• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Magazines

YllwFvr

imported post

I was going to put this in Holsters and Accessories but I would think its more directly related to carrying, and a mag isn't an accessory.

So my mags for my glock 30 magsrattle pretty damn loud with they are full, but not at all when they are missing one or more. I carry two so it sounds like I got a pocket full of maracas. I would make a video of it but my camera died, so take my word for it; its really annoying. My glock 22C had no such issue, nor does my brothers 17. I debated whether to carry 9 in each mag for a while but mine holds few enough. I cant reason why it only does it when full. Any suggestions? Ideas?

There are two in my pockets and the one in my gun so one will rattle with one step, then the other two with my next step. Its kind of funny but yeah other people can hear it.

Take it apart and stuff it full of toilet paper "shim" isn't a good suggestion before anyone tries that.

compmanio365

imported post

I don't have a Glock, but I believe they are double stack magazines, correct? It is possible with the one last round in there that there is enough free space around the rounds lower in the mag to allow them to move back and forth, hitting the sides of the mag. Probably doesn't affect anything, but it means that you get a rattle in your mags. I really can't think of anything you could do to stop this if it is a design issue of the mags themselves.

You could always just get a Hi Point and then it'll be normal for your gun and mags to rattle. :p

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have found that when my mags rattle that I can get everything to seat by tapping (sometimes pretty forcefully) the floorplate and/or the back of the back against my palm, sometimes once, sometimes one or the other, sometimes doing both a few times, but eventually I have been able to get them to seat. My buddy carries a Glock 30 and it's the same deal.

You don't say how much you have cycled the mags but if they have been cycled a lot I would think it conceivable that your mag springs are somewhat worn if this is a newer problem.

CharlesC

imported post

I've notice the same with some of my 13 rnd G21 .45ACP mags. I keep 12 rounds in the 13 rnd magazie and some will rattle a bit. When I pack my mag they tend to quiet down but start clicking again after a while.

It was funny the first time I noticed the clicking, I instinctively slapped the mag on my head - only to realize I wasn't wearing a helmet. Too funny.

-CharlesC

YllwFvr

imported post

They are about two weeks old with 100 rounds fired so each one has been used once I'd say. I've kept All three fully loaded since I bought it.
I'll try tapping them... But not against my head.
Well look at that. Worked like a charm. Wonder how long they will stay like that. Very nice! Thanks deepdiver.

And to you CharlesC for letting me know that some habits do die hard. Painfully too I imagine yes?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
They are about two weeks old with 100 rounds fired so each one has been used once I'd say. I've kept All three fully loaded since I bought it.
I'll try tapping them... But not against my head.
Well look at that. Worked like a charm. Wonder how long they will stay like that. Very nice! Thanks deepdiver.
Glad to help. How long they stay that way just depends on how much they get jostled around, but now you know that a quick tap will stop it again.

esstac

imported post

When the mag is inserted do the rounds still rattle?

VAopencarry wrote:
It's because Glock mags are junk.
Why is that?

And how about a link to those G30 mags at half the price, if you have a hard time finding those how about G21 mags?

Jizzzle

imported post

CharlesC wrote:
I've notice the same with some of my 13 rnd G21 .45ACP mags. I keep 12 rounds in the 13 rnd magazie and some will rattle a bit. When I pack my mag they tend to quiet down but start clicking again after a while.

It was funny the first time I noticed the clicking, I instinctively slapped the mag on my head - only to realize I wasn't wearing a helmet. Too funny.

-CharlesC
ya that sucks. i thought i was the only one.I've done that too... habits are a bitch.

nova

imported post

CharlesC wrote:

-CharlesC
I use the palm of my other hand. I may have a hard head but I don't want to hurt myself whacking over 7oz of metal into my head before loading my XD45. Those 230gr bullets add up :lol:

dukenukum

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I don't have a Glock, but I believe they are double stack magazines, correct? It is possible with the one last round in there that there is enough free space around the rounds lower in the mag to allow them to move back and forth, hitting the sides of the mag. Probably doesn't affect anything, but it means that you get a rattle in your mags. I really can't think of anything you could do to stop this if it is a design issue of the mags themselves.

You could always just get a Hi Point and then it'll be normal for your gun and mags to rattle. :p
I am holding my HI-POINT .45 loaded and I can hear no rattle . I pulled the mag shook it
still no rattle and this weapon has 10,000 rounds thru it . sorry :(

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I have found that when my mags rattle that I can get everything to seat by tapping (sometimes pretty forcefully) the floorplate and/or the back of the back against my palm, sometimes once, sometimes one or the other, sometimes doing both a few times, but eventually I have been able to get them to seat. My buddy carries a Glock 30 and it's the same deal.

You don't say how much you have cycled the mags but if they have been cycled a lot I would think it conceivable that your mag springs are somewhat worn if this is a newer problem.

This.

Mag springs cost $5

compmanio365

imported post

dukenukum wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:

I am holding my HI-POINT .45 loaded and I can hear no rattle . I pulled the mag shook it
still no rattle and this weapon has 10,000 rounds thru it . sorry :(
Well, I know the gun does, unless you took out the drop safety, and my mags always had a little rattle to them when I had a JHP 45. Never caused an issue with the gun though, always went bang when I pulled the trigger.