Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Magazines

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Scranton, Pa, ,
    Posts
    270

    Post imported post

    I was going to put this in Holsters and Accessories but I would think its more directly related to carrying, and a mag isn't an accessory.

    So my mags for my glock 30 magsrattle pretty damn loud with they are full, but not at all when they are missing one or more. I carry two so it sounds like I got a pocket full of maracas. I would make a video of it but my camera died, so take my word for it; its really annoying. My glock 22C had no such issue, nor does my brothers 17. I debated whether to carry 9 in each mag for a while but mine holds few enough. I cant reason why it only does it when full. Any suggestions? Ideas?

    There are two in my pockets and the one in my gun so one will rattle with one step, then the other two with my next step. Its kind of funny but yeah other people can hear it.

    Take it apart and stuff it full of toilet paper "shim" isn't a good suggestion before anyone tries that.


  2. #2
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    I don't have a Glock, but I believe they are double stack magazines, correct? It is possible with the one last round in there that there is enough free space around the rounds lower in the mag to allow them to move back and forth, hitting the sides of the mag. Probably doesn't affect anything, but it means that you get a rattle in your mags. I really can't think of anything you could do to stop this if it is a design issue of the mags themselves.

    You could always just get a Hi Point and then it'll be normal for your gun and mags to rattle. :P

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    I have found that when my mags rattle that I can get everything to seat by tapping (sometimes pretty forcefully) the floorplate and/or the back of the back against my palm, sometimes once, sometimes one or the other, sometimes doing both a few times, but eventually I have been able to get them to seat. My buddy carries a Glock 30 and it's the same deal.

    You don't say how much you have cycled the mags but if they have been cycled a lot I would think it conceivable that your mag springs are somewhat worn if this is a newer problem.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    67

    Post imported post

    I've notice the same with some of my 13 rnd G21 .45ACP mags. I keep 12 rounds in the 13 rnd magazie and some will rattle a bit. When I pack my mag they tend to quiet down but start clicking again after a while.

    It was funny the first time I noticed the clicking, I instinctively slapped the mag on my head - only to realize I wasn't wearing a helmet. Too funny.


    -CharlesC

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Scranton, Pa, ,
    Posts
    270

    Post imported post

    They are about two weeks old with 100 rounds fired so each one has been used once I'd say. I've kept All three fully loaded since I bought it.
    I'll try tapping them... But not against my head.
    Well look at that. Worked like a charm. Wonder how long they will stay like that. Very nice! Thanks deepdiver.

    And to you CharlesC for letting me know that some habits do die hard. Painfully too I imagine yes?

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    YllwFvr wrote:
    They are about two weeks old with 100 rounds fired so each one has been used once I'd say. I've kept All three fully loaded since I bought it.
    I'll try tapping them... But not against my head.
    Well look at that. Worked like a charm. Wonder how long they will stay like that. Very nice! Thanks deepdiver.
    Glad to help. How long they stay that way just depends on how much they get jostled around, but now you know that a quick tap will stop it again.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  7. #7
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147

    Post imported post

    It's because Glock mags are junk. Buy the Korean ones, they ROCK at 1/2 the price.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    camano island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    65

    Post imported post

    When the mag is inserted do the rounds still rattle?

    VAopencarry wrote:
    It's because Glock mags are junk.
    Why is that?


    And how about a link to those G30 mags at half the price, if you have a hard time finding those how about G21 mags?




  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Holloman AFB, , USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    CharlesC wrote:
    I've notice the same with some of my 13 rnd G21 .45ACP mags. I keep 12 rounds in the 13 rnd magazie and some will rattle a bit. When I pack my mag they tend to quiet down but start clicking again after a while.

    It was funny the first time I noticed the clicking, I instinctively slapped the mag on my head - only to realize I wasn't wearing a helmet. Too funny.


    -CharlesC
    ya that sucks. i thought i was the only one.I've done that too... habits are a bitch.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    VAopencarry wrote:
    It's because Glock mags are junk. Buy the Korean ones, they ROCK at 1/2 the price.
    If you think the factory Glock magazine suck, I can't believe you're suggesting the Korean ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  11. #11
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147

    Post imported post

    just jokin fella's. Though I have heard the Korean mags are OK.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    VAopencarry wrote:
    Though I have heard the Korean mags are OK.
    Okay for plinking on the range. I wouldn't trust them to some hard training, or my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    CharlesC wrote:

    It was funny the first time I noticed the clicking, I instinctively slapped the mag on my head - only to realize I wasn't wearing a helmet. Too funny.


    -CharlesC
    I use the palm of my other hand. I may have a hard head but I don't want to hurt myself whacking over 7oz of metal into my head before loading my XD45. Those 230gr bullets add up

  14. #14
    Regular Member dukenukum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    270

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    I don't have a Glock, but I believe they are double stack magazines, correct? It is possible with the one last round in there that there is enough free space around the rounds lower in the mag to allow them to move back and forth, hitting the sides of the mag. Probably doesn't affect anything, but it means that you get a rattle in your mags. I really can't think of anything you could do to stop this if it is a design issue of the mags themselves.

    You could always just get a Hi Point and then it'll be normal for your gun and mags to rattle. :P
    I am holding my HI-POINT .45 loaded and I can hear no rattle . I pulled the mag shook it
    still no rattle and this weapon has 10,000 rounds thru it . sorry

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    914

    Post imported post

    deepdiver wrote:
    I have found that when my mags rattle that I can get everything to seat by tapping (sometimes pretty forcefully) the floorplate and/or the back of the back against my palm, sometimes once, sometimes one or the other, sometimes doing both a few times, but eventually I have been able to get them to seat. My buddy carries a Glock 30 and it's the same deal.

    You don't say how much you have cycled the mags but if they have been cycled a lot I would think it conceivable that your mag springs are somewhat worn if this is a newer problem.
    This.

    Mag springs cost $5

  16. #16
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    dukenukum wrote:
    compmanio365 wrote:
    I don't have a Glock, but I believe they are double stack magazines, correct? It is possible with the one last round in there that there is enough free space around the rounds lower in the mag to allow them to move back and forth, hitting the sides of the mag. Probably doesn't affect anything, but it means that you get a rattle in your mags. I really can't think of anything you could do to stop this if it is a design issue of the mags themselves.

    You could always just get a Hi Point and then it'll be normal for your gun and mags to rattle. :P
    I am holding my HI-POINT .45 loaded and I can hear no rattle . I pulled the mag shook it
    still no rattle and this weapon has 10,000 rounds thru it . sorry
    Well, I know the gun does, unless you took out the drop safety, and my mags always had a little rattle to them when I had a JHP 45. Never caused an issue with the gun though, always went bang when I pulled the trigger.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •