something by the end of October he wants to try and call. Who knows if the applic. was even received. Thanks!
Back when I was waiting for mine, they would not confirm whether my application had been received. They don't have any way of knowing whose applications they have received until they actually begin working on them. Your husband's application is most likely sitting in a BIG, unsorted pile.

Your husband is either going to have to wait it out or request a writ of mandamus from a New Hampshire court. And the writ of mandamus is an untested avenue that has been mentioned on this forum, but to my knowledge nobody has tried it.

Jeremy2141

imported post

If you have a certified mail reciept, I would seriously contact Penny Dean. She's very good on these issues. They are REQUIRED BY LAW to issue you this permit (or deny it in writing) within 14 days. There are no provisions for the department being to busy to issue or deny them in the law.

BIKER CHICK

imported post

Hi Everyone. Thanks for all the info. I'll share it with my husband and see what he wants to do. He was asking me last night that if and when they approve it he wondered if the starting date would be back in June when he applied or start when they process it. The thought of losing months gone by doesn't thrill him.

virginiatuck

imported post

BIKER CHICK wrote:
Hi Everyone. Thanks for all the info. I'll share it with my husband and see what he wants to do. He was asking me last night that if and when they approve it he wondered if the starting date would be back in June when he applied or start when they process it. The thought of losing months gone by doesn't thrill him.
Snipped from 159:6 License to Carry. (note: this law was modified during the last legislative session, but has not yet been updated on the nh.gov web site)
"When required, license renewal shall take place within the month of the fourth anniversary of the license holder's date of birth following the date of issuance."

You ought to receive the license by mail within 5 days of the date of issuance.

Mine, for example, was issued on 27MAY2009 and expires 31OCT2013 because my birth date is in OCT. I received it in the mail, if I recall correctly, 31MAY2009 ( I posted the exact date earlier in this thread).

I wonder if this rule means that if your birth date is earlier in the year than the date of issuance, that you could get up to an extra year on your license than someone whose birth date is later in the year than the date of issuance. For instance, if your birth date is 01JAN and your license is issued on 01FEB2009...your first "date of birth following the date of issuance" is 01JAN2010; the fourth anniversary from that date is 01JAN2014, so would the date of expiration be 31JAN2014?

Or is the year of expiration *always* four years after the year of issuance no matter where the birth date falls?

virginiatuck

imported post

FYI:

Section 159:6-e

159:6-e Violation. – Any person aggrieved by a violation of the licensing sections of this chapter by a licensing entity may petition the superior court of the county in which the alleged violation occurred for injunctive relief. The court shall give proceedings under this chapter priority on the court calendar. Such a petitioner may appear with or without counsel. The petition shall be deemed sufficient if it states facts constituting a violation of the licensing sections of this chapter by the licensing entity, and may be filed by the petitioner or the petitioner's counsel with the clerk of court or the justice. The clerk of court or any justice shall order service by copy of the petition on the licensing entity or a person employed by the entity. If the justice finds that time is of the essence, the justice may order notice by any reasonable means, and shall have authority to issue an order ex parte when the justice reasonably deems such an order necessary to insure compliance with the provisions of this chapter.

PatMcCotter

Opt-Out Members
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
Snipped from 159:6 License to Carry. (note: this law was modified during the last legislative session, but has not yet been updated on the nh.gov web site)
"When required, license renewal shall take place within the month of the fourth anniversary of the license holder's date of birth following the date of issuance."

I wonder if this rule means that if your birth date is earlier in the year than the date of issuance, that you could get up to an extra year on your license than someone whose birth date is later in the year than the date of issuance. For instance, if your birth date is 01JAN and your license is issued on 01FEB2009...your first "date of birth following the date of issuance" is 01JAN2010; the fourth anniversary from that date is 01JAN2014, so would the date of expiration be 31JAN2014?
This is exactly the rule. Some local PDs have tried to issue a license that expired less than four years because of that scenario and got their figurative hands slapped.