• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kansas open carry question?

Dixienormas

imported post

Hello all, I am knew to the forum but have been lurking for some time now. I have been a long time gun owner and am very familiar with all types of guns, shotguns, rifles, and hanguns. I have been contemplating taking the required class and applying for my conceal to carry license. I have since came across this site and have opened up to the practice of open carry. I have not attemped this as of yet as I want to make sure of all the stipulations for my area. I have asked a LEO friend of mine and he says "To his knowledge" it is 100% legal, although I will probably be stopped and checked out by about every cop in town I come across as this is not common practice in my town until they become accustomed to me and my pratice of OC.
I dont't think this would bother me as I know LEO's have a job to do just like everyone else and I personally know several LEO's here in town as my town is not large/but not small by any means. I think my best option would be to go ahead and take the class and apply for the CC permit so I will have the option to CC or OC as the situation permits as I have a new son on the way and want to be able to protect my family 100% of the time.

I guess the purpose of this post is to ask if anyone has any information on what the town policy of Garden City and Liberal Kansas might be? I have been strugling to find any information directly realted to these two towns. Are there any stipulations to how you have to OC? Where you are alowed to OC? Am I allowed to have one in the pipe ready to go? I have noticed serveral signs around town with a handgun and a line drawn thru it. Is it illegal to carry into these places OC and CC? Or do I just need to leave when asked to avoid criminal trespass? Any and all insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

MuellerBadener

imported post

I used to live in kansas & some of the rules are kind of iffy because local ordinances Can override the states open carry rules. If your local city doesn't have an ordinace against it though you can open carry anywhere except State or federal offices or a bar (Even your law enforcement friends aren't supposed to open carry in a bar when off-duty)

When I was living in Lawrence, I used to open carry my S&W Highway Patrolman .357 everywhere, the store, the bank, the city park. All the uber-liberals thought it was terrible, but as they say,"Aright not exercised is a right lost"

Mueller badener

Walleye

imported post

Garden City and Liberal you'd probably have to go to the town hall to get information on offenses for both cities, but it's highly unlikely they would ban the practice given the location. Still, you never know, so it would be wise to check and see what the local laws are.

Definitely get the CC permit if you can afford it. Total cost will be around $300 with all expenses considered. It helps to keep you out of trouble with certain unconstitutional federal laws and gives you more options for visiting CC-only cities. If you haven't already, check out the KSAG site: http://www.ksag.org/content/page/id/90

How you OC - only stipulation is that all or part of the gun must be visible. If the gun can be seen, you're in the green.

Where you can OC - generally, same places you can CC (unless prohibited by local law). The gunbuster sign only applies to CC, but my opinion is that the intent is the same so you shouldn't enter a building OCing if the gunbuster sign is present. You can get into a lot of trouble for ignoring that sign - Class A misdemeanor the moment you cross that line, if you're CCing. I doubt there would be much distinction between OC and CC in that regard. Besides, if they don't want guns there (concealed or open), then they clearly don't want law-abiding citizens to spend there money there.

No requirements on the condition of the firearm - can be condition 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4. If you're unfamiliar with that, Condition 0 is round chambered, hanner cocked, safety off; Condition 1 is round chambered, hammer cocked, safety on; Condition 2 is round chambered, hammer down; Condition 3 is chamber empty, loaded magazine; and Condition 4 is no magazine, no round chambered. I carry Condition 2 as I have a double action auto pistol.