• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

left handed guns?

poothrowingape

imported post

I know there are a few ambedexrous guns, but im looking specifically for a left handed revolver. although i doubt such a gun exists. does anyone have any leads i can follow?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

jeeper1

imported post

I've had one for a while. It is not a weapon I will consider as a carry gun.
First, the trigger reset on mine all but requires me to remove my finger from the trigger to reset.
Second, the crane (I think that is what it is called) is so short that the cylinder does not get out far enough to let me use a HKS reloader even with the grips off.
Maybe speed strips will work but I don't have any.

curtm1911

imported post

First things First. I am a lefty. I have No Problems with any revolver on the market to date. They are pretty ambidextrious in operation to begin with. Now pay close attention to this advice/suggestions. Use your trigger finger for the operations of it. Come out of the trigger guard to open the cylinder, swap hands to hold it. Your right thumb goes through the frame. Get Speed Loader out with your left hand. Load. Close action. Resume firing with your left hand. It requires thought and training, but then I have done itfor 40+ years, but give it a try. It Does Work. BTW, when you close it from the reload, you use your right hand/fingers to close the cylinder and you come back to a left handed grip. At least I do, but again try it and you will find it just happening. Don't even bother with a "Left Handed Revolver" what already exsisits works just fine with a bit of practice, which you should be doing anyway. The only firearm that you might/do need an ambi set-up is a 1911, and I heard somewhere that John Browning was left handed. Out of the trigger guard, drop empty mag with trigger finger, reload, trip slide stop, again with trigger finger and rock on.........try it, in fact it works with almost all semi autos with a mag release behindthe trigger guard, carry your extra mags on your right side and you got it made, but that is just how it works for me. I hope this helps you somewhat, like I said, give it a try.

jeeper1

imported post

That's the way I've been doing it. I bought the CA Southpaw more as a novelty than anything else. Also I figured they would not be produced for very long.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
I have no idea how this double posted, I know firearms, not computers
Clicked twice on send - it'll do it every time.

Just edit the last one & delete the DP.

Yata hey

poothrowingape

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
First things First....
thank you for the instruction, i tried it on my father's colt detective special and it wasnt as difficult as i thought it would be.

as for the semi auto guns that is the techique i ussually use with the exception of the slide release. i dont use slide releases, i just invert and rack.

curtm1911

imported post

YUP it works, and it is pretty easy with Practice, which you should do Regularly anyway. BTW, glad to help too :Djust call it "Experience" or to quote Clint in "Heartbreak Ridge", ' Adapt, Improvise, Overcome' and my little addition, learn sumpin new and try it

ENJOY, and Live Long And Prosper

Spectre

imported post

kle wrote:
  I thought there was a single-action revolver with the loading-gate on the left side at one point, too.  Can't remember the model or maker, though.

I thought all Colt SAA clones and even the original had the gate on the right side so it could be held in the left hand and loaded with the right hand.

kle

imported post

Spectre wrote:
kle wrote:
I thought there was a single-action revolver with the loading-gate on the left side at one point, too. Can't remember the model or maker, though.

I thought all Colt SAA clones and even the original had the gate on the right side so it could be held in the left hand and loaded with the right hand.
Yup, but I remember there was one that had the loading gate on the other side for some reason.

Spectre

imported post

kle wrote:
Spectre wrote:
kle wrote:
  I thought there was a single-action revolver with the loading-gate on the left side at one point, too.  Can't remember the model or maker, though.

Yup, but I remember there was one that had the loading gate on the other side for some reason.

Well that's something I might have to research.