• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm Recall

Edward Peruta

imported post

Received from a very reliable former member of Law Enforcement.

I'm just passing this along

The Illinois State Police Academy, Firearms Unit has learned there is a major safety recall by Smith and Wesson regarding the Walther PPK and PPK/S pistols. Smith and Wesson has identified a defect in certain pistols that could cause a chambered round to fire when the pistol's hammer is lowered, even without the trigger being pulled. Smith and Wesson is advising owners of affected Walther pistols to stop using the guns at once and return them to Smith and Wesson for installation of a new hammer block to remedy the defect. This recall applies to all Walther PPK and PPK/S pistols manufactured by Smith and Wesson between March 21, 2002, and February 3, 2009.

For further information, you may contact Smith and Wesson via the following
methods:

http://www.smith-wesson.com
Email: PPK_S@smith-wesson.commailto:PPK_S@smith-wesson.commailto:PPK_S@smith-wesson.commailto:PPK_S@smith-wesson.commailto:PPK_S@smith-wesson.com
Recall Hotline: 800/331-0852 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.)

romma

imported post

I sent in over two weeks ago for my shipping labels and haven't gotten them yet.

I called S&W and the said it would take time to get the labels out to everyone.

CTSAS.INFO

imported post

In a recent issue of the American Rifleman, Smith & Wesson also ordered a recall on the I-bolt (bolt action rifle) for a problem involving accidental discharges when the action is closed.

CTSAS.INFO

imported post

romma wrote:
Wow! Now the I-Bolt!! I finally got my shipping label emailed to me the other day. Getting ready to sendout the WaltherMonday...

From the American Rifleman, March, 2009 page 26:

"Smith & Wesson I-Bolt Rifle Recall"

"...The company has identified a condition that may exist...that would allow the striker to become disengaged from its locking tabs during CYCLING, allowing the rifle to FIRE WITHOUT THE TRIGGER BEING PULLED..."

(caps my emphasis to stress importance for safety!)

The recall applies to ALL S&W I-bolts made prior to Dec. 1, 2008

To get a repair tag: call (800) 331-0852, or email ibolt@smith-wesson.com

bennettprescott

Opt-Out Members
imported post

You just need more than one carry gun in case you have to send one in! I have... let's see.. four from three different manufacturers. Ought to cover me. Of course, 3/4 of those are .45 ACP, so if there's a problem with that round... :p