Thread: Magazines

Post imported post

I was going to put this in Holsters and Accessories but I would think its more directly related to carrying, and a mag isn't an accessory.

So my mags for my glock 30 magsrattle pretty damn loud with they are full, but not at all when they are missing one or more. I carry two so it sounds like I got a pocket full of maracas. I would make a video of it but my camera died, so take my word for it; its really annoying. My glock 22C had no such issue, nor does my brothers 17. I debated whether to carry 9 in each mag for a while but mine holds few enough. I cant reason why it only does it when full. Any suggestions? Ideas?

There are two in my pockets and the one in my gun so one will rattle with one step, then the other two with my next step. Its kind of funny but yeah other people can hear it.

Take it apart and stuff it full of toilet paper "shim" isn't a good suggestion before anyone tries that.

Post imported post

I don't have a Glock, but I believe they are double stack magazines, correct? It is possible with the one last round in there that there is enough free space around the rounds lower in the mag to allow them to move back and forth, hitting the sides of the mag. Probably doesn't affect anything, but it means that you get a rattle in your mags. I really can't think of anything you could do to stop this if it is a design issue of the mags themselves.

You could always just get a Hi Point and then it'll be normal for your gun and mags to rattle. :P

Post imported post

I have found that when my mags rattle that I can get everything to seat by tapping (sometimes pretty forcefully) the floorplate and/or the back of the back against my palm, sometimes once, sometimes one or the other, sometimes doing both a few times, but eventually I have been able to get them to seat. My buddy carries a Glock 30 and it's the same deal.

You don't say how much you have cycled the mags but if they have been cycled a lot I would think it conceivable that your mag springs are somewhat worn if this is a newer problem.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I've notice the same with some of my 13 rnd G21 .45ACP mags. I keep 12 rounds in the 13 rnd magazie and some will rattle a bit. When I pack my mag they tend to quiet down but start clicking again after a while.

It was funny the first time I noticed the clicking, I instinctively slapped the mag on my head - only to realize I wasn't wearing a helmet. Too funny.

-CharlesC

Post imported post

They are about two weeks old with 100 rounds fired so each one has been used once I'd say. I've kept All three fully loaded since I bought it.
    I'll try tapping them... But not against my head.
    Well look at that. Worked like a charm. Wonder how long they will stay like that. Very nice! Thanks deepdiver.

And to you CharlesC for letting me know that some habits do die hard. Painfully too I imagine yes?

Post imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
    They are about two weeks old with 100 rounds fired so each one has been used once I'd say. I've kept All three fully loaded since I bought it.
    I'll try tapping them... But not against my head.
    Well look at that. Worked like a charm. Wonder how long they will stay like that. Very nice! Thanks deepdiver.
    Glad to help. How long they stay that way just depends on how much they get jostled around, but now you know that a quick tap will stop it again.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

It's because Glock mags are junk. Buy the Korean ones, they ROCK at 1/2 the price.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

When the mag is inserted do the rounds still rattle?

VAopencarry wrote:
    It's because Glock mags are junk.
    Why is that?

And how about a link to those G30 mags at half the price, if you have a hard time finding those how about G21 mags?

Post imported post

CharlesC wrote:
    I've notice the same with some of my 13 rnd G21 .45ACP mags. I keep 12 rounds in the 13 rnd magazie and some will rattle a bit. When I pack my mag they tend to quiet down but start clicking again after a while.

It was funny the first time I noticed the clicking, I instinctively slapped the mag on my head - only to realize I wasn't wearing a helmet. Too funny.

-CharlesC
    ya that sucks. i thought i was the only one.I've done that too... habits are a bitch.

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    It's because Glock mags are junk. Buy the Korean ones, they ROCK at 1/2 the price.
    If you think the factory Glock magazine suck, I can't believe you're suggesting the Korean ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

just jokin fella's. Though I have heard the Korean mags are OK.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    Though I have heard the Korean mags are OK.
    Okay for plinking on the range. I wouldn't trust them to some hard training, or my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

CharlesC wrote:

-CharlesC
    I use the palm of my other hand. I may have a hard head but I don't want to hurt myself whacking over 7oz of metal into my head before loading my XD45. Those 230gr bullets add up

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    I don't have a Glock, but I believe they are double stack magazines, correct? It is possible with the one last round in there that there is enough free space around the rounds lower in the mag to allow them to move back and forth, hitting the sides of the mag. Probably doesn't affect anything, but it means that you get a rattle in your mags. I really can't think of anything you could do to stop this if it is a design issue of the mags themselves.

You could always just get a Hi Point and then it'll be normal for your gun and mags to rattle. :P
    I am holding my HI-POINT .45 loaded and I can hear no rattle . I pulled the mag shook it
    still no rattle and this weapon has 10,000 rounds thru it . sorry

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    I have found that when my mags rattle that I can get everything to seat by tapping (sometimes pretty forcefully) the floorplate and/or the back of the back against my palm, sometimes once, sometimes one or the other, sometimes doing both a few times, but eventually I have been able to get them to seat. My buddy carries a Glock 30 and it's the same deal.

You don't say how much you have cycled the mags but if they have been cycled a lot I would think it conceivable that your mag springs are somewhat worn if this is a newer problem.
    This.

Mag springs cost $5

Post imported post

dukenukum wrote:
    compmanio365 wrote:

I am holding my HI-POINT .45 loaded and I can hear no rattle . I pulled the mag shook it
    still no rattle and this weapon has 10,000 rounds thru it . sorry
    Well, I know the gun does, unless you took out the drop safety, and my mags always had a little rattle to them when I had a JHP 45. Never caused an issue with the gun though, always went bang when I pulled the trigger.