• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA people, where is the longest range in the area?

hsmith

imported post

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a AR50 and if I want to get it, I want to shoot it. So where in the area (yes, I realize there won't be a 2000yd range in Fairfax :p)

nearby WV?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

hsmith wrote:
I've been tossing around the idea of getting a AR50 and if I want to get it, I want to shoot it. So where in the area (yes, I realize there won't be a 2000yd range in Fairfax :p)

nearby WV?
Quantico Shooting Club is your best bet IMHO.

tsannicolas

imported post

hsmith wrote:

nearby WV?
http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=VA

i'm pretty sure that you can find some land from the BLM in Viriginia where you can shoot.

W.E.G.

imported post

For all practical intents and purposes, except for black powder, Quantico does not allow civilians to discharge rifles larger than .30 caliber on their ranges.

Special permission - that you are not likely to get - is required for .50 BMG.

Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club (Charlottesville area) does allow .50 BMG.

Riana

imported post

I don't know how long the range is, but we've periodically gone out to the sighting-in range at C.F. Phelps. Only draw-back there is time of operations (mostly, that they're closed after the end of this month, until September), and you can ONLY fire rifles there - no handguns.

Thndr

imported post

I remember being told about Central Virginia Tactical having a 1500 yard range, but I don't know if it is open to the public or if Vern(owner/instructor) only uses it for the courses he offers.

Heard he is an excellent instructor for long range shooting.