• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Houston Chronicle: "Texans will have to wait to openly tote a pistol"

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://blogs.chron.com/texaspolitics/archives/2009/03/post_36.html
Texans will have to wait to openly tote a pistol
Texas_open_carry_bilboard.jpg
[font="verdana, arial, helvetica, san-serif"]OpenCarry.Org [/font]
The hopes of nearly 60,000 people who signed an online petition at
OpenCarry.org
have been all but dashed, as no member of the Legislature has filed a bill that would allow Texans with a concealed carry license to openly tote their pistols.

Today is the filing deadline for bills, though technically lawmakers can still introduce legislation with the support of their colleagues. And after months lobbying the Legislature, members of the grassroots gun group have conceded that they could not persuade any Texas lawmaker to file open carry legislation this session, said Ian McCarthy, a student who chairs the Texas Open Carry Work Group.

"I've been calling, meeting, doing everything but nobody wants to introduce it," he said.

It's not as if there wasn't ample interest among lawmakers, McCarthy said, but "most of them are just loaded down with so many bills they've already introduced."

State Rep. Debbie Riddle, whom the open carry folks tagged months ago as the bills presumptive sponsor, had the legislation drafted but never introduced it. Her chief of staff explained to open carry members in an email that such legislation was unlikely to pass and that talks of an open carry proposal have already caused difficulties for other Second Amendments bills.

If it's any consolation, Riddle, R-Houston, did file legislation earlier this week that would allow a disabled person with a concealed carry license to openly carry a firearm if their disability prevents them from otherwise concealing it.

"That's not exactly what we were going for," McCarthy said.

Another important factor to consider in the open carry equation:

In the roughly six months since the group started fundraising through online donations to pay for radio spots, billboards and advertising on taxi's across Texas, they apparently did little to gain favor with the gun lobby.

The Texas State Rifle Association, a state affiliate of the National Rifle Association, never publicly supported the proposal, saying instead they were focusing this session on their current agenda, which did not include open carry. Ultimately, the lack of support from the influential gun lobby could have doomed the group's efforts to get a bill introduced, open carry members opined on their forums.

For now, McCarthy said the group would start focusing on a push for next session, when they anticipate asking for a bill that will allow all Texans, with or without a concealed carry license, to be allowed to openly tote their pistols.

"It's more a rights thing," he said. "People who have a concealed carry licensed, they didn't see a benefit in it."

Posted by David Rauf at March 13, 2009 04:42 PM

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Mike,

Introducing a standalone bill is one method, and a very loud one.

A subtler and often very effective method is to add whatever the heck you want as an amendement to some other bill.

Tex

imported post

If the bill for open carry for disabled persons passes, couldn't we argue equal protection under the law? What's good for the goose...

Confederate

imported post

"People who have a concealed carry licensed, they didn't see a benefit in it."

I sure do!! I have a CHL and I gave to the Fund, and wrote to my Representative.

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Confederate wrote:
"People who have a concealed carry licensed, they didn't see a benefit in it."

I sure do!! I have a CHL and I gave to the Fund, and wrote to my Representative.
Me too.

rpyne

imported post

Mike wrote:
The Texas State Rifle Association, a state affiliate of the National Rifle Association, never publicly supported the proposal, saying instead they were focusing this session on their current agenda, which did not include open carry. Ultimately, the lack of support from the influential gun lobby could have doomed the group's efforts to get a bill introduced, open carry members opined on their forums.
There is the whole basis for the problem. Sadly, the NRA is NOT your friend when it comes right down to defending your rights. As we have learned the hard way here in Utah, the NRA is almost as willing to give away your rights in the name of "reasonableness" and "sporting use" as is the Brady Campaign. They have shown it it so repeatedly.

The best thing you can do is to organize yourselves as something like "Gun Owners of Texas". Make yourselves known to every state legislator who will talk to you and make sure they know that the NRA does not represent you when they fail to stand up for your rights. Just because the legislature is not in session, don't ease up on them. Make contact with them throughout the year and make them commit to supporting your rights. If they won't, go to work to elect legislators who will. You DO have the power to unseat those who will not stand up for your rights. Get a committee going en every legislative district in the state and keep the pressure on. Make sure they know you by name and make sure they know that you know how they vote.

There are far too many state and federal legislators who look only to the NRA for guidance on what to or not to support.

The next thing to do is to stop funding those who will not stand for your rights! Whether it is an organization, a political party, a legislator, or a business. There is great power in affecting their bank account, and make sure you let them know what you are doing and why.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

What I said was that the TSRA and that Riddle said that they didn't see the need for licensed OC because we already have CHL licenses and it wasn't that "important."

We have no choice but to introduce an unlicensed OC bill next session, it's the only way to properly argue the "rights" issue.

rpyne

imported post

Ian wrote:
What I said was that the TSRA and that Riddle said that they didn't see the need for licensed OC because we already have CHL licenses and it wasn't that "important."

We have no choice but to introduce an unlicensed OC bill next session, it's the only way to properly argue the "rights" issue.
Exactly. If it isn't their idea and part of their agenda, they really don't give a hoot what the people want. The NRA is completely satisfied with requiring licensing and registration to exercise the RKBA.

What you NEED is unlicensed carry. I am amazed that Texas who claims to be such a bastion of liberty doesn't have Constitutional (Vermont style) Carry.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

We need to see how important they think it is to be re-elected! Right now 59201 people think that they want Open Carry!

NativeTexan

imported post

rpyne wrote:
Ian wrote:
Exactly. If it isn't their idea and part of their agenda, they really don't give a hoot what the people want. The NRA is completely satisfied with requiring licensing and registration to exercise the RKBA.

What you NEED is unlicensed carry. I am amazed that Texas who claims to be such a bastion of liberty doesn't have Constitutional (Vermont style) Carry.
Precisely and that is one more reason why I am still resisting joining the NRA. They need to grow some.

TFred

imported post

Cowboy_Rick wrote:
We need to see how important they think it is to be re-elected! Right now 59201 people think that they want Open Carry!
Perhaps the effort should be more concentrated... 60,000 signatures in Riddle's district might just convince her to submit the bill next time!

TFred

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
Cowboy_Rick wrote:
Perhaps the effort should be more concentrated... 60,000 signatures in Riddle's district might just convince her to submit the bill next time!

TFred
one district is not going to do it. even if a single rep submitted a bill, how many other reps out there with TSRA/NRA backing or more liberal/anti-gun constituents is going to sponsor or vote for it?

EMSIG

imported post

Im moving to Houston, from IN and I want to OC!!! This is Texas com on, I would think we could get more Texans on board than this.:cuss: